The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The perfect street set... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
RoyHolidayMagic
View Profile
New user
New York
85 Posts

Profile of RoyHolidayMagic
BroDavid says: "Cups and Balls seems to be the definitive street closer."

Almost every street magician that I have seen up until now ends with a straight-jacket escape. I saw one that ended with a very strong card effect...but I've only seen that once. I saw cups and balls as a closer maybe twice. But I've seen the straightjacket escape done by street magicians way more than twice...
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I agree with Kozmo re: time of street show. It's all relative. Do what works and what makes the hat full of money in the end. Gazzo says he does 45 minutes, but, as has been said before, he's Gazzo.

Gazzo also said that the people can't believe when he tells them that they've been watching him for 45 minutes. Says they all say it felt like just 10 minutes. All the other routines are just to build an audience. Once it's as big as it's gonna get, then give them the main event.

I think an escape is a great way to close. But don't listen to me. I'm a beginner. I'm just saying what I've heard the pros say.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
The perfect street set is when everyone stays and gives and you had fun and they had a memorable time.

And you feel proud of what you have done and your art...and your lifes work....thats what it is.

I have yet to do that...but I have come close.

koz
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3399 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thank you for that, Kozmo. Very well said. You're a poet. You heard of the poet-warrior? You're the poet-magician.
Cheers,
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
645 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Patrick,

I got it, and you're most assuredly correct.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Because of the many variables on the street -- crowd, weather, mood (yours and theirs), etc. -- there is simply no such thing as a "perfect" set (that is, one that would be prefect for every occasion).

But that's no reason to stop trying!
Smile
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I think Kozmo hit it pretty close. If the largest percentage of days are as he described, then I will be satisfied. Peter is right on the money here too. Keep seeking perfection, because all the hits and misses along the way are taking you in the right direction.

Mike

Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5313 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Transitions are very important...VERY....you need to not hestitate as you move....don't stop and hear the applause because it's an opportunity for your audience to move on.

Constant patter...sunny holiday on the Art of Cellini video...don't stop....you don't want them to burn too long on the streets.

koz
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2699 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2003-05-23 16:00, kasper777 wrote:
PN = professor's nightmare

Or, for the 2000 verson Professor's Nightterrors. For some reason nightmares are referred to as night terrors now. hhmmmm. Smile

"A good nightmare comes so rarely, while ordinary dreams are so easy to find.
A good nightmare comes so rarely, I'll show you yours, if you'll show me mine!"

Smile

Quote:
On 2003-06-07 23:07, BroDavid wrote:
Hello Kurious,

Cups and Balls seems to be the definitive street closer.

And I think Patricks's reference to Big and Brass refers to the cups.... although I am sure Gazzo would take it a step further...

BroDavid

I use little plastic ones I found in a party supply store... I'm not at the level yet where I can justify $$$ for a set of cups! Smile
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
552 Posts

Profile of vernon
During my travels have seen c&b used to close most shows. Me, I've used a Chop Cup. BUT the closer has to kill, and with all the hat lines flowing during and after even when the pax are putting it in.

Almost forgot, re: "The perfect set", It's entirely up to the conditions. Have seen Nick Nicholas at the fringe in Edinburgh and his set consited of 3 effects but with loads of one liners and by-play to generate the crowd. Then, when he had built it..he slayed them with C&B with a watermelon finale.
Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » The perfect street set... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL