The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Restaurant Magic Reader (you'll make a living with this) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Waited until some of the hubbub died down a bit, so this would bring this back into focus when the physical book came out. As to whether a book about restaurant magic is relevant to a mentalist (such as me), you be the judge. I'll speak more of this at the end.

First, my initial reaction upon reading it:

Oh! My! Stars!

The highest recommendation I've given for this book, is that I've told several people that each and every concern or question they might have about the business is answered in this book. For the newbie or the veteran, this is the manual, the one which sets the standard.

Jim Sisti is the author. For those in the know, that's enough information right there. He's well established as the #1 authority on making a living via restaurants -- and close-up magic. One can choose to learn from him - and also make a pretty good living; or one can dismiss this book because the advice offends you.

Yes, there's enough in here to offend a lot of people who dabble in magic. Things such as dress, poise, courtesy. Things such as how to endear yourselves to management & the staff, and how to make yourself valuable to the place(s). Advice such as getting inside the mind of your patrons and learning how to be a real gentleman or lady to them, and - rather than being intrusive - becoming a delightful memory which grows more charming with time's passing. Things such as developing your own fans. Entertaining the grown-ups while simultaneously entertaining the youngsters. Things such as how to get outside work while keeping your word to the restaurant. These are things which the Criss Angel wannabe may not want to hear, or believe.

Jim even shows how to choose (and land) the restaurant which will provide the best pay, the steadiest work, and the best type of customers.

You want to know how to deal with hecklers? It's in here.

You want to know how to get the gig? It's in here.

You want to know how to develop your character? What kind of magic to use? What sort of work is involved in making a living?

It's all in here.

As to whether a book about restaurant magic is relevant to a mentalist -- I'm not the only one who's performed mentalism from table-to-table. One of the things which made it work, was advice from Jim Sisti. Stuff that's in this book.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1260 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Thanks for the review, Chet!
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Long live Lowell and Richie!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Does Jim Sisti work restaurants now?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Starting back in November of 2008, Jim Sisti started performing at the Ginza restaurant in Bloomfield, CT on Sundays. Of course, he's also doing shows for his clients on other nights.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Chet, thanks for the review.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
917 Posts

Profile of Martino
How much of this book is a rehash of the articles from Magic Magazine?
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
About 3 ounces, though I wouldn't call "rewritten and edited" a "rehash."

Look, if you don't like Sisti's work and if you aren't willing to take his advice, don't buy it. It won't help you.

*jeep!
--your kindly neighborhood Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
It's certainly no deep, dark secret that The Restaurant Magic Reader is a compilation. In fact, in a different thread, I posted the following on January 26th:

"Over the last 20 years, I've written quite a few pieces on various aspects of this topic for M-U-M, Genii, and MAGIC and also devoted a number of episodes of Talk About Magic (a weekly Internet commentary I did for Richard Robinson's Magic Show site for 8 years) to it. Some of these essays made their way into the pages of the Menu over its 11 years - maybe about 25% - but the others never did. So, I gathered all of these writings together with a few I never published and a couple of others that were in various states of completion (which I finished for this collection) and they made a surprisingly substantial book - 185 pages worth. So, the bottom line is that rather than this stuff being scattered all over the place, anyone who is interested in the least in anything I have to say can read it all in one place.

I titled it The Restaurant Magic Reader because it's just that - a collection of my articles on various topics related to restaurant magic that can either be read front to back or opened at any place that interests the reader. There are no tricks - well, there is one that's described in one of the essays, complete with its method, to make a point - but that's it.

It also wasn't put together with the express purpose of providing a soup-to-nuts course in working restaurants but, as I look over the contents, it could certainly serve that purpose."

Thanks for the opportunity, though, to bring Martino up to speed. And, thanks, Barry, for mentioning Ginza. I've been having quite a bit of fun there on Sunday evenings. That gig came on the heels of working a Mexican restaurant chain (three restaurants) for quite some time. So, yes, some of you can now relax - I do still work restaurants in between corporate shows.

For those interested, more details on the book can be found at http://www.themagicmenu.com and if you put 'magiccafe' in the promo code box, there's a $5.00 discount. I will now return you to your regularly scheduled nit-picking, apparently always in progress... Smile
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I hardly see that wanting to clarify whether you still work restaurants or whether the material in this new book can be found elsewhere as "nit-picking". Or, was this meant to be funny?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
817 Posts

Profile of andykean
Hi all

this is a fabulous read & well worth your time & money.
Even though I had read some of this previously in magic magazine & the magic menu
Martin great to see on the Café hope all is well in your world.
My tip just buy it , it is a great reference all in one place.
Real world advice, and I found myself nodding and laughing at some of the information,Jim kids in restaurants must be the same all over the world!

I a way I hope few others do buy it as this will keep repeating their mistakes instead of learning from Jim's
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1889 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I have read 3/4 of the way thru it so far. Everything I have read so far is fantastic.
Some I knew, others I was vaguely aware of and tons I had no idea. It's also an easy read, very straight forward and to the point with fun mixed in.

I only wish it had more ideas on how to get the gig. I liked what he said about it but there must be other ways as well. Does anyone have a source for this type of information?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Slyhand, try http://www.lybrary.com/professional-rest......348.html

But you must not have noticed The Script, which is my name for Jim's short phone script which has never failed to get me an audition if I make three calls.

Andy, you're sneaky in wanting to keep all this information for yourself. But I tend to have the same feeling!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Jim,

Many thanks for the promo code. My order has been placed.

Mario
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1889 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2009-02-17 08:27, mormonyoyoman wrote:
Slyhand, try http://www.lybrary.com/professional-rest......348.html

But you must not have noticed The Script, which is my name for Jim's short phone script which has never failed to get me an audition if I make three calls.

Andy, you're sneaky in wanting to keep all this information for yourself. But I tend to have the same feeling!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet

Thanks for the link.
Yes, I did read the "script" and it seemed very sound. I was just looking for additional ideas.
Thanks again.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
Thanks for the kind words about the book, guys. It's very much appreciated.

To Slyhand, if you'll send me a PM, I'll be happy to kick around some ideas with you regarding strategies on landing a restaurant gig.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1889 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Sent and thank you.

Alec
dimosa
View Profile
New user
Belgium/antwerp
67 Posts

Profile of dimosa
So many good books, tips, explanations ....

I'm just asking what's the difference between:

"Jim Sisti - The restaurant magic reader"
-
"David Stone - The real secret of magic"

I own David's version, but I'm reading good reviews about Jim's book.
And that's why I'm asking you folks, what the difference is?

D.
dimosa
View Profile
New user
Belgium/antwerp
67 Posts

Profile of dimosa
I forgot to put this book too...

Jim pace:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=218&3

D.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Don't know, Little D. Haven't Stone's book, though I have the feeling you're comparing apples to oranges. (Is Stone's book about how to thrive as a restaurant magician?)

As to Jim Pace's book -- um...what's a delicate way to say this..?

*jeep!
--your kindly Grandpa
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Jim Sisti
View Profile
V.I.P.
Connecticut
456 Posts

Profile of Jim Sisti
All of the books on restaurant magic are simply points of view. The idea that any one work is the "bible" is pure nonsense.

In my opinion, if someone is genuinely interested in a particular subject (such as restaurant magic), they should seek out ALL of the available references, assimilate the data, retain what speaks to them and move forward from there.

There are a number of good books on restaurant magic out there - but there aren't THAT many...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Restaurant Magic Reader (you'll make a living with this) (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL