The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AM/PM by Jonathan Price and Alex Pandrea (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi everyone. You might recall some postings in the past about AM/PM, a new release from Jonathan Price and Alex Pandrea.

Originally, AM/PM was going to be a 2-disc set with 16 tricks and some bonus sleights.

At the very end of production, we regrouped, and decided to take only the best of the best material from both discs, and combine it into a single-disc release. The result is 10 killer effects designed with real-world venues in mind, all packed onto one DVD.

The effects on AM/PM are as follows:

1. Local
An empty matchbox becomes full in your spectator's hands. They can examine and keep the box and matches!

2. Between the Backpalms
A spectator's selected card vanishes from the deck and instantly reappears sandwiched between the magician's and spectator's previously empty hands.

3. 4OUR
A quick, visual, and surprising production of four cards, using a new two-card flourish.

4. The Coin Mint
A borrowed, signed quarter is transformed into a Listerine strip. The quarter is then found inside the Listerine pack!

5. Papermate
A multi-phase pen routine with a kicker ending that they'll never see coming!

6. AKT I
An instant transposition of two four-of-a-kinds.

7. The Domino Effect
A unique take on the "Copper/Silver" plot. A pink sugar packet and a white sugar packet magically switch places between the magician's hand and a spectator's hand.

8. Cash Back
After the magician fails to find a selected card, he puts his money on the line in order to prevail.

9. Arson
A lighter vanishes into the deck to reveal a card, only to pop back out of the card again.

10. Under and Out
A selected card vanishes from under the spectator's hand under truly impossible conditions.

You can view the preview video for AM/PM here: http://www.vimeo.com/3291635

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I imagine it was not an easy decision on what effects to keep when going to the one disk.

Standards have been raised on DVD's and I applaud you for wanting to give the community the best of the best!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks Chris. It was indeed a tough decision, as all of the original effects were all very strong. We think that people will really like this version though, as it's packed to the gills with great workers.

Total runtime on the DVD is about 2 hours and 40 minutes!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Kevin, thanks for the news. When will this come out? Any dates on pre-orders?
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
2 hours and 40 minutes???? I'd have made that into 3 DVD's!

It sounds wonderful!

Chris

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
We are accepting preorders now, and expect to ship on March 10th. Please visit the link in my signature for more info!

Thanks for your interest!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've had some PMs asking about the difficulty level of this material. I'd say it's intermediate to advanced. There's nothing terribly difficult or knuckle busting, but I wouldn't recommend it for an absolute beginner.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The trailer shows the effects being performed for real folks.

http://newyorkmagicproject.com/products/ampm.htm

solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Here's a basic review of AM/PM. I'm not going into all the effects, but just the ones that really caught my eye. Don't get me wrong, all the routines they teach are awesome and worthy of epic win, but these are the ones that definitely take the cake.

Local - This has got to be my favorite effect on the DVD. I met Alex a couple years ago during my spring break trip to NYC and he's been a good friend of mine ever since. I knew he was good, but I knew that he was also holding out on me. This had to be one of them. Thus I also knew that Alex was (and still is) a complete *** for holding this back (just kidding Alex...kind of...LOL). The gimmick is deceiving and the method behind the routine is killer. He doesn't only teach the basic appearing matches, but he teaches other variations such as vanishing matches and card to matchbox, all of which use the same gimmick that you have to make.

Papermate - Another goodie from Alex. It has some elements from the original Re-capped, and it has the elements that Alex added in which makes the routine totally kick ass. I've seen him perform this routine before minus the kicker ending. I was at the bar with Alex and Magick when they came up with the original idea for the ending, which I personally would've thought was better, but this one has a truly astonishing effect on laymen when the situation is right (when you watch the DVD, you'll see what I mean). Yes the kicker ending is situational, but you'll be in that situation everyday guaranteed.

AKT 1 - First of all, I've never met Jonathan Price. But based off this effect alone, I already know that he's awesome at what he does. It's not all that difficult, but it does take some practice. I would compare the difficulty of this effect to Punk'd by Kevin Ho.

Cash Back - This was by far my favorite effect from Jonathan. Watching the performance alone almost made me crap myself because of how visual this trick is. I haven't watched the explanation for this yet, but this is something that will definitely make its way into my normal repertoire.

Between the Backpalms - this is one of the more advanced routines that also caught my eye. It's currently the one I'm practicing fulltime because of how strong the effect is. It's one of the more advanced routines both in sleights and presentation, but it'll be more than worth all the practice once anyone gets it down. Definitely not a beginner's routine.

As far as the DVD in general, all the performances are done for a live audience. You pretty much see two performances per trick. One is the full routine from beginning to end and the next clip pretty much takes place right at the climax, which I thought was nice rather than showing a routine a billion times like on the E DVDs.

In regards with production, I thought the video was put together quite nicely. DVD menu is easy to navigate through and the explanations are very thorough. In regards to the bloopers, unfortunately I could not view them as Kevin from NYMP sent me the first official bootleg copy of AM/PM which was burnt directly from the master copy. With it being the first official bootleg, going to the bloopers part caused the disc to vibrate heavily, thus crashing my DVD program on my macbook. Don't worry about the copies that you all have (or will) pre-ordered. I'm sure that it won't be a problem. Besides, this video is about the tricks, not the bloopers.

Overall, I can give this my highest recommendation. Not only because Kevin and Alex are my friends (though that is a small part of it), but because all the material in this video is very workable and the DVD has something for everyone.

-Sean
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi Sean, thanks for posting your thoughts, I appreciate it, and am glad you're enjoying the material on AM/PM.

As a reassurance regarding the vibrating, as Sean said, he got a home-made pre-release copy. I just received some samples from the replicator today, and have tested them, and they work flawlessly, so have no fears regarding that issue. I've also tested several other home made discs, and so far Sean's seems to be the only one exhibiting that problem.

Keep those preorders coming!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Yeah, thanks Kevin. Maybe I'll use the vibrating feature for other activities...

...LOL
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hey now!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 21:05, solareflipz wrote:
Here's a basic review of AM/PM. I'm not going into all the effects, but just the ones that really caught my eye. Don't get me wrong, all the routines they teach are awesome and worthy of epic win, but these are the ones that definitely take the cake.

Local - This has got to be my favorite effect on the DVD. I met Alex a couple years ago during my spring break trip to NYC and he's been a good friend of mine ever since. I knew he was good, but I knew that he was also holding out on me. This had to be one of them. Thus I also knew that Alex was (and still is) a complete *** for holding this back (just kidding Alex...kind of...LOL). The gimmick is deceiving and the method behind the routine is killer. He doesn't only teach the basic appearing matches, but he teaches other variations such as vanishing matches and card to matchbox, all of which use the same gimmick that you have to make.

Papermate - Another goodie from Alex. It has some elements from the original Re-capped, and it has the elements that Alex added in which makes the routine totally kick ass. I've seen him perform this routine before minus the kicker ending. I was at the bar with Alex and Magick when they came up with the original idea for the ending, which I personally would've thought was better, but this one has a truly astonishing effect on laymen when the situation is right (when you watch the DVD, you'll see what I mean). Yes the kicker ending is situational, but you'll be in that situation everyday guaranteed.

AKT 1 - First of all, I've never met Jonathan Price. But based off this effect alone, I already know that he's awesome at what he does. It's not all that difficult, but it does take some practice. I would compare the difficulty of this effect to Punk'd by Kevin Ho.

Cash Back - This was by far my favorite effect from Jonathan. Watching the performance alone almost made me crap myself because of how visual this trick is. I haven't watched the explanation for this yet, but this is something that will definitely make its way into my normal repertoire.

Between the Backpalms - this is one of the more advanced routines that also caught my eye. It's currently the one I'm practicing fulltime because of how strong the effect is. It's one of the more advanced routines both in sleights and presentation, but it'll be more than worth all the practice once anyone gets it down. Definitely not a beginner's routine.

As far as the DVD in general, all the performances are done for a live audience. You pretty much see two performances per trick. One is the full routine from beginning to end and the next clip pretty much takes place right at the climax, which I thought was nice rather than showing a routine a billion times like on the E DVDs.

In regards with production, I thought the video was put together quite nicely. DVD menu is easy to navigate through and the explanations are very thorough. In regards to the bloopers, unfortunately I could not view them as Kevin from NYMP sent me the first official bootleg copy of AM/PM which was burnt directly from the master copy. With it being the first official bootleg, going to the bloopers part caused the disc to vibrate heavily, thus crashing my DVD program on my macbook. Don't worry about the copies that you all have (or will) pre-ordered. I'm sure that it won't be a problem. Besides, this video is about the tricks, not the bloopers.

Overall, I can give this my highest recommendation. Not only because Kevin and Alex are my friends (though that is a small part of it), but because all the material in this video is very workable and the DVD has something for everyone.

-Sean

Sean! Thanks for your thoughts! Im glad you liked it. Local is definitely one of my favorite effects on the dvd, and one that I bring out with me a lot. I teach 3 variations of the "appearing matches" (ex: matches to selected card, matches to burnt matches, etc.) on the DVD but guess what sean? I might be "holding back" some more variations hehe Smile) Let me know how it goes when you try it out for people.

Talk soon
Alex^
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I got my review copy today. I will review it later.
Phone Phreak is here!
Watch the Trailer!
www.JeffPrace.com
Catch me on Instagram
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi everyone. I just wanted to pop in and let people know of a slight change to the preorder promos.

Jon and Alex decided that they wanted to extend the autographed copies to everyone who preorders, not just the first 25.

So now, all preorders will be signed by Alex and Jon, and receive free shipping anywhere in the world. 10 random preorders will receive a free copy of our Got a Light DVD, starring Matt Wayne.

We expect to begin shipping in about a week, so there is still time to preorder. Once the DVDs are in-stock, all preorder promos will end, and our shipping rates will go back to normal.

Thanks to all of those who have preordered so far!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
solareflipz
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Fl
307 Posts

Profile of solareflipz
Tonight I put Cash Back on a test run in a club during my friend's birthday. It was pretty dark and the music was loud so I didn't really get to say much, but when I performed it, my friend completely understood everything that was happening (despite all the drinks) and he gave an amazing reaction. I didn't get to test run the other effects tonight, but all I gotta say is that you don't relaly need to say anything for the magic to happen.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1614 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Over the weekend I checked out a preview copy of the New York Magic Project’s newest release, "AM/PM," which Kevin Reylek was kind enough to give to me, and here are my thoughts about it.

"AM/PM" is a collection of ten tricks and routines by Alex Pandrea and Jonathan Price, two young guys from the NYC scene. Price has a kind of fast-talking style, while Pandrea is slightly (just slightly) more of a “let the magic happen” kind of performer. Both have great chops. There are five routines from each, and the disk consists of live performances shot handheld on the street or inside bars, restaurants and nightclubs; studio-shot explanations and intros; and bloopers. There’s a refreshing feel to the performance footage with reactions that seem authentic and sincere. (In other words, while people are impressed, puzzled and, usually in the bars, screaming and shouting, you also won’t see exaggerated over-reactions with guys turning and running crazily up escalators in Las Vegas shopping plazas like some product demos we all know and love). The performance footage also captures some odd moments that I liked because they felt like encounters in the real world. In one performance, a woman coming back from shopping walks into the scene and then participates in the trick; in another performance, some guy stands in frame texting to his friend until about half-way through the trick when he starts to look at what’s going on.

When it comes to the explanations, they are shot in the studio with most of the coverage from a front-on, medium shot with punch-ins to a tighter shot angled from the side and occasional close-up inserts. Explanation segments clock out usually from 10 to 15 minutes for a total DVD run time of 2 hours and 40 minutes, and the teaching is pretty thorough. Some of the nightclub footage is a little dark, but generally the sound and picture are fine.

So what about the tricks? I really liked Pandrea’s “The Domino Effect,” which is, essentially, Dusheck’s Copper/Silver Transpo/Digital Dissolve done with a sugar packet and a Sweet and Lo packet. You all know the plot, and this version has the punch of a visual change that’s accomplished with completely ordinary items found in any restaurant or kitchen. There’s a simple, home-made gaff involved, and the routine is pretty easy and, to my mind, a lot more natural than pulling out your “dad’s old English penny.” Also great is Price’s “Cash Back,” a magician-in-trouble trick in which, at the end, the bill used to pay out on the bet the magi just lost visually turns into the selected card. Again, this is a piece of unexpected eye candy. “Papermate” is Pandrea's pen routine, loosely inspired by Greg Wilson’s “Recap” even though it only shares a couple of phases with it. The pen continually vanishes, reappears, shrinks, vanishes leaving the cap, and then there’s a fantastic kicker ending with is both startling and completely logical. I’m surprised I haven’t seen this idea before. In Price’s “Coin Mint,” a signed coin visibly changes to one of those sticky, ultra-thin strips from a Listerine packet… and then the coin is found inside the little plastic Listerine packet that’s been lying on the table. Here, there’s a nicely executed coin vanish/switch and the cleverness of using the Listerine packet in a coin transpo effect. What’s great is the contrast between the solid coin and the completely insubstantial, about-to-dissolve object it turns into. “Arson” is a good Pandrea routine in which a signed card is found with burn marks in the deck and then the mark vanishes when the previously lit lighter is popped out of the card. There’s a marketed trick out there now, “Squashed,” that this routine is similar to but, to my mind, “Arson” is better because the lighter/burn combination just seems much more natural, organic, and non-prop-y. “Under and Out” is Price’s good, simple card vanish from under a deck held by the spectator (the card can come back in many different ways, and a simple gaff is involved), and “Between the Backpalms” is his selected-card-appears-between-magicians-and-spectator’s hands; the title here says it all. To finish off what I liked best, Pandrea's “Local” is another simple piece of home-made gaffing that allows one to show a matchbox empty (or full) and then to cleanly open it again and show matches (or no matches), a card, etc. And, the box can then be handed out. The variations that are taught involving cards, burned matches, etc. are great.

There are only a couple of things on this disk that I was less into. I wasn’t wild about “4our,” a kind of top-shot meets “Fantasy Aces” four-ace production, maybe because I’m not much a top-shot/”Simple Switcher.” Similarly, “AKT1” is a two-phase four-to-four transpo that didn’t feel as cleverly thought out as other stuff on the disk.

Skill level required for these effects is, I’d say, intermediate. There’s some easy stuff, like “The Domino Effect,” but other tricks require card controls, palming, a top change and, yes, for that one trick, a back palm.

Overall, I’d say this is a solid collection of punchy, surprising tricks designed with real audiences in mind. There’s nothing here that will only look good when it’s shot from your webcam and posted on YouTube. There's nothing outlandishly out-of-the-box when it comes to method, just solid routining, clever twists on classic plots, and time-tested principles of sleight-of-hand and misdirection. And while I hate the oft-used “worth the price of the disk” line that is so casually thrown around here, I will say that I’ve been meaning for some time to pick up “Digital Dissolve” because I love the visual change, but I so much prefer everyday objects (especially ones that can used in a Michael Weber-style “impromptu” manner) that I’m tempted to just make up “Domino Effect” instead.

Finally, I’ll note that the New York Magic Project is a new company that is essentially the indie-film producer to the “studios” that are L&L, T11 and Ellusionist. The company’s last release was “Got a Light,” a one-trick disk with a studio-shot performance. “AM/PM” is much longer and mixes studio and street footage and, on a production level, is simply a bigger project. I think it’s important to support the independent producers in our midst, so if the descriptions of these effects appeal to you, I hope you consider picking this one up.
alex_pandrea
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of alex_pandrea
Thanks for the great post bugjack!Im glad you liked the material. Can't wait to here more when you test out the effects.

Alex^
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Local, I'm sensing where you came up with the name for it Alex... 5 finger discounted matchboxes from a bar somewhere... ha ha ha.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2119 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Hi Bugjack! Thanks for posting such a thorough review! I'm very glad you liked the DVD. And thanks for encouraging people to support "the little guy"!

Kissdadookie - Another NYer, I presume? And heck, I think that calling the effect Local is great advertisement for them! It more than makes up for the amount of matchboxes that have "mysteriously vanished" from their counter tops...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » AM/PM by Jonathan Price and Alex Pandrea (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL