The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAC Laptop or PC LapTop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm clueless. All I know is MAC people swear MAC's are better ( why they don't have the security issues I don't know ).

Can the MAC do anything other laptops do or are you left out because it's a PC world?

Can you read MS Word doc's, etc.

Thanks for helping a lost dog on this stuff.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Today's Macs can run windows. So if there is a program you need that isn't available for OS X, you can run windows and then the program in there. The only thing that PCs have over Macs is if you are a hardcore PC gamer. That and if you like tons of viruses, spyware, crashes and a big bloated OS. If you're into that, a PC is for you.

I'm a Mac.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The other big factor is price. Macs cost a lot more.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Ever look at what you get with a Mac? Plus all the factors I mentioned. Can you really put a price on the piece of mind that you won't have to worry about all that junk that plagues PC users?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Pepka, why doesn't MAC get as many virus attacks?

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
2 reasons, 1. Macs run a more secure OS that is based on Linux. 2. And probably the biggest reason, viruses written for PCs just won't work on Macs, it's a different language. Jerkwads who write viruses want to attack as many people as possible, and since Macs are a much smaller market share, they write for PCs. Now there have been very few virus exploits for Mac that have been proven, but never released in the wild. Plus the machines run much more stable since the same company makes the hardware and software. They were made for each other. As opposed to Windows which has to work on machines made by dozens of manufacturers.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
People don't really write viruses for macs because it won't do as much damage. Not as many people have macs so there is not as many victims. At least that is what I am told. I am also told that macs have better built in security but I am no expert on that. I just know that I have never put any antivirus on my machine and never have had any problems. Also macs do disk defrag in the background so you are always defragmented.

I have a eMac that I use daily that I got in Aug 2001. It works great! I have never ever had a virus or anything resembling that. I have downloaded plenty of suspicious sounding software in my days of piracy. I did limewire etc, never any problems. It was pretty funny when this email virus was going around my college campus - my computer just downloaded it as a text file. It had no effect on me besides a good laugh. Also if you are doing any kind of video editing, music recording, graphics editing, Macs rule. I am not a hardcore gamer but I do play games and I have never had a problem finding games that work on my mac.

Cons: The price of macs is pretty darn high. I am glad that my computer has lasted for so long, it kind of justifies the price but paying that much for a computer is pretty harsh. Also the hardware on macs is hermetically sealed. It is very annoying when you want to upgrade the hardware. But you are talking about laptops so you wouldn't really be able to mess around with it anyway.

Don't believe all the mac hype, they aren't perfect. But I would have to say from experience that they work a LOT better for a LOT longer than pcs.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
This has been quite an education and I appreciate the time everyone has taken.

A fiend just bought a desk top MAC and it was only $1,300. It's like a 20 inch screen also.

I know the laptops would be more. I'm 'guessing' around 2K.

pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Depends on how you're going to use it. If you don't need a huge screen and only want it for surfing, email wp and some basic stuff, their lower end Macbooks would be fine for you. You can pick up a pretty nice one for around $1200. There should be an Apple store in your area, go and check them out.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Pepka, that's about all I would use it for at this point.

I wonder, buy from a MAC store, or Best Buy?

Thanks for the great help!!

Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Macs don't have as many security issues as PCs. They can still get viruses. The only reason they don't get the amount PCs get is because there aren't as many people using macs as there are using PCs. PCs are used more widespread for personal and business uses ect. So there are more people looking to exploit that. Personally, I can't wait until there are as many mac users as PC users, because then there will be just as many people writing viruses for them. Smile

With boot camp you can run windows on a mac. But you still need to buy that copy of windows. If you want to play games, it's pretty much useless though.

Unless you are a complete dunce, and don't learn basic security measures, then you'll probably get viruses or other malicious software. Nobody I know, that is half way decent with a computer, has ever gotten a bad virus.

As for a laptop you won't be able to upgrade anything down the road with a mac. But for a laptop the only things you really can upgrade is the RAM and the HDD (at least easily). A few screws and a little bit of time and that's an easy upgrade for a PC laptop. On a mac... ha ha Smile If it breaks down and it's beyond it warranty, it will most likely end up costing you a lot more to have it repaired.

If you're into overpaying for what you get and need a reason to act like a snob, mac is for you Smile
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
"Personally, I can't wait until there are as many mac users as PC users, because then there will be just as many people writing viruses for them"

seems someone's got a wee bit of a vendetta. Mac run over your cat?
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I went to the Apple store today. I am writing you on a year old I mac that I love but I had spilled a beer on my 5+ year old power book (now called a mac book or something). After spilling the beer I unplugged and shut it down to dry. Two days later it worked fine but as I was wiping the keyboard down I broke off the letter O. They fixed it for free and she still runs great. She has traveled around 2 million miles in 5 years and I would never trade her for a PC. Plus, most of my friends that have PC laptops, I have found them to be heavy and large. So, how much are you going to travel? If you are not going to do Video then go with the little white mac book, or what ever it's called these days. Order it online and GET THE APPLE CARE PROTECTION. It's 300 bucks more, aprox. They will tell you how to do anything over the phone and fix anything in less than a week.

You can get a white mac book for around a grand.
Desk tops are around the same with more oomph. If you don't travel that is what you want.

Go play with one and then order it online. It will be delivered to your house. Get an extra battery if you travel much.

You will need to purchase Micro word for mac and even the PC software that is not included.

If you buy from the store you get todays model. Buy online you get tomorrows model. I know because I ordered mine when they were still titanium but they sent me the aluminum one instead.

Building websites, sharing photos and music. Me and my wife share our I life. I love macs.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
For your first time, I'd absolutely go to an Apple store. If you take your PC, they can also transfer all the files over for you, (I believe for free.) You're not going to save any money by going to Best Buy, prices are the same.

Joey, that's the most asinine thing I've read on here. And there are quite a few asses on the Café'.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 18:50, scaevola wrote:
"Personally, I can't wait until there are as many mac users as PC users, because then there will be just as many people writing viruses for them Smile"

seems someone's got a wee bit of a vendetta. Mac run over your cat?

Worse. Macs killed my parents!
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Cancer and alcoholism killed mine, but I don't wish it on anyone.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I am about to cross the line and become a MAC Daddy!

I have been checking around and at the Apple store. I found Macmall.com has good deals and you can save a few bucks.

I'm looking at a 2 gig Mac Book $1,299.

I want to use my mac to start podcasting.

The Apple store offers a special deal, $99.00/year for a personal one-on-one class, once per week. I plan on buying my Mac and taking the class. So even though the machine is $1,299. there are a few add ons that you'll have to get. So really plan on spending an extra C-note or two. Figure on $1,599 after it's all said and done.

Not only am I excited about learning podcasting, but I am going to learn everything there is to know about movie maker, or whatever they call it!

BTW: I just got a new PC this past summer. I'll still use it because it has more power and memory than the MAC, but the MAC has every other thing I want to accomplish. I just might be Bi-Co for a while...lol

Hello, I'm Justin...about to become a MAC! (Daddy)
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Make sure you get a big one... A BIG MAC! Smile
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Paul, I advised your doctor twice already this year not to up your dosage.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I'm headed to the Apple Store this week!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAC Laptop or PC LapTop (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL