The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAC Laptop or PC LapTop (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Good man, keep us posted. Now, for my consultant fee, I'll just require your TA boxed set shipped overnight to me.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
One other resource to consider, if you're looking to save on Apple computers, is Apple's online refurbished Mac store.

These are all Apple computers that people have purchased, but returned for one reason or another (usually technical or manufacturing problems). They've been sent back to Apple, and Apple has fixed them, tuned them up, and then resells them at a great discount (and they even include the standard warranty)!

I'm typing this on a refurbished iMac that has worked well for almost a year now (I got it at the end of March 2008).
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-04 17:58, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
This has been quite an education and I appreciate the time everyone has taken.

A fiend just bought a desk top MAC and it was only $1,300. It's like a 20 inch screen also.

I know the laptops would be more. I'm 'guessing' around 2K.

(Paraphrasing from "Help.")

POLICE INSPECTOR: The fiend! He's just purchased a Mac!

RINGO: The fiend!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 02:20, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
I'm headed to the Apple Store this week!

Good plan Christopher!
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Yeah, I forgot to mention the refurb. Good call. That is what mine is. Saved the money that I ended up spending on the protection plan so I essentially got it for free.

You will love I movie, I web, I photo, I tunes. I started with an old LC 575 some 14 years ago. Then strawberry I mac, then powerbook, now I have big beautiful I mac and my wife has her little I book. Next month we are all getting I phones.

Mobile me is pretty rad for backing up contacts and syncing your iphone or other comuters. They also make a, gosh forgot the name, but it wirelessly conects you to the internet and constantly backs up your computer on a hardrive with out you doing anything. That is my next Apple purchase.

You can go to the library and get books if you are old fashioned but the actual computer comes with no manual. Going green. Everything you need is under help. But like I said, I like to have a book to flip through.
Harlequin
View Profile
Special user
Melbourne, Australia
688 Posts

Profile of Harlequin
If you want a laptop that leaves scorch marks on your desk cause of the heat it generates then get a Mac.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Whoa, nobody mentioned heat?!

Do the Mac books get hot?
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Back in 2006, there was a problem with heat in Apple portable computers.

Of course, PC users are so desperate for any Mac fault, they have to cling on to any problems they find in a Mac for as long as they can.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Mine hasn't caused any problems. Yes it gets hot on my lap but that's cause it's working so fast. You can buy cooler pads that are healthy for them and keep you lap cool. That was a problem way back as Scott said.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Macs rule. no virus problems, no pop-ups
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I got an Apple MacBook Pro for XMas, but I still use my Sony. That brand new Apple will be sitting there while I continue to reach for my PC laptop... Sad. Indeed.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'd be more than happy to take that albatross off your hands! Smile
Ain't life unkind?"
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I just happen to be by a Best Buy, so I went in.

The have a BIG Desk Top MAC, so I'm looking for the CPU under the table. LOL. It's all contained in the screen unit and not like the desk top MAC's of the past where it was obvious.

Why don't PC's do that?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
Yeah, Apple is the father of the all in one design. It goes back to the original design and the "gumdrop" iMacs that came in different colors. There are a few PC makers who have done it, Sony and HP I think.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 00:32, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

The have a BIG Desk Top MAC, so I'm looking for the CPU under the table. LOL. It's all contained in the screen unit and not like the desk top MAC's of the past where it was obvious.

Why don't PC's do that?

Give them time. Mac has to point the way before they'll take the initiative. Don't forget it took ten years for PCs to acknowledge the concept of a 'delete' file you could remove things from.
Ain't life unkind?"
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
True Ed. Another silly bit is in Windows, did you ever notice that when you want to turn the machine off, you have to click start? Proof right there of an inferior system.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
There were other self contained units before the gumdrop imac. The LC 575 was all in one. Looked like a small television. Grey and boreing but a monkey could run it. Ever since Steve came back they have been amazing. They really think of every little thing.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 05:20, pepka wrote:
True Ed. Another silly bit is in Windows, did you ever notice that when you want to turn the machine off, you have to click start? Proof right there of an inferior system.

It's worse than that. Bill Gates has had so many problems with bug-filled software that he's given up trying to release software, and now just releases bugs!
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 05:20, pepka wrote:

Not really, convoluted maybe but I got the idea; "Start" the "shutdown process."
Ain't life unkind?"
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 00:32, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:

Why don't PC's do that?

It's called Expandability. Upgrading. Modifying. Things that aren't associated with Apple computers. Like what I have now. I have 3 120GB drives setup in RAID 5. After 3 years, I am running out of space. So I'll be adding another drive to my RAID array. Over the next couple months, completely replacing the 3 120s for 3 new 500GB drives. Or if a capacitor blows on my mobo, or my power supply takes a hit from a power surge, or an optical drive goes south, I can easily replace them. Or if I simply want a better version of what I bought X years ago, a better video card, bigger HDDs, more RAM, add peripheral like a sound card or TV tuner card or wireless card. And with everything crammed behind an LCD, you just can't do that. And good thing called airflow. I want my drives, CPU, and video card to run at nice low temps.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » MAC Laptop or PC LapTop (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL