The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a historical reference (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dorian Rhodell
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco, CA.
1633 Posts

Profile of Dorian Rhodell
Hey guys,

I also posted this in the gambling section but thought I might get a response here as well.
I'm hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking to see if there are any references to the origins of the gamblers cop. Specifically I would be looking for a time period when the move first started being used (for any purposes) and possibly a text sourcre / reference. The earlier the source the better.

Thanks for any help in advance,

Dorian Rhodell
EdgarWilde
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of EdgarWilde
I take it you read up in Scarne and Erdnase.
You could try to "Ask Alexander":

http://www.conjuringarts.org/
(http://askalexander.org/)
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
If I remember right, it was a long time ago in a land far, far away...

Seriously, though, I have no idea Dorian. Maybe Gamblers Book Club could be of some assistance with the resource?
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Dorian:

Luvisi would know.

SEY
luvisi
View Profile
Special user
601 Posts

Profile of luvisi
The earliest mention of it that I'm aware of is in The Secrets of Conjuring and Magic by Robert-Houdin. Some oldish (depending on your perspective) 20th century sources that describe something more like the way it's usually done today include Stars of Magic, Action Palm, The Card Magic of LePaul, and Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic.

Andru
P.S. One of these days you're going to get me in trouble, Steven, by promising something that I can't deliver. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Looking for a historical reference (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL