The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Facebook, Myspace, Reunion.com. etc. What's the scoop? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
ryansmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Reading, PA
147 Posts

Profile of ryansmagic
Quote:
On 2009-02-16 11:44, kcg5 wrote:
Im friends with jeff, kyle, steve brooks, gwyd, agent.......

then again, Im also friends with Michael Ammar, McBride, and Michael palin

I joined facebook not too long ago. I am "friends" with some famous magicians, most of them because everyone is their friend. Now I get friend requests from other magicians I don't know. I think it's because they can see who I am friends with.

If I don't know you don't send me a friend request.
Ryan Parsons
[email]ryanparsons@comcast.net[/email]
http://www.magicformiracles.com
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
As always, I am a huge fan of these sites. They help me keep in touch with booking agents and other performers I have worked with (Or hope to work with).
Myspace and facebook have gotten me a LOT of work.
And...They help me to keep in touch with friends from my past as well as those in other places I don't usually go.
They have only done me good.
So why not? It is a decent diversion that keeps me in the loop.
Gwyd
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Jeff McBride never confirmed my friend request.

:(
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I just added Gwyd!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I joined facebook a few months ago out of curiosity. I am really enjoying it though. As others have stated, I found a kid I grew up with whom I had lost touch with and had not seen in over 20+ years. That was well worth it alone just to find him again and to rekindle friendships of when I was a child.

I also have gotten a chance to beocme friends and get to know a lot of magicians I never would have had the chance to meet if not for facebook. I only accept friends requests if I know them or we share the same friends. If I do this, I have no ever had any problems at all.

I also find it a great way to keep in touch with people I meet at shows, past clients and such. It has gotten me a few shows from it alone and also is a way for me to get information out to people whom may be intersted in my latest column or product coming out.

For me, it has worked very well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Always a pleasure Vandy!
Looking forward to off board interaction!
G
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
I was using facebook in the days when it was only available for certain college students. That's pretty much how they made sure that it was "cool;" keeping it exclusive for a little while. I remember the day that they let you put photo albums on there and that's when it became central to many of my friends social lives.

I think if some of my facebook junky friends knew that their parents would later be joining it wouldn't have had the same appeal for them.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-02-16 14:14, scaevola wrote:
I think if some of my facebook junky friends knew that their parents would later be joining it wouldn't have had the same appeal for them.

Old people ruin everything.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Like many of you, I joined Facebook kicking and screaming at my wife's insistence; I simply didn't have time to fritter away. Since then, I've discovered a whole new business network for the serious pro. For example, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn can offer a tremendous boost to your websites' search engine rankings. My fan group offers fans and clients a chance to keep up with my schedules, post testimonials, view videos and chat. All three offer an inexpensive method for sending out broadcast messages such as last-minute public appearances, meeting & appearance reminders and special event listings. There really is a wealth of excellent business networking tools available from these three networking sites. Look a little deeper.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
OK, in a nutshell, why not just use regular email?

1. For most people, you can't find their email address. Performers are easy, they have websites, they post on email discussion groups, etc. Where do you find regular people who are your potential audience?

2. Regular email comes with loads of spam. We have really industrial spam-blockers, but still a lot gets through. There is no spam on Facebook, in my experience, and very little on MySpace.

Asking what good these sites are is like standing in front of the tool display at Home Depot and asking what anyone could do with any of that stuff.

I really like Facebook. We have a page for Theater of Marvels. Find us!

Yours,

Paul
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-02-16 12:32, gsidhe wrote:
As always, I am a huge fan of these sites. They help me keep in touch with booking agents and other performers I have worked with (Or hope to work with).
Myspace and facebook have gotten me a LOT of work.
And...They help me to keep in touch with friends from my past as well as those in other places I don't usually go.
They have only done me good.
So why not? It is a decent diversion that keeps me in the loop.
Gwyd

I'm still on the track of thinking "Can't you do all that with good old e-mail?"
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
scaevola
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of scaevola
But how do you find people who you lost touch with? whose current emails you don't have? facebook lets you search by highschool, hometown, alma mater, etc.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Paul is 100% correct. In Facebook, you can also set up a fan page where you can post videos and publicity photos, as well as announce upcoming performances, etc. People can become your fan and be automatically notified of updates. Whenever someone joins, the fact is displayed on their wall- which all their friends see, allowing their friends to check out your page and become fans as well.

There ain't no such thing as bad publicity...

-Erik
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm slowly beginning to get the picture, now. It's taken me a while, but I am admittedly old fashioned.

But, maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
It takes time, effort and cooperation to have emails spread out in a viral manner without resorting to spam. With Facebook, as Erick mentioned, posts and news spread instantly through the network with little to no effort on the part of those on your list.

A close friend in Michigan had a fan create a Fan Page for him. He knew nothing about it. Within a few weeks he collected nearly 200 praising fans logged onto and commenting on his shows; with absolutely no effort on his part. Imagine what you can do with a focused campaign. Kyle Peron has created a Magicians' Wii group for Internet tournaments. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination and needs.

These networks are a form of viral marketing at their finest and easiest. Imagine a low-key Buzz campaign taking on a life of its own. You can do the same thing with email - but, it's much more effort. Picture this: If you had just ten Facebook friends with ten friends each and each of those friends had ten friends, your postings just reached a thousand people with a little basic effort. Now understand that Facebook friend and group member lists usually rank in the hundreds and thousands - not mere tens.

Best of all, you avoid the reputation-crushing stigma of spam. Everyone on your fan page or friend list is there by choice. They've agreed to receive your missives. If they tire of them, they simply block future messages. Each person has complete control over his or her own privacy, walls, message boxes and so on.

I wish I'd listened to my wife and joined sooner!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Rock_Slatestone
View Profile
Regular user
Been Here A While But My Post Count Is
120 Posts

Profile of Rock_Slatestone
Quote:
On 2009-02-15 12:30, daffydoug wrote:
What would be the advantage of staying in contact via Facebook as opposed to just regular e-mail?

Email is so yesterday. Smile

I prefer to stick with Facebook..I'm 41 and I get it and I enjoy it. Smile You don't need to be under 30.

It is great way to stay in touch with friends and family yet have controls over who sees what. Since I have kids of my own. I only except invites from people I know for safety and all that.

Steven
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The benefits of facebook

1) I can run events, invite people and keep track of who is coming. This works for both shows and private parties (search: The Catchpenny Club)

2) I can see what my current friends are up to. If someone "is bored at home", I might give them a call and catch up

3) I can share photos with my friends.

4) I can keep track of people I don't really want to call or email. E.g. old school friends. Ex girlfriend gets married, best friend from high school has a baby. It's nice to know what's going on without having to call them.

5) Social interaction. I can chat, play games and interact with friends overseas and interstate.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I have to admit that I am FB curious, but I am afraid to come out and join. Frankly there are a lot of people from my past that I would rather avoid, and a bit of snooping reveals that people I never really liked seem to be vastly over represented, as opposed to people I would love to get back in touch with.

Still I keep thinking about it. I shake it from my mind but the curiosity returns later. I am 40 and only a few years ago I was always on top of the latest online things. Now I feel that I'm losing touch completely. Getting old a bit sooner than I would like.

I don't know... I cannot really picture what people do on there. I certainly don't want to go and ask a bunch of people if they want to be my friend, please please. How uncool. Why do I want in then? The only few people close to me who I know are on there, I see all the time anyway. And I do all my magic talk here and love it. So what is the attraction to me about Facebook?

I suppose I am a little worried about childhood bullies finding me and thinking that I'm a sad magic geek loser. Which I really am from their point of view. And what about the ones who became junkies and so on. Will they suddenly feel the need to look me up in the middle of the night?

Dear Prudence, I need some advice.

Sincerely

Square Esq.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
So...if old friends are contacting you, I'm assuming you DO use your real names and a few facts to 'dredge up memories?'
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
You can change your name if you want to (I do for fun sometimes).
You can also have Facebook remember your real name so if someone does a search
they can still find you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Facebook, Myspace, Reunion.com. etc. What's the scoop? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL