The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
WordSmith: As I tossed the book after reading it a couple of times (to make certain my first impression wasn't a false one), I don't feel that I can fairly make a public "review" of THE ALCHEMICAL TOOLS. I wouldn't be able to accurately quote the bits that were most disappointing to me.

However, if you would like to read my impressions privately, by PM, I'd be willing to share them with you.

- entity
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
I do like Paul's work and I am biased but I have some points I would like to mention.

Having read all of his offerings I can say that Paul normally has his tongue in cheek instead of the manipulative nature that you seem to have taken it in. For example, when he mentions the penhouse suite in france Paul mentions that it is on a road rue deseil (sorry for spelling) this is an in joke for fans of HP Lovecraft as this is the setting for The Music of Erich Zann. Paul also thanks Zann for some violin music.

I don't recall Paul writing that this information is all originally his in any way. I took the information to be Pauls experience when applying psychology to mentalism.

From what I remember Paul does not advocate that mediums should be allowed to practice if they have a therapy background. Mentioning that those trained in therapy would not possibly abuse their powers in such a way. This I took to simply be a thought provoking essay.

As for the simplicity of the effects I believe that they were included in that manner as to get the mentalist to add their own substance to it. I think it was on Paul's forum that he mentions he wanted people to flesh out the bones. I take it that you do not own Paul's other works, if you did you would realise that it is not basic as included in the Alchemical Tools.

May be wrong but I though Paul did credit Paul Curry in the appendix?

These are my thoughts, and I feel that you may have taken the book in the wrong light that it was meant to be read in. Not wanting to belittle your viewpoint at all, just trying to see why others love it and you seem not to.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 11:33, MindSeeker wrote:
For example, when he mentions the penhouse suite in france Paul mentions that it is on a road rue deseil (sorry for spelling) this is an in joke for fans of HP Lovecraft as this is the setting for The Music of Erich Zann. Paul also thanks Zann for some violin music.

Cthulhu is here,
He's there
He's EVERYWHERE
So Beware!!!

Yep, I liked the in-jokes too...

Ia!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18685 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I believe Jeff McBride loved the book - so maybe we can chalk at least one full-time working pro as finding it of some worth...

I do think we should show good and bad in reviews though...

and I'm sure Paul's not too bothered...he seems to be doing very well for himself professionally...

as for bad grammar - up with this I will not put!
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 11:33, MindSeeker wrote:
I do like Paul's work and I am biased but I have some points I would like to mention.

Having read all of his offerings I can say that Paul normally has his tongue in cheek instead of the manipulative nature that you seem to have taken it in. For example, when he mentions the penhouse suite in france Paul mentions that it is on a road rue deseil (sorry for spelling) this is an in joke for fans of HP Lovecraft as this is the setting for The Music of Erich Zann. Paul also thanks Zann for some violin music.

I don't recall Paul writing that this information is all originally his in any way. I took the information to be Pauls experience when applying psychology to mentalism.

From what I remember Paul does not advocate that mediums should be allowed to practice if they have a therapy background. Mentioning that those trained in therapy would not possibly abuse their powers in such a way. This I took to simply be a thought provoking essay.

As for the simplicity of the effects I believe that they were included in that manner as to get the mentalist to add their own substance to it. I think it was on Paul's forum that he mentions he wanted people to flesh out the bones. I take it that you do not own Paul's other works, if you did you would realise that it is not basic as included in the Alchemical Tools.

May be wrong but I though Paul did credit Paul Curry in the appendix?

These are my thoughts, and I feel that you may have taken the book in the wrong light that it was meant to be read in. Not wanting to belittle your viewpoint at all, just trying to see why others love it and you seem not to.

Just so that I do not seem like a loony tune this was in response to a post that has been deleted.
phillsmiff
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1654 Posts

Profile of phillsmiff
Alchemical tools is nice, it cover's Paul's thoughts on presenting the art. I personally really enjoyed On Mephisto's Shoulder because it's got a few of his really out-there ideas and effects in it. That is one of the things I like about Paul, he has some great ideas that are quite "out of the box". If you want some unique effects, Mephisto is good, if a little short, if you want to build up the effects you already do, Alchemical Tools.

Someone mentioned the forthcoming Chrysalis of a Polymath: I had a chat with PB last week and he mentioned he was hard at work on the new book, I got the impression there was a lot in there, and a lot still to do. I'm looking forward to it, but I know Paul's got a lot on his plate so I've no idea when it will be completed.

Phill
-+: https://www.mythologycodex.com :+-

A collection of incredible jaw-dropping mentalism, now available.
Machina
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of Machina
The Alchemical Tools is by far my favorite. Although everything he has written is well thought out, complete with strong psychological techniques and subtleties.
The Alchemical tools will help you see many aspects of performance/psychology/congruency etc. etc. I have had this book for ages and re read it all the time when scripting my effects to bring out the strongest reactions I can for any effect.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of mayniac
What are everybody's thoughts on the Brook Test?
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I like the Brook test a lot. It's a practical way to not have to use the first word on a page and it provides a multitude of methods to divine different types of words on a page. I've incorporated some of the principals in my work, and that's all I could ask for.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
I hear that Paul Brook got accident last year, how is his condition right now?
because I'm planning to order his books, is it affected to the delivery time of my order?
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
I ordered 'Locked in Thought' only a few weeks ago, the item was delivered very quickly, as fast as I've received orders from most shops I've used.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Thank's muse for the info...
hope Mr. Paul Brook is find and healthy right now...
I'll order his book soon...
thank's again...
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I recently purchased The Alchemical Tools. I was very impressed by the quality of the content. A real gold mine for the working pro. I've really had to sit back and reassess my act. Having read this book I have the potential to make some very positive changes.

Paul appears to be doing well. My order was shipped very promptly.

Derek
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Thanks Derek, for the info ...
ailuromaniac
View Profile
New user
UK
2 Posts

Profile of ailuromaniac
I recently bought The Gift and was so blown away by it that I promptly ordered all of the rest. Awesome. I like the easy style; and the insights are very inspiring.
I didn't buy Locked in Thought, but that appears to be an oversight judging by the posts.
He just needs to shoot his proof-reader. But, being a pedant, I would say that Smile
I will definitely be buying Chrysalis, and he probably knows that already.........

On the non-book side, the Thought Reader card is excellent. I blew away a super-cycnical and highly analytical colleague with it.
Yup he called me one of those rude words too.
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
On the basis of 'Alchemical Tools', ditto regarding the proof reading needing to be improved, mainly because the standard of pretty much all of the rest of it is so high. It is still a highly enjoyable read, even for the pedants amongst us (by which I mean me).
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2282 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I could not agree more. The Alchemical Tools is a superb read and has the potential to become a classic - but it is marred by all the errors. It should have been very carefully proof read before it was sent off to the printers.
taoist
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of taoist
Locked in Thought is a good one. But I've found that the audience's selection of a combo and resetting the lock to their personal choice is sometimes problematic. They've got to be really attentive to the reset process. Even demonstrating the reset process prior to handing it out to reduce problems sometimes still isn't enough.
Machina
View Profile
Veteran user
399 Posts

Profile of Machina
Rumour has it the 2nd edition has been proof read again. Hopefully the Tools will be rock solid. Brace yourselves for COAPM.
This "has nothing to do with the Magician who doesn't like Rock n Roll!" Corinda

www.mechanicsofthemind.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Paul Brook (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL