The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Magpie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
It would be difficult to smuggle anything in an Asylum.
Maybe crayons. But not in the suicide wing. They turn over your mattress several times a day and there is no place else to hide things. Even the toilet has a lock box over the back. Cameras too. No I don't want to talk about it.
Crayons. If you are going for realism.
If it's surrealism you want then I can't beat the pocket watch idea. But only if it was with a pale grey top hat.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 11:19, critter wrote:
Maybe crayons. But not in the suicide wing. They turn over your mattress several times a day and there is no place else to hide things. Even the toilet has a lock box over the back. Cameras too. No I don't want to talk about it.
If it's surrealism you want then I can't beat the pocket watch idea. But only if it was with a pale grey top hat.

This Asylum is 1930 Victorian England so I think the rules would have been a little lapse.

The Magpie grew up on the streets of London, she was taught by one of the greatest pickpockets and swindlers of her time, but it soon became an obsession she couldn't control.

Like I said the stuff was concealed in a cavity inside her wall, she had painstakingly scratched out all the concrete from around the brick... It had remained un-noticed for decades...

But yes I am going for realism.
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Silvertongue, I think the entire premise for this routine is marvelous !
You have brought to light yet another character I had never heard about before

thankyou for opening my eyes and mind to her.

Sincerely,

Kotah
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Thank you Kotah... It is through you my friend.

Mags also thanks you.

She is a character in my new show 'Silent Voices' but more on that soon...
-Shantideva

BillyTheSquid
View Profile
Veteran user
My bamboo hut's supported on
331 Posts

Profile of BillyTheSquid
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 12:49, Silvertongue wrote:
This Asylum is 1930 Victorian England so I think the rules would have been a little lapse.

Not sure if this is a faux par Silvertongue, but 1930's isn't Victorian England. Colney Hatch was built around 1850 which was VE however.

BTW - did you ever manage to get one of those brochures of the 6th phase of flat conversion for the Hatch?

Cheers,
Matt
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I know this is the Bizarre forum but I'm thinking a few objects that you could maybe use in routines.

Key (Haunted?)
A Finger Ring.
A chain (Fast & Loose?)
A pill box. (Okito Box?)

I can see a service bell being used to call lounging patient to dinner or something.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
If you didn't understand why my first example was Arkham Asylum...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magpie_(comics)
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I never did get the brochure no. I still need to and I placed Victorian in the wrong context. But remnants from that era... yeah.

Curator you rule, you all do...

Whats in the bundle Maggie Pye
What caused that twinkle in your birdlike eye?
For it is sure their past and future you could see.
and that one day that bundle would be waiting there for me.
-Shantideva

Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
How cool would it be though given Maggie's profession in life, to empty the contents out of the bundle, do the show then at the end open the bundle to put the objects away and see that the Magpie's been upto her old tricks again and the bundle is full of watches and wallets, rings and stuff she's pilfered off the audience during the show.

Alas 'Silent Voices' is not about Maggie, although she would have you believe otherwise.. and I also have a fear some people may be leaving the show early due to fear...thus maybe leaving their stuff behind.

Just spreading my imagination, ignore me...
-Shantideva

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I don't know about England. But our Mental Hospital here in those days had a room full of bathtubs for "cold water therapy" so she could have a sponge or something bath-y.
Also, rollerskates. There was a hallway in the staff dormitory that they used to rollerskate in here.
It also had it's own cemetary, and the waters of the lake it was on were believed to be medicinal by the Spokane Indians of the area, so they took the residents out there to swim. They also had a baseball team.
I have a lot of notes on the history of the place, and some really creepy stuff.
I will look through them and put more down here.

Quote:
On 2009-02-19 12:49, Silvertongue wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-19 11:19, critter wrote:

The Magpie grew up on the streets of London, she was taught by one of the greatest pickpockets and swindlers of her time, but it soon became an obsession she couldn't control.

Like I said the stuff was concealed in a cavity inside her wall, she had painstakingly scratched out all the concrete from around the brick... It had remained un-noticed for decades...

But yes I am going for realism.
~Will Rogers
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
What if she stole objects from the medical team and/or an object for an inmate that should never be lost...
Realism doesn't mean that fantastic should be absent.
You may also mix both concepts: the objects from Alice in Wonderland in an asylum paraphernalia look.
Hat of a psychiatrist with a label 10 shillings/6 pence inside, medecine bottles for growing hair products, and so on...
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
http://www.prestonchild.com/books/cabinet/

the remains of thirty-six people murdered and gruesomely dismembered over 130 years ago by an unknown serial killer.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
I read the book and loved it. I'm a fan of Preston and Child since "the Relic".
lejon
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of lejon
An this one is THE best one...
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
668 Posts

Profile of magus
Ooo, and restraints, got to be restraints.
Handcuffs, straightjackets, leather cuffs with straps and buckles, as if yaken off of a chair.
Imagine a seance with this theme, with all the chairs with wrist restraints on them...
There would be books, inmates and staff would do some reading, it would account for a wide variety of titles.
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2009-02-17 15:49, The Curator wrote:
The "Do you believe in Real Magick" thread? Smile

So that's where that went!!! lol
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
MAgus, you are brilliant. Sick and twisted too <g>. A seance in which participants are strapped to their chairs with wrist cuffs! What better way to insure only the spirits are controlling certain manifistations.

I think your concept is new and ingenious.

KOtah
Sir
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Sir
The brick is removed from the wall and to the disturbing bewilderment of the worker the contents is revealed:

-2 whittled charcoal pencils
-1 pocket knife (with name inscribed, as if given as a gift)
-The wallet of the same person the knife was stolen from (one of the asylum staff)
-A straight jacket with a frighteningly detailed map of the asylum drawn in charcoal on its back like a map.
-An entire ring of skeleton keys to the rooms of the asylum
-A half used candle
-A leather bag of money and jewelry

I get the impression that she is not insane in an "irrational" sense. She is insane in the sense that she MUST steal. She is perfectly fine residing in her cell, as long as she can manufacture the means to continue thievery. It's like her opium.
"By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2009-02-21 12:50, Sir wrote:

I get the impression that she is not insane in an "irrational" sense. She is insane in the sense that she MUST steal. She is perfectly fine residing in her cell, as long as she can manufacture the means to continue thievery. It's like her opium.

No her 'opiate' comes from the handling of the objects. She had the power of psychometry and didn't understand it. An Orphan, brought up on the streets of Victorian London, the unwanted daughter of a prostitute, she was taken under the wing of a Master pickpocket, lock picker and all around general Scam artist. Like Oliver Twist she was used for her baby faced looks - begging - and her small stature - burglary -

Around age 8 or so her clairvoyant power of psychometry started to manifest and her obsession came from wanting to understand what was happening to her. Being poor and living on the street, objects of psychometric value were hard to come by so her only means was to steal or borrow as she calls it. But just like a Magpie, certain objects caught Maggie's eye and this is what caused her eventual incarceration in the Hatch.

I like the idea of the ring of skeleton keys and also the map... Thanks.

Funnily enough though my Sister went garage sailin this morning and brought me 3 books one of which is 'Cabinet of Curiosities' Wierd!!!
-Shantideva

critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
There are a lot of interesting old medical things out there. Pill bottles and such.
Something else they used to have on the campus of our Mental Hospital was a primate center. They experimanted on monkeys there.
Did you know that the man who invented the lobotomy recieved a Nobel prize for it?

Quote:
On 2009-02-20 13:58, The Curator wrote:
What if she stole objects from the medical team and/or an object for an inmate that should never be lost...
Realism doesn't mean that fantastic should be absent.
You may also mix both concepts: the objects from Alice in Wonderland in an asylum paraphernalia look.
Hat of a psychiatrist with a label 10 shillings/6 pence inside, medecine bottles for growing hair products, and so on...
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Magpie (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL