The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Best projector for stage show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Can anyone give me some names and models that are good for stage. Wanted a rear projector and screen. Thanks.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
798 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
I'm no video expert, sly2272, but I do know there are a couple of things to consider. What size will your image/screen be? How far will the projector be from the screen?
Dan McLean Jr
www.MagicRoadie.com
"Taking the mystery out of stage technology!"
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
This is the best in my opinion:

http://www.red.com/nab/redray/

Though its a bit expensive, isn't available for sale yet, and is overkill for your needs probably. *grin*

Asking whats the best projector might be like asking what's the best mic or what's the best car.

They all have various advantages. Do you need high dynamic range, high resolution, high luminosity, portability, compatibility with legacy players? And Dan raised the right questions, too.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I've been wondering the same thing... I'm guessing my needs might be a little different from the OP, but here goes...

1.) I need something with a reletively short throw distance as it would be used in the occasional cramped area.

2.) It needs to look good under normal lighting. If I turn out the lights for folks to see the projector they won't be able to see my act!

3.) It needs to be portable and durable enough to handle being traveled with.

4.) I'd like to have it project in 16:9 if at all possible.

5.) 40" - 60" size should suit my needs.

6.) If I can get something with a decent resoloution that accepts digital inputs (preferably HDMI), that would be nice.

I suspect I'm looking for something that either doesn't exist or costs big bucks, but I thought I'd post it here since it looks like others are investigating projectors as well ;-)
-- Matthew R. Jones --

-- Website --

FREE Remote Cueing System for Mac! - Download Here
sly2272
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of sly2272
Was looking at the BenQ 820, for a 150" rear screen, any help. Would it be sufficient.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
715 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
I bring up that all important question: How far is the screen from the projector? How bright is the ambient lighting in the viewing room? How large an audience and how far will the first row and last row be from the screen? All this info makes a diference in whether or not this system will work for you.

Matthew,
The BenQ has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

"Normal lighting..." That's subjective. Will the screen be on a brightly lit stage, a dark theater, or a church hall with so-so lighting? The higher the lumen count, the brighter the picture. Home theater can get way with 1200 lumens. Even 2500 lumens might be too dim, depending on "normal lighting."

The closer to the screen, the brighter the picture. Rear screen looses some brightness, but the noise of the projector fan is away from the audience.

Durable? knock around any projector when the lamp is hot and the filament is likely to break. Even cold, I wouldn't toss the equipment around. A good ATA case with quality padding will pay for itself the first time you have to replace the bulb due to an accidental thump.

It would be so much easier to have someone say, "You need the Kawasuki 9000 DLP." But like Scott says, it all depends on your needs and budget.

Then there's the issue of using a video camera so you can show off close-up work. A good camera with the right lighting makes a huge difference. Even a cheap camera with the right lighting can look pretty good.

And you thought learning magic was a challenge... Technology is constantly changing.

If you live near a large city, check with an AV equipment supply house. Sometimes they offer rental equipment at a good price and even provide a warranty. The sales rep might offer to demonstrate a couple of different units for you on location.

Please understand, you might not get the lowest price, but you will get advice and support.

Good luck!
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
devlinn
View Profile
Regular user
Orangeville, ON
118 Posts

Profile of devlinn
All caveats implied (everyone's needs are different etc...)but NEC makes some remarkable equipment.
I was at a trade show recently and saw their WT610E in operation.
Very bright in a very bright lit room.
The amazing thing was how close the unit was to the screen.
It sat about 2' away from the screen and threw a huge bright image...
Not cheap, but definitely a consideration if you want to keep an eye on your stuff while performing.
Here is their sales blurb.

Able to project 100" diagonal images from a mere 26" away from the screen, the WT610 maximizes precious space in commercial environments with ultimate versatility. In tight spaces the WT610's wireless networking capabilities give you all of the flexibility without cables. Enhanced color depth and a 3500:1 contrast ratio allow display graphics to deliver their message with power and beauty.

* 2000 lumens
* XGA 1024x768 native resolution
* Extreme short throw
* Networking capable
* Ceiling mountable

http://www.necdisplay.com/Products/Produ......a1258617
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Thanks so much for responding! I really appreciate your help!

Quote:
On 2009-02-11 18:26, David Bilan wrote:
Matthew,
The BenQ has a 4:3 aspect ratio.

That's not a total deal breaker. I'd prefer 16:9, but I'll take a nice square picture over a faded rectangle one any day.

Quote:
"Normal lighting..." That's subjective. Will the screen be on a brightly lit stage, a dark theater, or a church hall with so-so lighting? The higher the lumen count, the brighter the picture. Home theater can get way with 1200 lumens. Even 2500 lumens might be too dim, depending on "normal lighting."

The closer to the screen, the brighter the picture. Rear screen looses some brightness, but the noise of the projector fan is away from the audience.

Point taken. The lighting would be very similar to what you'd find in a conference room with flourecent bulbs. If it throws a nice picture in a conference room with all the lights on, it will probably suit my needs.

I'd prefer rear projection just to keep my performance area clean, but realize it might not be practical.

Quote:
Durable? knock around any projector when the lamp is hot and the filament is likely to break. Even cold, I wouldn't toss the equipment around. A good ATA case with quality padding will pay for itself the first time you have to replace the bulb due to an accidental thump.

Interesting... So the weak point is the filament. I need to be more concerned with how I transport the projector then (ATA Case) as opposed to the actual construction of the projector.

Quote:
It would be so much easier to have someone say, "You need the Kawasuki 9000 DLP." But like Scott says, it all depends on your needs and budget.

There's rarely a perfect answer for these kinds of questions. I just appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge. I've learned a lot already even though I don't have a specific model zeroed in yet.

Quote:
Then there's the issue of using a video camera so you can show off close-up work. A good camera with the right lighting makes a huge difference. Even a cheap camera with the right lighting can look pretty good.

A camera isn't an issue. I know a lot of people dig seeing close-up done on stage (Shawn Farquhar does it). It's definitely not my taste. Most of my stuff would be pre-recorded video and motion graphics.

Quote:
And you thought learning magic was a challenge... Technology is constantly changing.

If you live near a large city, check with an AV equipment supply house. Sometimes they offer rental equipment at a good price and even provide a warranty. The sales rep might offer to demonstrate a couple of different units for you on location.

Please understand, you might not get the lowest price, but you will get advice and support.

Good luck!

I never thought about rental, but it might be a good way to find out what I'm going to need without dropping a huge wad of cash on a purchase. I agree that good advice and support is often worth the extra cost.

Thanks again for your help! I appreciate any and all suggestions! (...and yes I'm checking out the NEC that was mentioned!)
-- Matthew R. Jones --

-- Website --

FREE Remote Cueing System for Mac! - Download Here
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Projectors are expensive. I got mine on ebay for 400.00 with an original cost of 2800.00. Its 2000 lumens and works great in normal lighting of the stage. I suggest rear projection, but many forums don't have the room from behind.

I use a sharpe projector..... not sure the name matters as much as the power.
lugeidx
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of lugeidx
Optoma HD20 High Definition 1080p DLP Best Home Theater Projector Review 2019 https://bestprojector2019.com
Here is a projector that could sway you into dumping your satellite and cable TV.

You would not watch movies at theaters any longer, if you come to know of the experience that has in store.

Considered the first 1080p resolution projectors to be sold for less than 1,000 dollars, Optoma HD20 High Definition 1080p DLP Home Theater Projector brings remarkable features such as 4000:1 on – off contrast and 1.2:1 zoom lens.

And its DLP and Brilliant Color technology guarantees production of vivid colors with the best brightness and quality
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Best projector for stage show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL