The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
During the World Magic Seminar, I discovered a wonderful book relating to mathematical principles. It's called "Card Concepts: An Anthology of Numerica......d Magic". (Click link, then scroll down)

It discusses various mathematical principles, and gives one or more effects with each principle. Some of these I had never heard of before, and some that I knew, I found new uses for!

Here's the chapter listing of the book:

21 Force Et Seq
Parity Principle
Numerical Block Grouping Exploitation
Key Number Locations
AAG Principle
Kruskal Principle
Kraus Principle
High Card Distribution Principle (This is correct name for this is Bob Farmer's "Pentacle Force")
(X+Y)+(X-Y)=2X
Sands' Prime Number Principle
Triple Number Identification
Matrixing
C.S. Pierce's First
C.S. Pierce's Second
Full Deck Red/Black Relationship
Penelope's Principle
Cyclical Positional Tracking
X+1=Position
Cancellation Combination (Simon Aronson's "Shuffleboard" Principle)
CATO Principle
Finnell's Free Cut Principle
John Hamilton's Inverse Replacement Principle
Principle of 9
Multiples of 9
Principle of 10
Principle of 11
Gilbreath's First
Quasi Gilbreath Principle
Miraskill Principle
Gilbreath's Second
Rusduck StayStack Principle
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Scott,

funny you mention it, I heard about this book lately and bought it second hand - still waiting for it to arrive.
I had no idea it is still available new...
shame...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Sounds fascinating! Does anyone know of a US source for this? I couldn't find one on Google, but I did run across the following essay on the Prime number principle, which was very interesting:

http://www.conjuring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/robertson1.htm

Jack Shalom
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
The Chain Calculator for the perfect faro shuffle is my favourite math thing. Very powerful.
I learnt the Chain Calculator from Edward Marlos: Faro Notes.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-01-18 00:03, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-05-23 22:14, joseph wrote:
On a simpler note, Overkill by Paul Harris is pretty cool, & Paul Gertner's Unshuffled. Both rely on nice principles. Smile

Joseph,

I must regretfully forget "Unshuffled" and just watch admiringly as others perform the necessary faro shuffles to accomplish the same.

As for Paul Harris's "Overkill", I seem to recall this effect but can't remember where I read about it. Is it in one of his early books? Please don't say "AofA". <G>

Thanks for the info.

Mike

I found some sources of Paul Harris' "Overkill":

1. His 1980 book "Close-up Fantasies, Book 1", and,
2. Paul Harris' Stars of Magic Video #1 (performance only), and,
3. Paul Harris' Stars of Magic Video #3

AH! YES!!! I remember this effect. Super easy and a real pants wetter. Don't leave home without it!!

Thanks for jarring my memory on this classic, Joseph.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
On 2004-01-18 00:03, Turk wrote:
[quote]I found some sources of Paul Harris' "Overkill":

1. His 1980 book "Close-up Fantasies, Book 1", and,
2. Paul Harris' Stars of Magic Video #1 (performance only), and,
3. Paul Harris' Stars of Magic Video #3

AH! YES!!! I remember this effect. Super easy and a real pants wetter. Don't leave home without it!!

Thanks for jarring my memory on this classic, Joseph.

Mike

Turk....
I first saw this on my Frank Garcia tape #1 from A1. He performs the trick at the end and says if you want to learn it, you would have to buy the Harris tape. I did, and that's where I learned it. What a triple whammy climax!
Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-01-18 14:31, landmark wrote:
Sounds fascinating! Does anyone know of a US source for this? I couldn't find one on Google, but I did run across the following essay on the Prime number principle, which was very interesting:

http://www.conjuring.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/robertson1.htm

Jack Shalom

Jack,

Assuming by "this" you mean "Card Concepts: An Anthology of Numerical & Sequential Principles within Card Magic", I checked with Davenports and was advised that it is one of their exclusive publications and they do not intend to sell it via a US magic dealer. You can only buy it direct from them.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
bobmcmathman
View Profile
New user
Arizona
43 Posts

Profile of bobmcmathman
Thanks for the info. I had read about this book in some other thread on this forum, and have been unable to find it. Now I just ordered it from Britain. I wonder how much 35.77 Pounds is in dollars? I think it may be a lot, but hopefully worth it.

Bob

UPDATE: Feb 28 2004

If anybody is interested, I received the book by MacTier in less than a week after ordering it from England over the Internet. It is truly a remarkable find. All mathematical card effects, a veritable encyclopedia of effects… very well explained with example effects for each math principle. Not for the faint of heart, though. This is NOT a Martin Gardner book. The explanations are detailed and comprehensive (Not to put down Gardner- he is one of my favorite authors- but his books are written for the lay public, Barnes & Noble or Borders crowd). I recommend this book highly!!!
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
You can get the MacTier book from H&R Magic books for $40.00; I did a few weeks ago.
Mindbender
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Mindbender
H&R still has copies of the elusive 'Card Concepts' available. Better get your copy while they still have them.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1238 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2003-07-02 03:25, Scott Cram wrote:
Here's yet another cool mathemagical principle!

Check out Lewis Jones' "The Pattern Principle" in Steve Beam's "Semi-Automatic Card Tricks, Vol. 3". The principle itself isn't a math principle, however, it would be next to impossible for it to work if the mathematics of it weren't worked out properly.

Basically, it minimizes the work required to remember the order of the colors in the deck.

One read through the principle, and the included effects, "Red Alert 1, 2, 3 & 4," and I was well, like this: Smile

There's some great & unexplored potential in the "Pattern Principle".

Scott,
Check out "Card Fictions" by Pit Hartling. The effect is called "Colour Sense" on page 36. This uses the Lewis Priciple to great hieghts.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Alewishus
View Profile
Inner circle
parts unknown
1227 Posts

Profile of Alewishus
Is 'the pattern principle' any different than binary ordering the cards? I can do this with groups of six cards and then assign them a peg image/word, so 24 cards is pretty well in my range right now, then I do some peeks or rote memorize about three cards color and suit after the binary slug.
Just curious. Thanks.
Sack subs, ok Ross?
We miss you asper.
GALIER
View Profile
New user
Spain
37 Posts

Profile of GALIER
Hello everybody,

I've learned so much with the comments posted in this topic. Anybody knows the so-called "The best card trick"?
If you like mathematical principles, please consider the Fitch Cheney's trick. In brief:
While the magician is out of the room, one spectator selects five cards. The assistant puts one of them face down and let the other four face up in a row on the table. Then the magician enters to the room, and looking at the cards of the table, is able to divine the fifth card.
This trick can be made using a computer as the magician and yourself as the assistant. I've the program (in spanish) if anybody likes it and knows the method.

Best regards,
Pedro
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Brain (no, that's not a misspelling) Epstein wrote a fascinating article on exactly the type of effect that Galier is talking about in Puzzlers' Tribute: A Feast for the Mind.

The article is entitled, "All You Need is Cards." It's an interesting look into coding cards, with each effect discussed getting progressively more difficult to understand.
NIH
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of NIH
Quote:
On 2004-05-25 05:56, GALIER wrote:

<snip>

Anybody knows the so-called "The best card trick"?
If you like mathematical principles, please consider the Fitch Cheney's trick. In brief:
While the magician is out of the room, one spectator selects five cards. The assistant puts one of them face down and let the other four face up in a row on the table. Then the magician enters to the room, and looking at the cards of the table, is able to divine the fifth card.

<snip>

Best regards,
Pedro

Pedro,

This is also one of my favorite math-based tricks.

Even more impressive is that the trick can actually be performed with up to 124 cards. So it could be done with two distinguishable packs of cards, say one red pack and one blue pack. Or with the days of January, March, May, and July.

Nick
Gerard BAKNER
View Profile
New user
Chartres (France)
13 Posts

Profile of Gerard BAKNER
NUMEROLOGIE I

J’ai découvert cette intéressante curiosité mathématique dans un très vieil ouvrage de magie. En la remaniant et surtout en la modernisant, j’en ai fait la routine que voici :

LE PRINCIPE :

Tapez trois fois sur une des touches 1 à 9 d’une calculatrice.
Tapez le signe : / (division).
Faites additionner mentalement les trois chiffres tapés précédemment.
Entrez le résultat obtenu sur la calculatrice.
Tapez le signe : =.
Le résultat sera toujours : « 37 ».

LE JEU DE CARTES :

Preparez votre jeu de la façon suivante : sur le dessus (dos visibles) un « 3 », en vingt-sixième position un « 7 », en vingt-septième position un « 3 » et sous le jeu un « 7 ».

PRESENTATION :

Empruntez si vous le pouvez une calculatrice mais n’y touchez pas. Faites effectuer les différentes opérations par un premier spectateur (celui à qui appartient la calculatrice).

Pendant ce temps, coupez le jeu de cartes à vingt-six et posez les deux moitiés devant un deuxième spectateur. Demandez-lui de les mélanger en queue d’aronde. Ne touchez plus le jeu.

Quand le premier spectateur a terminé les différentes opérations, prenez le jeu en main droite et lancez-le en main gauche tout en retenant la carte du dessus et la carte du dessous du jeu.

Ces deux cartes seront obligatoirement un « 3 » et un « 7 ». Faites annoncer le chiffre obtenu et retournez vos deux cartes en les posant sur la table : « 37 ».

Dites que les nombres ne mentent jamais…
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Here is Gerard's post, as translated into English by babelfish:

NUMEROLOGY 1:
I discovered this interesting mathematical curiosity in a very old work of magic. By altering it and especially by modernizing it, I made the routine of it that here:

THE PRINCIPLE:
Type three times on one of keys 1 to 9 of a computer.
Type the sign: / (division).
Make add the three figures typed mentally previously.
Enter the result obtained on the computer.
Type the sign: =.
the result will be always: "37".

CARD DECK: Prepare your deck in the following way: on the top (visible backs) one "3", in twenty-sixth position one "7", in twenty-seventh position one "3" and under the play one "7".

PRESENTATION:
Borrow if you can it a computer but do not touch there. Make carry out the various operations by a first spectator (that to which belongs the computer).

During this time, cut the card deck to vingt-six and pose the two halves in front of a second spectator. Ask him to mix them dovetail.

Do not touch any more the play. When the first spectator finished the various operations, take the play in right hand and launch it in left hand while retaining the chart of the top and the chart of the lower part of the play.

These two charts will be obligatorily one "3" and one "7". Make announce the figure obtained and turn over your two charts by posing them on the table: "37".

Known as that the numbers never lie...
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Interesting idea of having duplicate numbers on the bottom and top of the deck and then giving a riffle shuffle. Sort of Gilbreathean. Anywhere else we can go with this principle?

Jack Shalom
Gerard BAKNER
View Profile
New user
Chartres (France)
13 Posts

Profile of Gerard BAKNER
This principle is mine. I have many others ideas about this principle. If you are interesting can you translate for me ?
Numerologie 1 is just a little thing about this principle. This principle is very interseting about tarot card or rune card and calendar.
This principle is not the Gilbreath but is near the principle palindrome with just few cards.
Are you interesting ?
Excuse-me for my american language.

The principle with 3 or 4 cards :

Put on the first half of the deck : A, K, Q and J (the ace is the top card).
Put on the second half of the deck : J, Q, K and Ace (the Jack is the top card).
Riffle suffle the two halves.
The four firsts cards will be : A, K, Q and J (but you don’t know the order). This is the principle.
You can do the same thing on the bottom of the two halves.

Plus :

Prepare your deck :
ABCDEFABCDEFABCDEFABCDEFABCDEFABCDEFABCDEFABCDEF (48 cards)
Now give the deck to a spectator and ask him to give one card on the table and a second card on the first one and a third card on the second one......
After he put 6 cards (or more) on the table, you can ask him to riffle shuffle the 2 halves.
After this shuffle (done by the spectator !) you are sure that the 6 firsts cards are ABCDEF (but you don’t know the order) and you are sure that the 6 others cards are also ABCDEF, and the 6 others cards and the 6 others..............

If you are interesting by this principle, I can give you some examples with a tarot deck.
I think is a new principle in card magic.

Gerard
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Gerard,

This is the gilbreath principle, just with more than 2 cards. It is at least from the 50s.

Nir
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical equations » » Your Favorite Math Principle/Trick (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL