The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hotel Maids -- Tip 'Em or No? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Regarless of whether you are staying in a five-star Hilton Hotel or a rundown budget motel, how many of you actually leave a daily cash tip for the maid that cleans and freshens your hotel room when you are out traveling? If so, how much of a tip do you leave?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
A buck per pillow as suggested by the king of magic, Aye Jaye, in his Golden Book of Smoozing, which you all should buy.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Already have it, but the cover of mine says "Schmoozing".
;)
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
You mean the ones I saw on TV, who wiped down the bathroom with used towels, then used the towels to wipe out the drinking glasses?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
That's the last time I order 100 pillows for pillow beds.
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
733 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I always tip. They make minumum wage, and most of them don't work 40 hours per week. My Mom use to clean Motel rooms, so I know how much it means to them to get a nice tip.
Bob.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Always tip the help. Just like in an office you always make friends with the guy in the mail room. It makes life much easier.

Josh, I bet the reason the ones you saw wiped out the glasses with used towels was because the guest didn't leave a tip.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Talk to them and tip them. I generally ask a very simple favor the first day as a means to start conversation. Always say a greeting when passing in the hall. Always tip at least 1$/day. I'm also rather neat and organized in hotels so their job is quite simple.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 10:51, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Josh, I bet the reason the ones you saw wiped out the glasses with used towels was because the guest didn't leave a tip.

I am curious as to if you see how insulting this point of view is? You know there are people who do the job they have agreed to, no matter what they are paid, simply because they have said they will do it. It is part of who they are. Just because they do not get a tip, will not change how the job is done.

Your remark is quite insulting actually to people who work these jobs.

Get the aforementioned book by the way all. It is priceless.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Danny, would it have helped if I had remembered to include a Smile after my comment?

Because-
a) I am well aware that some people have a good work ethic.
b) Josh saw what he saw, they weren't doing their job properly.
c) I was being slightly silly based on caricatures and stereotypes (such as the disgruntled waiter spitting in the soup.)

Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
If I'm staying there for more than one night I leave five bucks the first night. That way they take good care of me the rest of the stay. Otherwise a dollar per pillow is a good rule. ALWAYS TIP! What is a few bucks?
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Always tip. Show some class.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I have the special 'smoozing' addition specially printed for those of us who can't spell. Viva la Aye Jaye!
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
I've worked for partial tips and know exactly how it feels not to get them and so I always leave a good tip. If you can't leave a tip, put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door. If you can afford to go out and stay in a hotel then you can certainly spare a couple of bucks for the people making your bed, changing the sheets, cleaning the bathroom and refilling all the soap and shampoo.
Eddie Ivan Torres
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I tip Waitresses and Housekeeping, I do not tip Mcdonalds workers or Espresso people.

Usually anywhere they have a tip jar is a place I do not tip; seeing as this typically means you have to go to them to recieve whatever service is proffered. If they come to me, I generally tip.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 12:18, EsnRedshirt wrote:
Danny, would it have helped if I had remembered to include a Smile after my comment?

Because-
a) I am well aware that some people have a good work ethic.
b) Josh saw what he saw, they weren't doing their job properly.
c) I was being slightly silly based on caricatures and stereotypes (such as the disgruntled waiter spitting in the soup.)

I am sorry nobody ever told me which stereotypes are good and which are bad.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Eddie Torres
View Profile
Special user
New York City
692 Posts

Profile of Eddie Torres
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 17:42, Josh Riel wrote:
I tip Waitresses and Housekeeping, I do not tip Mcdonalds workers or Espresso people.

Usually anywhere they have a tip jar is a place I do not tip; seeing as this typically means you have to go to them to recieve whatever service is proffered. If they come to me, I generally tip.

Totally with you on this one. Tipping someone at Dunkin Donuts... pffft!
Eddie Ivan Torres
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Bars tend to have tip jars...

and I have bartended. and it aint always easy
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I always tip the bartender, too. There's certain jobs that depend on tips for a significant portion of their income. This does vary from country to country, so it's good to check the tipping customs before you travel.

Oh, and the old tradition of giving Christmas gifts to the mail carrier? Apparently they can't legally accept them, being government employees for tax purposes.

acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Wow...I always tip at Dunkin Donuts.

I am a late night person and end up in these places quite late or should I say early morning and run into the same girls again and again..having said that I started tipping them from the very beginning and after about the third time there when picking out what choloestral builder I wanted the girls started picking for me sayinig don't take this one or that one, they have been here for a few hours..the cinnamon twists and the glazed are really fresh. I like a litte ice with my coffe becasue it is really hot in these places and I never have to ask for it any more. They just give me a cup with ice with my coffee.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hotel Maids -- Tip 'Em or No? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL