The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Einstein flunked out of school? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
A college professor actually quoted this old wives tale in my class the other day.
Thoughts?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
basic_mystifier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of basic_mystifier
I have also heard this, but the twist I heard was that they thought he was mentally challenged.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I've heard something about this. There is a short history in one of Hawking's books. I'll have to look it up when I get home later. I remember there being something about him not liking some of his professers. The history is fairly detailed and starts from when Einstein was a boy. I belive its in 'A Brief History of Time'. I'll check it out and report back.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
rickreation
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of rickreation
I doubt it is true, but you never know.
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Heard this, don't believe it though.
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
He was told by his teacher that: "He wouldn't get far in the world", or words to that effect.

Taking into consideration the rigid school system in Germany (and most other places) in those days, it's quite believable.

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I think (not certain without checking) that he was poor at Latin, but gifted at mathematics. But a traditional classical education had Latin as a key component. He did not drop out or fail, but he had a patchy academic record - some brilliant, some less so.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 08:43, critter wrote:
A college professor actually quoted this old wives tale in my class the other day.
Thoughts?

Did he later tell you the facts of the matter?

What folks might not know is that back then admission to university also required demonstrating some facility with a second language. So after a year of studying French he went off to school and things started to move quickly after that.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
No, I had already read them. I thought it was sad. I wish we still had Latin in all of the colleges.

Quote:
On 2009-04-27 21:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-05 08:43, critter wrote:
Thoughts?

Did he later tell you the facts of the matter?
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
This is true and well known, not a myth at all... Einstein wasn't good at school and his teachers never thought he would get far in his studies
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 22:35, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
This is true and well known, not a myth at all...

It is a myth. Einstein did not thrive at everything in school, but he was not stupid and did not perform poorly. He showed a flare for mathematics but little flare for languages. He passed his final exams and got into college without difficulty. It is a pure urban legend that he was poor at school. Hogwash.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
And here I thought it was his fear of relatives...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Dark Knight
View Profile
Loyal user
My troops are stationed at
272 Posts

Profile of Dark Knight
The story is an indictment of the educational system in which he was brought up; not at all the man. Fortunately for science and discovery (and several great patter lines), Einstein overcame the oppression and defects of that system.

DK
magicFreak2
View Profile
Inner circle
1220 Posts

Profile of magicFreak2
Quote:
On 2009-02-10 19:32, basic_mystifier wrote:
I have also heard this, but the twist I heard was that they thought he was mentally challenged.

He was diabetic, but mentally challenged? Give me a break... Who invented the Theory of Relativity, EM=C2, theorized about a multi-dimensional universe, riding on a light wave, quantum mechanics, the genius behind the A-bomb that brought us out of WW2?
PainsWife
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of PainsWife
I know that no one has responded to this thread for a month or so, but...

From what I understand, Einstein very likely had Aspergers. A high-functioning form of autism. I can totally understand that he would struggle in school. We have a 6 yr old (almost 7!) with Aspergers and school is extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY difficult for him.

Despite the fact that staying in the classroom, participating in class, etc. has been pretty much a disaster, he has passed his skills tests so far with flying colors. He scored 2nd highest on 'robust vocabulary' after never being in the room for the instruction and while the rest of his class is reading level C, maybe level D books, our little guy is reading level I books.

There is no doubt in my mind that while Einstein was extremely 'book smart' the problem was in the social cues, sitting still, etc. that people with Asperger's have to learn just like it was a math problem. I don't doubt for a second that he never graduated. There are still definite defects in the school system. Hopefully my own little Einstein doesn't fall through the same crack!

Oh yeah! And back in the day, a lot of children that are considered autistic today, were considered mentally retarded.
Kicking cancer's butt with laughter - the best medicine.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
TonyB2009 is right. The story is utter hogwash. It is nothing more than a story people use to justify their own deficiencies.
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
gphrenol
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gphrenol
It is interesting how opinionated we can be over such things and speak out with no hard facts. I might add that refers to on both sided. Some times though, the truth is almost impossible to find due to historical bending of facts.

I do not directly trust unverified statements from Wikipedia, but..

"Although Einstein had early speech difficulties, he was a top student in elementary school".[10][11]

10 Rosenkranz, Ze’ev (2005). Albert Einstein – Derrière l’image. Neue Zürcher Zeitung. p. 29. ISBN 3-03823-182-7.

11 Sowell, Thomas (2001). The Einstein Syndrome: Bright Children Who Talk Late. Basic Books. pp. 89–150. ISBN 0-465-08140-1.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I'm sorry, but the posting about Aspergers is pure hogwash. There is no evidence that Einstein had any social difficulties beyond the normal. He could be absent minded and eccentric, but so can many people. He married twice, he got on well with colleagues and students, and he functioned normally in society.
MrHoudini666
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of MrHoudini666
Didn't Einstein get into one of the top universities at an early age?
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think people may be confusing the urban legend about Einstein with the factual story of Thomas Edison. Edison's mother pulled him out of school after only three months of public school because his teacher had a low opinion of his ability. Mrs. Edison taught young Tom at home. So he didn't really flunk out. He opted out.

Edison said:
"Our schools are not teaching students to think. It is astonishing how many young people have difficulty in putting their brains definitely and systematically to work."

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Friend of a Friend » » Einstein flunked out of school? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL