The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Different ending for Silk to Egg (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
I was reading an old Linking Ring magazine, which talked about putting things inside a blown egg. One item mentioned was a silk. This got me to thinking about doing Silk to Egg and ending by cracking the egg to show, not raw egg, but that the silk is inside.

I should mention that the reason I am thinking about this is that about half the time I crack the egg, the raw egg runs down the side of the glass and drips on the living room carpet. I've even had the whole egg shell crumble and leave me with raw egg running down my arm (and dripping on the living room carpet).

Back to the effect. If, during the sucker explanation, you show the silk going into the hole on the back of the egg, then "remove" the hole, where is the silk? Inside the egg. If you can repair the holes the egg was blown through, you could even hand the egg out and have a spectator crack it open.

What do you think? Or, has someone else already come up with this?

Tate
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
How about using a blown egg and a balloon to dove tray to produce a dove? I don't know if it would be able to crush the eggshell, though.
-Matt
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Getting back to your question about the silk IN egg, Tate, I think the idea is brilliantly cool....and magical.

I don't know if it's been published before. Seems like it would have been in a Tarbell or Trevor Lewis book.

So how were you thinking of repairing the egg??

- Steve H
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Quote:
On 2009-02-14 14:59, Steve Hook wrote:
So how were you thinking of repairing the egg??

- Steve H

Spackle? Plaster? Bondo? JB Weld? I don't know, does anyone have a YFM (your favorite method)?

I also don't know how much of a pain in the albumin it is to put a silk inside an egg. I guess you just poke it in carefully with a toothpick or crochet hook.

Tate
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
There was an old method of filling a dried blown egg with confetti. You could just crush the egg and scatter the crumbled egg shells bits with the confetti, or as you have suggested, crack it and leave the egg shell intact with confetti scattering to the... carpet... but easier to vacuum up.

However, of main interest is how the confetti was put into the eggshell in the first place. The blow hole was widened a bit, and the confetti pushed in with tweezers and packed down with a straw. Then, white glue and water (or in the old days, Before Elmer, it was library paste and water) is painted around the hole and white tissue paper pieces (the kind used for wrapping gifts) were glued in place over the hole, criss-crossing it. When dry, the paper is like papier mache over the hole, and it is pretty much camouflaged; but if more camouflage is desired, white paint can be applied over the entire egg.

Alternatives to confetti: M&Ms, necklace beads (and then do the bit where you toss up the loose beads and they string themselves into a necklace... another oldie-but-goodie), jelly beans (Easter is coming!), or print up your own silk with an egg yolk (fried egg) pictured on it-- the yolk's on me!
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
About 35 years ago, I did an effect similar to this. I would vanish an egg (devil's hank) by placing it in a handkerchief, showing the egg form in handkerchief, then crushing it and showing hanky empty. Then, I would take a silk and vanish it. I used a no handle change bag. I would then produce the egg by lifting my pant leg and pull it out from the top of my sock. I would show the egg, then break it and the silk was inside. Of course, dupes were involved. Used to get a decent response.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
Ronjo has this item, Silk To Egg - Vernet. Instead of the yoke, you can load it with anything.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
When I used a blown egg to confetti, I would very careful glue tissue paper over the holes. I stopped bothering after a while because in holding up the egg between fore finger and thumb, I was covering the holes anyway. NO ONE ever said: "Wait a second, show us the whole egg. We want to be sure it's real."

I stopped doing the trick because mom's complained about confetti getting everywhere.

I think the idea of a silk inside a blown egg is a very different and interesting ending. Again, if you hold the egg properly, no one will see the ends with the holes. Don't run if they ain't chasin' ya. Smile
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Different ending for Silk to Egg (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL