The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape from Roller Coaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
2/6: Abbey somebody just got national coverage for his escape from a roller coaster in Florida.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
I found a news link: http://cbs4.com/local/Avi.Frier.Magic.2.927586.html

Avi Frier Was Blindfolded, Shackled & Wearing A Straightjacket On Dania Beach Hurricane Roller Coaster
He Had Less Than 2 Minutes To Escape
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg

www.anthonyrmiller.com
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
And his website: http://www.avimagic.com

Ok, it was very entertaining and more than I would be willing to take on. Of course there is a lot of stuff out there that is more than I am willing to take on. But, can we really call this an escape?
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg

www.anthonyrmiller.com
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
__

www.anthonyrmiller.com
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5115 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I didn't see anything death-defying, but it was a nice piece! Good for him!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
748 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Oh, I liked that!
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
It was very entertaining. I liked the effect.

I don't mean to insult the guy. It was darn impressive. I just don't know that we can really call it an escape.
__

www.anthonyrmiller.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Sorry, IMpressed? I thought it lacked thrill. However, it did bring in the press which is GREAT, but even the newscaster blurbed out the secret.....

I don't like escapes that involve MAGIC so to speak...
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
748 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
How about if the performer never re-appeared afterwards?.

Just having the EMPTY coaster car pull into the station is creepy & startling enough.

Might there be more media buzz if he didn't reappear? I bet it would create more media buzz about where is he? did he fall off? how did he disappear?, where the $#% is he!???

But perhaps the reappearance of the performer was NEEDED to take the 'heat' off of the coaster cars, and why a hood was required..if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I liked it.
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
There had to be a reappearance. Without it the thought would be "He made it out of the jacket but at some point fell."

He may have been alive and well on the morning news show the next day but the urban legend of the magician the fell to his death would live on. After all, Houdini died in the water torture cell. See what I mean?

Great illusion though.
__

www.anthonyrmiller.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Urban legend would have been kicked butt!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
So would the law.
Pulling off a 'did he die' hoax would have resulted in an SAR effort around the coaster. If he showed up later, alive and well, with evidence of a hoax, he would have faced charges for spurring an unnecessary SAR effort.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Steve,
Unless you plan it. Get actors to act as law enforcement. Have the amusement park play along with this.
IF someone does call 911. The fault would not fall on you. Since it is a productions/show.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
In which case, it's not a total hoax; just a mild 'sting' on the audience at large.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
CARNEGIE
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of CARNEGIE
In my opinion what he did was an Illusion, not an escape. And as Harley pointed out, not death defying either. I always wonder why magicians want to take escapes and turn them into a vanish/reappearance instead of doing the actual escape. It's something that I write about in The Escape Biz Volume 2. In fact, I see nothing wrong with saying "I'm going to do an incredible Illusion in a Roller Coaster" and put all the emphasis on the 'illusion. For example, "I'm going to attempt to VANISH from a Moving Roller Coaster. To make it more difficult, I'm going to be chained inside the car." The emphasis is on dissappearing, the effect is clearly defined.

In regards to Roller Coaster Escapes here is a little history.
Steve Baker presented the first Roller Coaster Escape chained to the tracks on TV in the 1970s.
Dan Stapleton did a Roller Coaster escape from the tracks in the 80s.
David Deval did a Roller Coaster escape by being handcuffed inside one of the cars of the coaster. A few years ago David Straightjacket recreated that escape.
Lance Burton did a Roller Coaster Escape in the 1990s.
Recently, Dean Gunnerson did a cool Roller Coaster Escape chained to the tracks in China.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Someone just sent me a link to this discussion, and I was a little flattered that I attracted the attention of my colleagues---All I was really after was the local media! Smile

As for the question of "escape" vs. "illusion" I myself referred to it as an illusion in the interview. Initially, I contacted the press using language I thought they'd understand without revealing everything I was planning to do. I told them it would be an escape attempt with a death-defying surprise twist. The surprise twist was, of course, that the car came back completely empty (as opposed to just having me there out of the restraints); as for the death-defying part, well, I figured that any exit from a moving roller coaster could pretty much be classified as death-defying.

I've been thrilled at the public response I've gotten so far, but I was really unhappy that the news anchors chose to banter about the secret, especially in light of a memo that each media person at the event was handed. There was a section on exposure that read:

Quote:
A NOTE ON “EXPOSURE”

In recent years, some television stations have delighted in exposing the secrets of magic to their viewing audience. In fact, when Criss Angel attempted an escape from an imploding building in Clearwater a few months back, one of the local news stations picked apart the trick and broadcast their theory on how it was done during the next morning’s news report. They punctuated this report with the justification, “our viewers have the right to know.”

We agree. The viewers DO have the right to know. It’s called Freedom of the Press and it’s a right we hold dear. The question is, do your viewers WANT to know?

When you expose a secret of magic, you rob the audience of any enjoyment they gained from the performance. This is the exact reason why your station’s movie reviewers don’t spoil the endings of the movies they review. The audience may have the right to know that the butler did it, but the fact is they’d rather be entertained than have you spoil it for them.

We’re pretty confident that you’ll walk away from this wondering how he did it. Not knowing. Wondering. Some of you may even have some theories. But if you do, we hope that you’ll consider what we’ve expressed above, and keep those theories to yourselves.

Of course, any inadvertently exposed secrets behind the inner workings of tonight’s performance are 100% “off the record.”

I didn't really expect them to pay attention to the 'off the record' part, but I hoped that my movie review analogy would appeal to their sense of ethics.

Anyway, thanks again for having this discussion. I will have a video of the full performance available soon and will make it available to any magicians who would like a copy.
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
One more thing: regarding the possibility of having the car come back empty without a reappearance...

The roller coaster agreed to the stunt because they saw the potential of getting some decent P.R. for themselves. I think such an ending would have had the opposite effect.

Great idea, though!
Tony Miller
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Hi there Avi!

It was an impressive video to see.

"I myself referred to it as an illusion in the interview."

I noticed that. There's no stopping the media though.
__

www.anthonyrmiller.com
avimagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood, Florida
235 Posts

Profile of avimagic
Thanks! It's true, the media will always report things the way they see them, even when they're wrong.
basic_mystifier
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of basic_mystifier
Good Video.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Escape from Roller Coaster (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL