We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Contacting Silly Billy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 17:33, magicbern wrote:
If you are not, then perhaps you can find dealers who can satisfy your desire to be at your beck and call.

I believe this is what running a business is. I AM at the beck and call of my customers. I've had people phone me at 7.30 in the morning and at 10.30 at night. I respond with a smile and answer their questions as courteously as I can. I know this is a rather trite cliche (but also very true): THE CUSTOMER IS KING.

Mark
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 18:47, keeblem wrote:
I believe this is what running a business is. I AM at the beck and call of my customers. I've had people phone me at 7.30 in the morning and at 10.30 at night. I respond with a smile and answer their questions as courteously as I can. I know this is a rather trite cliche (but also very true): THE CUSTOMER IS KING.

Mark

While that is one perspective, it isn't the only one.

Some people (especially those who are self-employed) learn to "turn off" their business at times, and let it go to voice mail. Call them back later on, or tomorrow. You don't have to answer that business call while in a restaurant or in a movie, or when spending some quality time with loved ones. Sometimes it's ok to read and respond to that email tomorrow (also, checking too often is actually a time waster, and inefficient use of your time).

Healthy lives and relationships need some down time, some private time, and also some family time. Also, it is respectful to give your full attention to others when you are with them. We don't all have to be workaholics, just because others *choose* to be.

People who work at a "normal job" aren't expected to dedicate 80+ hours a week to it, unless that is a clear agreement between the employee and employer. I have made no agreements with my customers to be at their beck and call 80 hours a week, or more.

Sometimes, it's ok to "close the store." After all, regular businesses, which are also successful, do that.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I agree with you Donald. I am not available to speak to customers 24/7. We ALL need down time. I JUST got back from going out to eat with my wife. I do not take calls at that time. If I get a call after 9:00 at night, I usually let the answering machine pick up. But I will get back to them first thing tomorrow . . . hence: in a timely fashion.

Magicbern: I do NOT love an argument. In fact I dislike conflict. But YOU started it with the "Moaners and Groaners" comment, and NOW look who's Moaning and Groaning. If you don't want a conflict, then don't start one.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Again, more sweeping generalizations.

I don't fit into the "same moaners and complainers" category. I checked...I haven't made a negative comment about any supplier. But then again, I've never had a bad communications problem from a supplier when a delay occurred.

I spent a decade in retail and outside sales. Way back then, customer service was paramount. That was before the "self serve" mentality of most retailers, which continues even though poll after poll indicates the majority are extremely dissatisfied with the level of customer service. But this thread has been so perverted by some as to suggest that no empathy is present to those suppliers who have legitimate delays in their fulfillment processes. Nothing in the original posts indicates this. It is simply a matter of communication.

No one is suggesting a five or six day wait without response is not acceptable. However, it is very easy to provide an auto response to any incoming emails, or to include a brief explanation of your absence on your voicemail, regarding your current "out of office" status. Jeeeeeeseee! You'd we were talking about access to the president!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
We don't really know what Wayne specifically meant when he said he was "having a hard time getting a response from Silly Billy by email".

We don't have the facts of the situation. We have no idea if he tried once, or several times. We have no idea if he was polite, or rude. We have no idea if he waited 24 hours or 3 days or 7 days or 14 days for a reply. We have no idea if he tried the phone as well as email. We don't know if emails were sent, but lost, going either way.

And really, that is none of our business. It's between him and Silly Billy.

As I see it, we really can't offer any informed opinions about this specific situation without the facts. It's just guesswork otherwise. We might very well be making a mountain out of a molehill.

- Donald

P.S. Wayne even admitted that it's unusual for Silly Billy not to respond to an email.

Quote:
Wayne Brockway (Posted: Feb 17, 2009 3:57pm): My concern is and was that everythings well and it's not like him not to respond. I ordered from him just two weeks ago and got the product that again is not my concern, just if all is well!!!
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 01:12, Donald Dunphy wrote:
As I see it, we really can't offer any informed opinions about this specific situation without the facts.

I think we've all said what we wanted to say. I think it's time for a group hug! Smile

Mark
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Ok I'm Hugging lol
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7454 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Peace and hugs! Smile

- Donald
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Anyone know the words to "Kumbaya?"
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Good one Steve. I LOVE that song!
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Quite Right Donald.
Its none of our business. and I'm up for a group hug.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Iv ordered in sep and still not got these. I asked for a refund but no response for months. of course to some that's ok cause he is "busy"....
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 00:07, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Iv ordered in sep and still not got these. I asked for a refund but no response for months. of course to some that's ok cause he is "busy"....

I would believe I would have an issue if I ordered something in Sept and I have not received the product or a refund by now. There MUST be more to it than that. I believe there are other ways to handle it besides on a public forum but I'd like to hear more if you're willing to share.

There are a variety of reasons this could happen to someone and I don't want to assume anything.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

David just sent me a email. he told me he thought he refunded me, and according to pay pal records never happened. the only reason I put on a public forums is because they are still listed for sale on his site and that bothers me if he never got the product. hopefully will know more soon when David gets back to me.
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
[quote]On 2009-05-07 02:03, muzicman wrote:
Quote:
I believe there are other ways to handle it besides on a public forum but I'd like to hear more if you're willing to share.

I would say this is precisely what a public forum is for. As long as it's done in a factual and resonable manner.

Mark
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of stempleton
[quote]On 2009-05-07 19:01, keeblem wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-05-07 02:03, muzicman wrote:
Quote:
I believe there are other ways to handle it besides on a public forum but I'd like to hear more if you're willing to share.

I would say this is precisely what a public forum is for. As long as it's done in a factual and resonable manner.

Mark

I agree. I've had it with lousy customer service. When it can't be worked out after good faith attempts, take it to the masses. And I think it's a great service to those who can be saved from similar experiences.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Refund recieved =)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Contacting Silly Billy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL