We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Question about performing on tv (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
403 Posts

Profile of durgy
Just curious. A few questions about performing on television and what rights do you have to perform certain material.

1. Does it matter wheter you're making money off of your appearance or not?
2. Do you need permission from the inventor?
3. Suppose I want to perform invisible deck on tv, do I have to get permission from whoever invented the invisible deck? What if no inventor can be found? What if inventor isn't alive anymore?
4a. Surprisingly I noticed on the bottom of the sheet of paper that came with 'loops' it states, "television rights for using Loops are withheld and may be obtained only through written permission from Yigal Mesika". Does that mean the routines he has included cannot be performed without his permission or loops cannot be used all together without his permission?
4b. What if I were to purchase loops from some other person or company that sells a similar product?
5. When someone like David Blaine puts out a tv special, did he have to get permission from every inventor who's tricks he used? ie. Balducci lev, invis deck, 2 card monte, cig through quarter etc etc.

thanks.
http://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Doruk Ülgen
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Doruk Ülgen
1-no it doesn't matter,but if you are making money there are of course tax issues,etc....

2-If you bought it from the inventor ,you probably bought the rights too,but if you made it yourself (or in any other way which you didn't pay inventor ) you need permission,inventors sometimes choose to sell only live performance right but not tv rights.. so it depends on which material you are thinking to do...

3-Same question as above...

4atelevision rights for using Loops are withheld and may be obtained only through written permission from Yigal Mesika"

5-if needed,yes... Doesn't matter David,Doruk,Dan or Danny...everyone is equal...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Lights...camera...action! » » Question about performing on tv (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL