The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Using the TT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Chetter
View Profile
New user
Chet Todd
6 Posts

Profile of The Chetter
I've been doing the folding 2$ to 2 1$s to a 5$ trick, (I don't know what it is called) for about four years. I was in a magic store recently and the owner asked me if I had thought about using a TT for the switching the bills. Maybe I'm just dense, but does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Smile Smile Smile
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Woah. Deja vu.

Check out Kevin King's Money Morph video. Again. Smile
Yakworld.
The Chetter
View Profile
New user
Chet Todd
6 Posts

Profile of The Chetter
Thanks,Yak.
I'll do that Smile
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
That guy in the magic shop was talking about the famous $100 Bill Switch. You can get the Money Morph video or the manuscript by Mike Koslowski (I probably spelled that wrong, someone please correct me). Or you can get Roger Klause's In Concert Video as he gives a detailed explanantion of the switch. Plus, I heard a very big book is coming out soon dedicated to the many versions of this trick. Hope that helps.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
The Chetter
View Profile
New user
Chet Todd
6 Posts

Profile of The Chetter
Thanks,
I'll check into the video.
korneille
View Profile
New user
québec/canada
44 Posts

Profile of korneille
There is also Richie' double bill swich in close-up assassin!! Smile
"if we don’t take action now we settle for

nothing later we’ll settle for nothing now

and we’ll settle for nothing later!"

rage against the machine
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Chetter, if you have been performing a successful bill switch routine without a TT, then forget the TT!!! There is absolutely no value added to using it! It simply is not needed to perform the effect.

In fact, Mike Kozlowski recommends learning to perform the effect without the TT in the closing paragraphs of his “100 dollar bill switch”
http://www.magicsmith.com
for $8.40 USD) manuscript. After spending pages and pages and several photos teaching the trick with the TT he then tells us that it is not needed.

When, I first learned the effect, from this manuscript, I took him at his word and believed that was where I was supposed to go with the trick. So I did what he wrote, I learned to do it without the TT. Trust me, it is easier to hide a bill folded into sixteenths than a TT.

There are several printed handlings available that don’t rely on the TT. The "Money Morph" video may be good, I don’t know. There is a booklet form of the "Money Morph" (same name and performer) effect for only $9.00 USD (again from magicsmith).
For the price of the video you could have the original "100 Dollar Bill Switch" book and the "Money Morph" book and still have money left to pay postage.

Hey, for an additional ten bucks you could buy John Lovick’s “Skinny Lecture Notes” and get a good TT-less handling, or better yet his “More Skinny Lecture Notes” which has his “101st dollar bill switch” which is yet another TT-less switch that has been streamlined with fewer moves! So for less than $40.00 USD you can have them all! Hey any ONE of these is more than you need!

Frankly, if you already have a working switch that fools and entertains your spectators, then don’t bother. It simply becomes academic!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I just saw a new video for a bill switch by Rich Sanders on magicsmith.

I also know of a really good bill switch without the use of a TT in a video called Pocket Power by Jarell Leirpaul. Nice stuff.
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Quote:
On 2002-03-19 10:28, mumblepeas wrote:
Chetter, if you have been performing a successful bill switch routine without a TT, then forget the TT!!! There is absolutely no value added to using it! It simply is not needed to perform the effect.

:hmm: Sorry mumblepeas, I've got to disagree with you there. Being able to show your hands cleanly during and after the effect makes it much more powerful than "holding out". As does the illusion that the bill never leaves their sight which is more difficult to achieve in the non TT switches I've seen. Just my opinion.
Smile
Yakworld.
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
615 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I agree with Yak. I feel that "demonstrated cleanliness" is better than "implied cleanliness" whenever possible.

The big advantage of learning a TT-less version is the ability to perform this in a more-impromptu situation...

...which, of course, means nothing to those of you who carry a TT around with you everywhere.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I don’t understand how the TT can make it cleaner! I also don’t see how it is easier to hide a TT over a small folded bill (a US dollar folds to about 1 and 1/2 inches x ¼ inch x less than an eight thick, compared to my Vernet TT which is 1 inch in diameter at the base x 2 inches long or my rubber one that is 2 inches by 7/8 inch in diameter).

The bill never leaves the sight of the spectator. It never disappears behind the fingers even for a second!

I hold the bill between my thumb and the second and third fingers of both hands (the fingers are slightly curled and not really closed). I believe that the spectators can be closer and angles not possible with a TT.

Frankly, the folded bill is easily hidden behind my index finger (actually it fits parallel to and behind the first and second joint of the finger. It is flexible and bends easily to fit a contour of the finger. A very slight curl of the finger keeps it palmed. I don’t have to really worry about keeping the fingers tightly closed or the thumbs hidden. In fact the hand is kept fairly natural.

As an experiment, right now, I am holding a folded dollar bill behind my left index finger and am typing this! It is that easy to hold the bill. I think that if you were watching, you would not notice anything amiss! OK, OK, my speed has decreased somewhat!

As in practicing with a TT, I tended to carry a folded bill around in the whatever it’s called finger palmed position as I did my daily tasks. Drink, eat, write reports, talk to people, etc. It is fairly invisible (as would a TT be).

For most of the folding and unfolding, the bill is held at the extreme fingertips of the second (index) finger and thumb. You simply cannot make that kind of open display with a TT! I can show my hands, one at a time, “freely”.

I could go on and on. I think that you should look into one of Lovick’s published handlings and try it. I suspect that if you did, you would toss the TT.

But then, I could be wrong. I guess it’s what we learn to do from the first and what feels right to us. I learned right away to do away with the TT and don’t feel comfortable or competent using one to pull off this wonderful effect.

So bottom line here is, I guess, to each his or her own.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I have no trouble hiding a bill in my TT. It's rather easy in fact. And people search everywhere for that "extra" bill. But soon give up after realizing I am one step ahead of them always. It's just nice to do an effect where you begin clean, perform clean, and end clean. Call me MR. Clean. Smile
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I'm not trying to be a jerk here and I see everyones point, but mumblepeas when you do your bill switch without the TT I would like to see you show both hands open and clean at the same time.

I think that if it's properly displayed then it does not really matter which method you chose, but the TT adds a bit of cleanliness to the whole thing.

Just so you know, I don't use the TT either and I have never had any problems. It's all in how you carry yourself.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2321 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Lonnie's right.
MatthewBlackwell
View Profile
Regular user
England
140 Posts

Profile of MatthewBlackwell
A slight deviation here from the thread but re. the Kevin King way (with TT)...

I find that I can't hold my TT in the position he does while the foldy business is going on. His seems to sit with the tip of the TT resting at the base of his fingers. Mine doesn't rest there - it slides down to the middle of my palm which can make the right-to-left unfold on the bill (after the change) - where the original gets popped into the TT - rather jerky and obvious - because I have to push the note that much further.

Anyone else found that and got any solutions?

Cheers,

Matthew Blackwell

PS: Yes, I have stumpy fingers Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
You are not being a jerk Lonnie, you are absolutely right; I cannot display both hands open and empty at the same time! But then neither can it be done with a TT.

What I can do is hold the borrowed bill at the tips of the index finger and thumb of the dirty hand and show both sides of the bill in a nonchalant manner! Also, what I can do is keep the bill at the tips of the index fingers and thumbs of both hands and keep all the other fingers open during the folding and unfolding phases. There is simply none of that pushing movement of a bill into a TT that characterizes this effect (yes I know, none of you do that move, but it seems that almost everyone else, including David Copperfield on TV, does!).

I do absolutely agree with Coolmoney in that I have no trouble hiding a bill (or a coin for that matter) in a TT. I strongly agree with you all, that the effect, using a gimmick, is effective and amazing. Those are facts and are not at issue with me. I simply believe that the handling is cleaner, smoother, and easier without the gimmick, that’s all. It’s a belief, an opinion, an article of faith, somewhat based on my limited experience with the effect.

As Coolmoney writes, it begins clean, performs clean, and ends clean. I am honestly happy that the TT version works so very well for you. It simply doesn’t for me.

My routine requires a lot of “playing” with the bill (doing a couple of other visual tricks with the bill and a gag) well before I do the miss-made portion (bill switch). I can do (and do) all of those little stunts and the gag with the folded bill in place. Part of all of that is to demonstrate the emptiness of the hands (and the gimmicklessness of the thumbs!) before I get to the strongest part of the routine, the visible changing of the dollar.

However, my routine will not permit having a TT in place, (the hands get held at one point) and the flow of the routine does not allow for a steal. Of course I could build a whole new routine just to put a TT in play, but why?

Finally, the TT-less version is ready all the time, nothing extra to carry or worry about. Just a bill!

That we have at least two good methods to accomplish this effect gives it strength. I would love for two of us to perform it following each other, just when the spectators think they know, ZAP! Another method!

Bottom line, if you reread the references I recommended purchasing, you’ll find that I recommended getting both versions. It probably would not hurt, to learn both methods or at least walk through both several times and then determine which is more comfortable for you. In the end, what fits you and works for you probably will not fit me and vice versa. The beauty of our art is that is so very flexible!

When all is said and done, it is not the method it’s the effect that is important!

But then, I could be wrong!
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
Quote:
On 2002-03-19 02:27, cardguy wrote:

Or you can get Roger Klause's In Concert Video as he gives a detailed explanantion of the switch.

I think you can get Roger Klause's handling in manuscript form for about $3. (Mine came as a freebie thrown in with another trick, but I don't remember which one.)

Also, Richard Sanders's new video,
Visi-Bill, looks very cool.
Go watch a short demo of it at
http://www.magicsmith.com
(His "Richie's Double Bill Switch" is also taught on the same tape.)
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Mumblepeas, first let me say thanks for taking the time for such thorough posts. Very informative and I'm itching to get a look at your routine (perhaps you could share it elsewhere... please) Smile

But you're still losing me on this one point:

Quote:
On 2002-03-19 21:15, mumblepeas wrote:
I cannot display both hands open and empty at the same time! But then neither can it be done with a TT.

Are you specifically referring to during the switch? Or are you speaking from the "don't flash the TT" school before and after?

Matthew, try pushing the TT into the crotch (uhhhh hu huh, you said crotch) of your LH. It's very secure there, and lines up perfectly. When you do the move make sure the tip of your stumpy right thumb is on the far right of the billet?
Yakworld.
Dominic Reyes
View Profile
Inner circle
Got to a gig too early so wrote his
1403 Posts

Profile of Dominic Reyes
Anyone using a TT and a few folding coins to perform coin switches?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yak, at the very beginning, during the folding, and at the end of the tip-less, methods allow for a cleaner and more open display of the hands. The hands may be shown without any clever hiding the thumb moves. They can just rest on a tabletop or at the side in a natural, fingers somewhat open, thumbs where they belong (LOL) posture. However, they cannot be shown front and back after all a small package of paper is being held behind one finger.

My statement alluded to the fact that the TT also is subject to some angle problems. Thus my statement, that while I agreed that the TT-less methods had an angle problem, so did the TT methods. There is a slight weakness in both.

Still, either way, it is a good, strong effect and well worth having in ones repertory of effects.

Dominic, I haven’t used that method to do a switch, but I have used that method to vanish a coin. I have a nice American 1921, Silver, “Morgan” Dollar that’s a folder and vanishes nicely into a TT. That’s a big looking coin and a nice effect. Especially after I have used “regular” Morgan Dollars in other effects. A Bobo switch, a TT and a miracle!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Using the TT (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL