The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My New Business Card - Please Give Criticism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Hi

I just recently re-designed my business card I am trying to get advice from everyone I know in every profession... and now I want the advice of other magicians...

Here is the Front
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6545/bu......ywk7.jpg

Here is The Back
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/520/b......yic2.jpg
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
First, around applause for taking a step into designing your card.

My thoughts,
FRONT: Bad photo.... SMILE A BIT or at least come up with an interesting pose
BACK: HMMM.... is this a business card or an advisement card?

Get them printed at:
http://gotprint.net/g/showStaticPage.do?......ing.html
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Hey Chris!

Welcome to the Café!

There seems to be a bit much going on at the same time on the business card. It is kind of hard to focus. Almost everything on it is centered with the same font and it all says READ ME FIRST!

You don't really need to have two sided card, it will cost more to print. Especially with both sides in color.

The contrast on the photos seems a bit off and on the info side it appears to have the shirt superimposed?

Here is my business card to get some ideas on layout and formatting.

Just my 2 cents.

I get mine printed at vistaprint.com They always have specials with 250 premium cards for free. I have never paid for my business cards.

Click here to view attached image.
-Matt
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Dang Chris, you look like misery in a tie in those photos. I take it your show isn't fun?

I tend to go for standard type business cards but I suggest you leave the back clear to do some of those cool business card effects.
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
I have no problem with a two-sided card. Be sure to check your spelling. I know this is a work in progress, but "entertainment" and "mesmerizing" are both misspelled.

Joe Libby
San Antonio, TX
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Borack
View Profile
Regular user
Tampa Bay
109 Posts

Profile of Borack
Better pictures...Spelling
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2394 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Keep in mind that in todays world a business card is a tool to intice your prospective customer to go to your web site, where you can dazzle them with all kinds of information. For that reason I like Matt's card. It has just enough information on it and it looks interesting. In other words, keep it simple.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The best advice I ever received about business cards was:
Make your contact information extremely visible. A good test is to put your card on the floor and from a seated position, try to read it. Based on the pics, yours would be lost.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Okay here's my penny's worth for what it's worth (and before I continue you must now that I have your best interests at heart, I love sharing my knowlege and preventing others from making the same mistakes that I made)...

1. I agree with people that you look as miserable as sin on the front of the card...unless your performing character is as miserable as sin, you need a photo of you as you would be when you would be performing, so if that means smiling then for gods sake get a photo of you smiling.

2. The font of the front of the card, althought fancy smancy looks like as if it were designed by a four year old...this is just my opinion however, you must do what is right for you.

3. The fact that you offer reasons why people should book you = great!

4. Your first reason is affordable rates = YUCK! What a terrible marketing position to put yourself into. Firstly, you sound like a cheap amateur and secondly, my immedate thought (as a business owner) was great...I can negotitate his rate right down until he's virtually working for free!

5. FUN FOR ALL AGES...Oh please, come on...what's the market you're aiming for and remember, 1 market = 1 business card

6. QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT & OVER 8 YEARS EXPERIENCE...where's the benefits for your potential prospect? If you could word this in such a way that they become true benefits then great.

Here's two ideas of the top of my head...

MAKING EVENTS MEMORABLE FOR OVER 8 YEARS

QUALITY ENTERTAINMENT THAT WILL MAKE YOUR EVENT THE SUCCESS IT DESERVES TO BE

7. You include a call to action....WELL DONE! I'd probably add in an extra reson to contact you e.g. a free report.

Hope this helps and my warmest regards,

Martin
renricker7
View Profile
Regular user
Halle, Germany
150 Posts

Profile of renricker7
Hi chris,

I like the backside much better as the front.

as said before, bring instead of features some benefits.

the calls to action are great.

to the front, the font would be good if you make some horror shows or somthing of that kind. that is what I imagine when I see this font.

to the piture on the front:

I wouln´t use at first a picture wich looks like one of a gravedigger. also you show olny a half of your person, of your face, that seems not very open and friendly. also that you don´t smile helps not a lot to change that view.

but all in all there are some good ideas in your creation.

@matthew

here where i´m from there is no printhouse that offers unprinted backsides, as far as I know. they are allways front and back, 4/4, if you know what I mean.

if you have a full colour front side it looks also not so good with a white back, just to give some food to think about.

even if it is ten bucks cheeper, who cares? it is something to hand out to bring you buissness - quality is important.

rené
MagicB1S
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville Tenn.
1039 Posts

Profile of MagicB1S
The most Important thing on a card is your CONTACT INFORMATION..... and yours is not popping out at me.
"There are Tricks To All Trades.... My Trade is all Tricks"

"An amature practices until he gets it right. A Professional Practices until he can't get it wrong"

www.Themagicchest.webs.com
bobswislosky@yahoo.com
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Your card is suppose to drive people to your website. I wont get into what I think about the site as it isn’t what is for discussion. On your site the shows are described as funny. Your card goes the opposite route. There definitely needs to be the same message portrayed.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Never put the number of years put what year you've been working since, otherwise you need to order cards every year...

Ryan,
Your cards drives people to your site? Mine makes them call me, I don't need them to go to my site then to call me. That is one more step for them to take, why make it more difficult? If they are unsure my site will push them to call but it is not my goal with my card, my goal is to have them call me, period.

J
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
Just get a professional to help you. Save the time, effort and money of messing up 4 cards and just take the dive on getting a pro. It's worth it's weight in gold...

J
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
The cards are to help them make the next step. In order to be a more informed buyer most people will visit your site before calling. If you are giving the individual the card then they are more likely to call you first. If a friend gives them the card they will visit the site. As long as the customer is taking action that's all that matters.
At the end of the day the individual can not be receiving two different messages.
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 21:49, Matthew W wrote:
Hey Chris!

Welcome to the Café!

There seems to be a bit much going on at the same time on the business card. It is kind of hard to focus. Almost everything on it is centered with the same font and it all says READ ME FIRST!

You don't really need to have two sided card, it will cost more to print. Especially with both sides in color.

The contrast on the photos seems a bit off and on the info side it appears to have the shirt superimposed?

Here is my business card to get some ideas on layout and formatting.

Just my 2 cents.

I get mine printed at vistaprint.com They always have specials with 250 premium cards for free. I have never paid for my business cards.

Maybe it's just me , but Matthew, I think Chris's card is much better than yours.
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Chris,

1. You know what I do with free/1 sided business cards? Keep them as scraps of paper--unless you are going to use the back for a magic purpose that is SPECIFIC TO YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS it needs to be double sided. period.

2. Pictures are awesome. Real Estate agents have them on their card, we are in a visual business and should too. However, they need to be pictures that represent ourselves as solution providers (i.e. if we are saving the host's day by making her kids laugh, we need to show that, etc) Pictures that aren't specific to you and your business are just as useless as stock images. (Another huge no-no!)

3. You need contact information on BOTH sides of your card.

4. As has already been mentioned, you need CONTINUITY and BENEFITS versus features.

5. USP? Please keep in mind that your benefits should not be "mesmerizing magic" but something that helps the client. "Mesmerizing magic that will make your event a hit" is better, but still not something that helps your branding. Take it a step further. Make them remember YOU. For example, my company is Enchanted Entertainment and my USP is "Making Dreams Come True."

Alexa
TheDean
View Profile
Inner circle
Reno, Nevada
2164 Posts

Profile of TheDean
A quick SEARCH will reveal MUCH about how to design an effective “BUSINESS CARD” vs just a calling card. We’ve gone over this a bazillion times and opinions run ramped… I would go with someone who has real, provable RESULTS when it comes to this subject! The rest is a waist of time and money of your marketing and outreach resources.

Each person gets to decide for themselves which you want…
= A BUSINESS Card
Or just
= A Calling Card.

There is no real wrong answer only what each may want to accomplish and how to most effectively the a-for-to-mentioned card delivers that PROVEN result!

For “ME”, (personally and business wise…) I choose an effective “BUSINESS Card”

Think about it; what is the POINT of a truly effective BUSINESS Card? May I suggest that “The POINT of a “BUSINESS Card” is to generate BUSINESS!”

Not just to
= look pretty
= or get our NAME out there,
= or prove how cool we are,
…or any of that crap! (Unless that is what you are going for… and good luck to you if that is the case…)

REMEMBER, your BUSINESS CARD is supposed to move people along in the BUSINESS, influence, and persuasion of the ‘process’ of getting to ‘an appropriate buyer/seller match’ and mutual win!

Also, (again and again ad again…) in most cases; To suggest that NOT taking advantage of all the marketing real estate available to us is usually business suicide! USE ALL YOU CAN GET to your success advantage!

Duh!

Don’t be fooled… no one gives a rats-tail-end about YOU till you PROVE that you have the solution they want, need and desire and their best interest at heart!

“People Don’t Care How Much You Know, Till They KNOW How Much you Care!”

If that doesn’t say it all…

USE your card to advance THAT cause… and you will have a “Card The Means BUSINESS!”

I am at your service and in HIS Service,
Dean
<><

UPDATE:
Alexa & I were posting at the same time... good stuff! Thanks!
Dean Hankey, *M.D. - The Dean of Success Solutions!
Serving & Supporting YOU and Your Success!
"Book More Shows... Make More Money... SERVE MORE PEOPLE! - Not Necessarily In That Order…"

(*Marketing Doctor) Smile
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
Thanks Dean! Totally agree with you!

Alexa
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've been thinking, he should keep the photos and give himself the tytle "Man of Misery", a play off the term "Man of Mystery", I like it.

Dean, don't you have something on designing a business card available at your site? I saw it a few years ago and it was pretty interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » My New Business Card - Please Give Criticism (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL