The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Are loops really that hard to see? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex1
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Alex1
I saw Brad Christian (Ellusion) do some effects with a loop on his DVD. The effects are great, but is the thread really that hard to see? (Obviously I've never had the chance to see a loop firsthand).

I'm interesting in learning some thread effects, but I'm worried that some (or many) can see something that's just a foot or two in front of their face.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5414 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Performance conditions with regard to lighting and background design are important factors to consider. Ron Jaxon (cafe member extraordinaire) has an excellent video file demonstrating this, and he is a treasure chest of information on the subject.

Best of luck!
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Under direct lighting (light immediately overhead) and extremely bright direct sunlight the loop can be visible. I've found ways of using body position to shadow when working under immediate overhead lights. Sunlight just takes a bit of experimentation. Sometimes conditions just dictate, "don't use it."

Distance is also a factor. Most who can see the loop will be fairly close to you, probably within 6-8 feet. The farther away the are the more invisible the loop even under fairly well lite conditions.

When lighting is indirect and you are not in sunlight, it is pretty much invisible even within a few inches. This, of course, depends on the type of material the loop is made from.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
With PK work where there is fast movement of an object, I see very little possibility of seeing anything.
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
They are very hard to see
if you use them right.
It takes practice, like all
in Magic and other skills.

I use my Daughter to test my tricks.
She is 5 1/2 and sees all. When I can
fool her all is good. Problem is she
looks at my gear when I'm not around
and figures things out...

Oh, that was good, Daddy,
but I think you used a "finger"...
Lol. High hopes for her!

I was only busted once using IT
(and not by my daughter) when I first
started using it long ago.
It is as Magic as You
are or want to be.

You really gotta practice and experiment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Are loops really that hard to see? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL