The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Manipulation Act you have ever Seen (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
I am shocked and in a way sad that not one peraon mentioned the o ly two tine lions head winner james dimmare. His dove act ia the best I've ever seen period. The work and creativity in it is unmatched. Also which not many oeople have aeen is his salt pour and new manip act. His alt pour is amazing and as cloae to real magic with salt that I have seen. The dove act as made him many awards over the years and on top of that he was close friends with channing.
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
I'm curious if the responses would be changed at all had the post been titled "most entertaining manipulation act"? While we all ogle at intense manipulators, I often wonder what a layperson's reaction would be to a number of the acts named. No disrespect to the performers of course...as in any art, the lay people don't often appreciate the "greats" within the community because of a lack of understanding (not everybody would shell out the cash for a Picasso!) Any thoughts on most entertaining manip acts for the general public?
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Dimmare is for sure one of them...also lance and johnny and pam....layman love all 3 of these acts. I can say moat layman don't get a lot of the people mentioned in thia thread as I've seen some of them for lay audiences.

I think magicians like to put acts in high regards for the wrong reasons. Most don't look at theater and entertainment. In a lot of cases they focus on the magic and any pro will tell you that is a very small part of being a magician.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22658 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Well, James Dimmare would have to win as the most entertaining manipulation act. He moves on stage like a Fred Astire, performs like Channing Pollack and entertains his audiences with unique surprising and creative magic effects. He is hard to beat by any standard.

Second would be Joseph Gabriel, he is very different then Dimmare, but just as entertaining. Dimmare has created a number of different acts touching on many different fields of manipulation magic and illusions.

Retired Lance Buton would be included, but he did not change his act much over the years to my knowledge.
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
He didn t hasve to , his act is over the top .
sickmagic
View Profile
Special user
528 Posts

Profile of sickmagic
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 03:29, dahih beik wrote:

Who's act is over the top? Didn't have to.what? I'm confused by your post. Lol
Nak
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Nak
All great acts, I'd have to put Dan Sperry's name in the hat now as well. I'm quite impressed by the range of audience members he reaches with his persona...he always has great approaches to whatever he does.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 03:39, sickmagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2011-09-12 03:29, dahih beik wrote:

Who's act is over the top? Didn't have to.what? I'm confused by your post. Lol

I'm certain that his post is in reference to Lance Burton's act not having changed much. I would agree, why change a good thing. Kind of like the Volkswagon Beetles and the Jeep Wranglers eh?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1839 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I agree with Israel that Lance Burton's act is a classic that doesn't really need changing... But Lance himself has directed the evolution of his act beyond what it was when it started. His IBM Gold Medal-winning act with the Zombie finale was classic. When he decided to go for the gold at FISM, though, he made some changes. The traditional zombie was replaced by the bird-cage zombie, for instance. Eventually the zombie birdcage version was replaced by a classic Thurston-like floating bird-cage. Then he added the Duel with Mr. Death and the levitation. Channing Pollock had a classic dove/card act, but also explored illusions like the double twin-sawing.

In the days before television, magicians could get by with one basic act or show because by the time they went from the East Coast to the West Coast with their show, the folks on the East Coast were ready to see the classic show that they remembered fondly. But the advent of television meant that the audiences that used to take months to cover are now covered in a single evening.

I think, though, that audiences also enjoy "golden oldies" in magic the way they do "golden oldies" in music. I think sometimes, though, the performers get tired of the same old/same old--as in the classic story of Ricky Nelson that became the song "Garden Party" that ends with the line: "You can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself."

Keep in mind, too, that Thurston started out doing a card manipulation act with some classics like the Rising Cards... and when he became an illusionist, still kept a "cameo" spot for the card manipulations.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22658 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
It seems people chose to read what they want in a posting. I never said Lance Burton should change his original act. I said he never changed his much over the years. Meaning create additional acts to his one version.

James Dimmare has a Dove act, a cane act, and other acts stretching his material and offerings much farther then any other performer in magic. He does all this to perfection.

So as the most inventive and creative magician with very unique acts, I vote for James Dimmare. His Huge Shrinking and Vanishing Bird Cage is the most wonderful piece of magic in the world. It is better then a floating bird cage IMHO. A huge cage at least 2' by 18" (sorry I don't know the exact measurments) is shrunk in his hands under a cloth to 3"x3" and then visually vanished. And I love the feature that the huge cage is actuall lifted up off the cart for all to see it is separate. What a wonderful illusion.

Here enjoy!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G4Qbwj9vFc
billappleton
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Gatos, California
1154 Posts

Profile of billappleton
Oh man I wanna be that guy.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Not the best I've seen of all time, but the best I have seen in a while http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaOX-GMwhqs&feature=related Charlie Frye show's you how to do manipulation to music properly. Master mime, juggler, and comedian, this guy knows how to entertain.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Fred kaps 3x fism winner
richard ross 2x fism winner
pierre brahma 2x fism winner
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Best Manipulation Act you have ever Seen (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL