The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Himalayan Hoppers still around? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Ride safety issues I'm certain have become more restrictive...however.

I'm so curious about this and wonder if anyone else has a story to share,

Twenty Years ago or so, Myrtle Beach South Carolina...I had an outside stage Magic show under the Swamp Fox Roller Coaster for two seasons at the Grand Strand Amusement Park.

I learned to "Himalayan Hop" there.

I could juggle 3 balls at middle speed.
I stayed "safely" on the running boards and at full speed would wedge one foot securely against the inside wall of the seat and lean. It was a sensation that I still miss to this day.

At that time...there was an entire subculture of these "Himalayan Hoppers"...men and women who could jump onto the running boards of the Himalayan ride without using their hands and basically surf the ride while performing stunts. It was remarkable to watch...I cannot stress that enough. It was approaching theater. Smile

Visiting out-of-town Hoppers would talk of the various Himalayans they had hopped, weather and temperature influences upon the ride speeds and their various accidents.

There were entire choreographed routines involving multiple "hoppers" with Rock music blasting and commentary from the DJ/Ride Boss. Boasting and challenges of "Hopping" the ride at full speeds were met with applause by not only the riders but by the crowds drawn to watch this high speed circular mirrorball ballet.

Both seasons an infamous fellow known only as "Smokey" would visit the park. He would arrive unannounced and unexpected. He would draw huge crowds of spectators as he balanced standing on the backs of the seats themselves...while seemingly ducking scenery supports on the back upward slope of the circle.

Hopping sent me to the emergency room only once. Being young and stupid I hopped the ride again later the same night with stitches in my leg...me the Magician trying to save face among the other real Hoppers and ride bosses. It worked.

It was an insane thing.
It was insanely beautiful.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There are some hoppers out in Coney Island.
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
As you probably already know, sadly, the Grand Strand park shut down a couple years ago. Now it's just a big, empty lot.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
I read Grand Strand became "Family Kingdom" after Hurricane Hugo...and I assumed the Swamp Fox remained.

The Swamp Fox is a great coaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPREQNVL2ok
Stephon
View Profile
Special user
Maryland, USA
911 Posts

Profile of Stephon
I may be mistaken; Family Kingdom is still there. I thought Grand Strand was the park that used to be at Ocean and 9th, across from Ripley's.
~Les S. Moore, The Dapper Dipper
Swami Yomahmi and Cheeky Monkey Sideshow

"Comedy is a man in trouble." ~Bill Irwin
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
For Coaster fans...I'm giving away a FREE Coaster! http://SpookyBook.com
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
You mean it? I've been wondering how I can put my beer down so the condensation doesn't leave a ring on my coffee table.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Spoiler alert!

You poop.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Sorry, I sharted.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Some old Scrapbook images

The "Hopping" was required to land on the running board at the higher speeds.

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Himalayan Hoppers still around? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL