The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Showreel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hi
thought you might like to see my new 2009 showreel....
http://youtube.com/user/mattwainwrightcom
Any thoughts (constructive!) are welcome.
Cheers,
matt
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
I usually hate magic promo videos, bu I thoroughly enjoyed that. Production is good, magic is clear. You've got a winner. Nice work.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Not bad.

The only thing I don't like is when I see a magician put a spec's card in the mouth...GROSS times TEN.

Think about this -

Would you do that if you knew the person used the restroom but did NOT wash their hands, before you did the card trick?

You NEVER know where their hands have been...but now they were all over your card and you are now holding the card in your mouth!!!

Yikes!!!

Gross and even worse, you are just waiting for some germs and bacteria to make you (VERY) sick...

Other than that, it was a very good video production (although I would cut down on those transitions a little) and you seem like a real nice guy. Maybe next video put your contact info right up front.

Good job and much luck to you!
whateverisisright
View Profile
Regular user
Savannah, Georgia
132 Posts

Profile of whateverisisright
Very well done - I enjoyed it. While I don't mind the previously mentioned cards-in-mouth, I don't know that it's necessary in a promo video simply because the video observer doesn't get the full effect...they just see a video of a guy holding a card in his/her mouth without the trick leading up to it. Anyway, I wouldn't have even commented on it had someone else not mentioned it as a dislike...

Well done.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Very nice.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is everyone an "Award Winning Magician"? Does it not eventually start to take away impact from those words?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 18:45, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why is everyone an "Award Winning Magician"? Does it not eventually start to take away impact from those words?

I have a trophy upstairs,
and I think it helps sell it/me to laymen (the main reason for this showreel is to bring in more bookings).
So why not use it
Thanks for all you comments and feedback so far.
matt wainwright
Sussex Magic Circle close up magician of the year 2005/6
arniemagic1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of arniemagic1
The impact of closeup magic is diminished on video. I started to loose interest a bit about half way through. I would make faster cuts putting the reaction shots one after the other because we really can't always see very clearly exactly what they're reacting to. Your reactions of the people are priceless and are enough to sell me. I would put quick visuals to show your skill together as well. Open and close with the strongest quotes. Main suggestion is faster pace with maybe one short routine that we can have the same reaction to as the spectator we are watching. You are very talented and my feeling is that you are even better than the video suggests.
manks123
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of manks123
Nice I like it.

Stefan
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 04:21, matt.magicman wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 18:45, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why is EVERYONE an "Award Winning Magician"? Does it not eventually start to take away impact from those words?

I have a trophy upstairs
and I think it helps sell it/me to laymen (the main reason for this showreel is to bring in more bookings)
so why not use it
thanks for all you comments and feedback so far
matt wainwright
sussex magic circle close up magician of the year 2005/6

It does not change my point now does it? The more "award winning magicians" out there, the less it tends to mean.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hi dannydoyle
I appreiciate what you are sayng
but to a laymen. who may have been passed my card, recommended etc...
when they watch the link I hope a quick flash of text like that will make them realise that I'm serious (as well as the performances / reactions)
hopefully they won't find me number 12 down the list of "award winning magicians"??
cheers
amtt
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
I'm going to have to come down on Matt's side on the award winning comment. If you've got the credential, use it.

After all, he's also got strong reactions shown in the video, which back up the award winning claim.

If he said award winning and then showed bad magic, it would indeed lose its impact.

I would say that I'd say maybe cut a bit out to make it move a little faster. But I've always felt (based on nothing) that a slower video can be more sophisticated.

But all in all, I enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
So they ask "what award" and it is some little magic community thingie. Helps you or hurts you?

I have always been a fan of letting the work and resume' talk for you. At first glance it is great "Award Winning Magician". But if they ask, it does not seem as great as the 'flash' on the video. Plus every other guy they have looked at is an award winning magician!

I have seen a huge trend in this direction. I am telling you 2/3 of the video's I see say that on them.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I agree with Danny on this! Everyone is saying their an award winning magician. I'm guilty of this as well...my awards were from winning a local magic contest back in the early 90s. I won four years in a row. That and $2.00 won't buy me a gallon of gas.

Another trend that I hate seeing is people who say they are the "Premier" Magician in their area. Who says? You? A self proclaimed title with nothing to back it up. I can go onto 5 websites of Magicians in my area and they all say they are the premier magician in Dallas/Ft. Worth. How many premier's can one city have? Doesn't premier indicate that you're are the #1 talent in your area? How can there be five #1s? It makes no sense, and thus...lesson's the overall achievement.

Honestly, saying you're the best is easy. Proving you're the best is much harder. I know many people who have never entered a Magic Contest but have the talent and ability to blow many FISM winners out of the water. They just have no interest in competing.

So again...it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than you...so why mention it? Truth sells...not fluff. I'm in the process of re-doing my website to streamline it and rid if of the fluff as we speak.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
When I go to a gig and have to be introduced by the emcee, they ask me what to say. I tell them to just introduce me as "Here's Justin Style, a Nobody from New Jersey."

Because...that's the way, uh huh, uh huh I like it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 02:05, lylemagic wrote:
I agree with Danny on this! Everyone is saying their an award winning magician. I'm guilty of this as well...my awards were from winning a local magic contest back in the early 90s. I won four years in a row. That and $2.00 won't buy me a gallon of gas.

Another trend that I hate seeing is people who say they are the "Premier" Magician in their area. Who says? You? A self proclaimed title with nothing to back it up. I can go onto 5 websites of Magicians in my area and they all say they are the premier magician in Dallas/Ft. Worth. How many premier's can one city have? Doesn't premier indicate that you're are the #1 talent in your area? How can there be five #1s? It makes no sense, and thus...lesson's the overall achievement.

Honestly, saying you're the best is easy. Proving you're the best is much harder. I know many people who have never entered a Magic Contest but have the talent and ability to blow many FISM winners out of the water. They just have no interest in competing.

So again...it doesn't mean anything to anyone other than you...so why mention it? Truth sells...not fluff. I'm in the process of re-doing my website to streamline it and rid if of the fluff as we speak.

Christopher, yes. It is tougher to prove it, and it my view, has more impact.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
JordanB
View Profile
Special user
dallas, tx
644 Posts

Profile of JordanB
I agree with Chris for the most part.

I must say that if I had the Gold Medal of Excellence in Close Up Magic (like Eric DeCamps does) I would definitely highlight it on my resume/bio (like Eric DeCamps does).

However for the most part it has a marginalized impact directly related to the amount of competition. It's almost like saying "Best Pizza in Town". Who knows if that's true and furthermore...who cares.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-07 02:44, JordanB wrote:
Who knows if that's true and furthermore...who cares.

EXACTLY!

So let's say you won FISM! To a laymen...WTF? is FISM? The only reason for putting that ON your website is to show OTHER MAGICIANs "hey look at me, I'm good!"

I'm not saying DON'T but my point is, in the big scheme of things, John Smith needs Magical Entertainment for a party...he's not going to know what Grand Champion of FISM is or Runner Up at TAOM is or blah blah blah. He wants good magic. That's all that matters....
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1515 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Hi again
I really appreciate all of you comments and thoughts
at the end of the day, we are talking about a 3 second clip of text in the whole 4 minute promo
so I am hoping that the rest of the footage, including the reactions etc. will do the job
many thanks again
matt (award winning magician Smile )
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20427 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
EVERY SECOND MATTERS.

And if they are saying "wow I expected mor from an AWARD WINNING MAGICIAN" you are then making a promise you can't keep.

I am NOT SAYING that it is not backed up, I am saying this is the danger you may run into is all.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Showreel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL