The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 'King' of the streets has died... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Joe Ades…The Peeler Guy has died.

The KING is dead.

The peeler guy has died and the city will never be the same…

It’s a sad day for ALL street buskers every where…

Joe Ades wore hand made, $1000. suits and worked the streets selling Potato Peelers. He sold the peelers for $5. each and made a FORTUNE working the streets. He lived on Park Ave. in a real nice apartment!

He usually worked Union Square but every now and again he would pop up in other parts of the city. I got to meet him a few times and watch him work…he was THE KING! No other street performer would come a fraction close to pulling in what Joe did.

I told him he was amazing and that I had never seen anyone like him ever. He told me he was a “grafter”. He had an English accent, so I thought he said “grifter” No, “I’m just a grafter from Manchester.”

People threw money at him. He could easily pull $1000. a day without breaking a sweat.

I already miss the guy.

May he and the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cf......=5517907

:cheers:
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 15:31, Justin Style wrote:
I told him he was amazing and that I had never seen anyone like him ever. He told me he was a “grafter”. He had an English accent, so I thought he said “grifter” No, “I’m just a grafter from Manchester.”

A grafter is what Americans would call a "pitchman". Totally different from a grifter. Wasn't there always a bit of a question as to whether it was the peelers or his wife that afforded him the lavish lifestyle? (Not that he wasn't selling a lot of peelers. But maybe not quite THAT many.).
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
This is another good article on the guy:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/featur......er200605

It seems fairly well documented that he was selling tons of peelers for many years. Along with other things over the years. He also had several wives. He certainly lived life large.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I'm telling you from my own two eyes. I don't know about his wife, but this dude would crack off about 50 - 100 in just a short time.

There's a thing called "Jam auction" where you get the crowd worked into a frenzy, and then sell them.

Joe had a CONSTANT frenzy around him at ALL times.

$1000. a day? I have no doubt he could make 2,000 - 3,000 if he wanted.

There will never be another Joe Ades...never.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
The Vanity Fair story mentions that his 4th wife was a lady of independent means, and it seems the Park Avenue apartment was hers to begin with.

But he still sold tons of peelers. Smile
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 15:49, Justin Style wrote:
There's a thing called "Jam auction" where you get the crowd worked into a frenzy, and then sell them.

You should get Don Drivers DVD if you want to see a real Jam Auction.

I know he sold tons and tons of those things. I also know guys who could sell circles around Ades. lol! But he was something of an institution. RIP Mr Ades.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Any vids of him in action?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Yes I think so, on Youtube. Sorry I don't have the links but you should be able to find it pretty easily.
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Great vid! Master of his craft! The King!

Would have loved to see what he would have done with a Svengali deck!
trey
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of trey
I wonder where he bought his peelers from?

Trey
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ron Popeel?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Pitch-men like that are loooong gone from the modern American landscape... And that's our loss.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
He married into his money, but still made a nice chunk.

I never got to meet him. I wonder what his wife is gonna do with all those left over peelers?

B.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks. Enjoyed it. His charm sold the goods.

These guys use an awful lot of produce during the day.

Bobby Reynold's Pen Pitch was still the best I've ever seen and you didn't need the groceries.

The true master legend, David Walker (in his 80's) has gone from pitch items to one of my Zibits and 'sells' it with a non stop spiel as well...amazing to listen to.

But when you really listen to these master pitchmen...there isn't anything MOST of the performers here in this thread couldn't duplicate...the secret is to make it sound FRESH everytime...(and finding cheap vegitables? Smile )
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
A grafter is what Americans would call a "pitchman". Totally different from a grifter. Wasn't there always a bit of a question as to whether it was the peelers or his wife that afforded him the lavish lifestyle? (Not that he wasn't selling a lot of peelers. But maybe not quite THAT many.).

Just in case anybody is interested a grafter,in England,means a hard worker.
Cheers,Ray
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Amazing, and fun to watch! Thanks for the link.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Mick Ayres
View Profile
Special user
Hilton Head Island
998 Posts

Profile of Mick Ayres
Jam-auctions are very much a dying art-form. In a very real sense, the pitchman is 'charm-dancing' with the crowd's nature and assumptions. Done well, the attendees will part with their money happily and never look back.

Many years ago, I worked jam-auctions with Ed Hagins and his pal Bill Scalfe who are masters at building these rare sorts of pitches. As far as I know they are still at it...two of only a handful in the United States, I believe.

Observing Ed and Bill flex their knowledge of crowd-psychology is nothing short of amazing...and educational. I'm not the least bit surprised if Joe Ades was living well.

Warm regards,
Mick Ayres
THE FIVE OBLIGATIONS OF CONJURING: Study. Practice. Script. Rehearse. Perform. Drop one and you're done.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I don't know if you were counting...but he pulled $70. in 5 minutes work!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The 'King' of the streets has died... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL