The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Very, very disappointed.
The bands are tacky to the touch, even after a using a few times.
Not ideal thickness bands or stretch for C M H.
Within 10 mins. of trying, two of my bands had snapped.
I was really looking forward to this, as C M H is one of my Wife's favorite effects but this does not cut the mustard.
As most Café members will know, I very rarely give a negative review of someone's effort but this is a great idea done on the cheap...a big mistake !!

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Folks, Paul Harris has been kept informed about the posts on the Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands and wanted to comment on the feedback by Café members. Here's an e-mail I received from Paul:

"Greetings O joyous ones.. I've been kept posted on the feedback to the new SLR linking bands and want to be as helpful as I can here within the parameters of my carefully developed general uselessness. First off I completely respect everyone's opinion's and esthetics here. And I know that despite how well something may play in the real world that if something doesn't look or feel right to the performer that it can impact how one feels about an effect or prop. The modest goal was to develop a set of linked bands that would pass a spectator's examination and be perceived as a normal set of bands. And it had to be at a price that you'd feel comfortable handing out as a souvenir after each performance.

To keep the price in this range we had to make a few compromises that have nothing to do with the impact of the effect on a lay audience. So here are the rubber-like compromises that you can embrace or reject at your whim: Their are two tiny seams in each linked band. The same tiny seams are on the singles. So all the bands match. Out of a hundred performances you may have one or two specs notice the tiny seams. On the rare occasion that this happens simply say "that's the spot where the bands went through each other"..and all is well. It's perceived by the spectators as part of the magic. Normal people have no clue as to what tiny imperfections a normal band should or should not have.

If you explore beyond the #19 golds and buy a variety pack of cheap bands you'll find all sorts of little imperfections in the bands...which is somewhat reflective of my own imperfections..but enough about me. The bands come powdered like a baby's butt. If you rub the set of linked bands between your palms to evenly spread the powder out their should be no stickiness. If you handle one set of bands a lot the stickiness may come back. But the point here is not to handle the same bands over and over..it's to perform the effect once then hand them out as souvenirs. These bands are made out of special non-rubber stuff. They can do almost everything normal bands can do..but their are a few restrictions.

You cannot use the same linked set over and over. It's the nature of the materials used to make the bands. We made them as strong as possible given the parameters of the process. Repeated stretching will break the bands. These are meant to be given away after each performance. You can perform with the same linked set three or four times but sooner or later they will break. The instructions mention that you should make up a practice set of bands out of normal rubber bands to avoid breaking one of the links. This is really the way to go to protect your SLR bands..so they can be saved for your live performances.

The bands are a little bit thicker than the # 19 bands. This was required to make the bands as strong as possible and to keep the seams as tiny as possible. Plenty of normal bands come in this thickness,but they will handle a little differently than the bands that you are used to. At one time we were experimenting with thinner bands..and the one complaint we had from specs after interviewing them was that they had a hard time seeing what was going on. So going to a slightly thicker, more visible rubber band felt like a good move.

These bands were tested by three different guys in the real world ( Shawn Preston,Joe Russel and Alex Slemmer and believe it or not, a few times by myself ) and the effect and examinability delivers as promised. Now despite all of the practical logic of the above, I know that deep in our heart of hearts we would all love to have a perfect seamless band that's an exact match for the #19 golds.

It's an inner aesthetic. Sort of like a deck of bikes vs anything else. I can't tell you how challenging and expensive its been to get the linked bands to be as good as they are now. But I completely understand that if you are a rubber band purist then these bands are not for you. On the other hand if you want the first ever available in this world set of of linked bands that will stand up to examination by normal folk then I think you'll be quite happy.

Again, make sure to rub the bands between your palms to distribute the powder all over the bands. Use a home made set of bands made from normal bands to practice with as the links are made to be given away, not to practice with. And since you already have the bands..you might as well go out and perform for some real folks, let them examine the bands, and see what their is to see. Now for those with gourmet rubber band tastes there is something in the works.

I greatly appreciate the feed back from the Café Collective on all this. On future releases I'll make a point of sending out a few sample effects before release for review to make sure everyone has complete clarity as to what's the what.

Somewhat relentlessly,
ph

Posted: Mar 8, 2009 1:41pm
As for the powder, Paul says he likes the look of the bands when they are completely powdered. Some will prefer to get rid of all the powder by wiping it off. Try both to see what you like best.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Hmm, it's always good to hear from the man himself.

I do almost no rubberband magic though. I don't have anything against it. I just never studied anything besides CMH.

I do really like linking effects and if they can be given away that is always a huge plus.

I just can't seem to make up my mind about picking this one up or not.

Should I study some other band stuff before venturing with this or do you think I should just take the plunge and work on it?

Justin
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Thanks Chris for posting the thoughts from Paul. I'm definitely interested in seeing the bands that are coming down the pipeline.

I picked up SLR from my local shop on Friday afternoon. I've played with the bands a bit, and have watched the DVD.

The powder on the bands is really no big deal. As mentioned above, handle them a bit, and the powder will fall off. It will stay on your hands (kind of like those bags that baseball pitchers use). Wash your hands, and you'll be good to go with your powder-free bands.

There are some very minute seams, but they're nothing like the seams you get by cutting and gluing bands. I've not tried this out for any laypeople yet, but I'll see how the scrutiny level goes.

For the thickness of the bands, I agree they're a bit too thick to be ideal for CMH, but I do see why they made them as thick as they did. They certainly seem less prone to breaking, and the visual link is very good.

The DVD is thorough, while remaining concise. The runtime is about 35 mins, with Joe covering care of the bands, switch methods, handling methods, and a quick tutorial on how to do CMH. Difficulty isn't anything outrageous. If you already do CMH and the classic Dan Harlan linking bands, you'll pick this up right away. If you've never done band work before, then it still shouldn't take long to get comfortable with the linking sequence.

Overall, I'm looking forward to trying this out. CMH is one of my favorite tricks of all time.

Since the SLR comes with 20 linked sets to give away, I imagine I'll try it out at least 15 times and give the bands away. That will determine my need or desire for thinner linked bands.

But so far, my impressions from handling the bands myself and watching the DVD are good. There are multiple switches taught, so there should be something here that appeals to everyone.

I can understand and appreciate that people would love a true set of seamless linked #19 bands (heck, I would), but I don't think this is a bad start at all. It certainly beats making them myself...

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Well....here's an effect I'd like to keep all to myself. But.....

On the Danny Garcia Project DVD #1 his effect Rubber Made ends with the climax of two bands linking together. The bands ARE NOT GIMMICKED! I prefer this to CMH.

You could do a longer routine and do a switch and give them the Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands to keep and even have SLR link in their closed hand. I haven't tried it yet, but it 'sounds' killer.

Here's a clip from the DVD. At 2:00 he goes into the effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWYbp60ONuo&feature=related

Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Over the years, I've researched a lot of different types of rubber bands to use with Crazy Man's Handcuffs and other rubber band effects. My favorite rubber bands are Dan Harlan's Pro Bands.

I don't see anything wrong with the seams on the SLR bands. It's the thickness of the bands and the fact that they break very easily. I hope whatever Paul has in the works uses #19 bands.

Robert
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 14:08, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Well....here's an effect I'd like to keep all to myself. But.....

On the Danny Garcia Project DVD #1 his effect Rubber Made ends with the climax of two bands linking together. The bands ARE NOT GIMMICKED! I prefer this to CMH.

You're right, it's a beautiful effect. But it's only fair to mention that it requires a gimmick so it's not quite as impromptu as CMH.
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
While I understand that they cannot be used over and over my number is now at 6 links out the 20 that have broken after trying the entire effect (link, unlink, final link)as described, first run through per band.

That is unacceptable.

I love PH but the quality is just not there.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Wow I really have not had any problems with mine guys....As far as the band breaking and such. I can see the seams and when they are sretched you can see that the material is thinner in those areas. But it hasn't been a problem. I pulled out one set just to screw around with and I bet I've done the whole routine 30 or so times with it. It has not broken yet. Maybe there are some issues with consistant quality.

The thing that HAS bugged me is the amount of powder on the things. If you rub it off with your hands you then have powder all over them. You pretty much have to wash up afterwards.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
Darwin Ortiz.......(This post has got to be in my top 5.)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I watched the demo and it looked so good. I can't imagine not getting an incredible reaction from it.

Has anyone performed the effect yet? That would be the real test.

Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I've also been playing with the same set of linked bands for 2 days straight, and have gone through the whole 3-phase routine several times, and the bands don't even look like they're thinking about breaking.

I'll try this out on some folks over the next week and report back.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
I haven't tryed it out yet. I just got them two days ago and have been working through the routine. I'll take them in to work tonight and try to freak a few people out.
Andrew, (ASW)
The effects on the DVD and lecture notes are far beyond your abilities. (They require mastery of the mechanic's grip.) It would only break your heart.
Sincerely,
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1179 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
My bands haven't been breaking. It's still as good as when I first started playing with them. I'll also test them out when I have some time. Smile
magichoka
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of magichoka
The rubber band comes with some white powder on it. After I washed it, but still very sticky, anyone have the same problem ? Thanks
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
I must have received a bad batch then as I have had nothing but breaks with mine. Most I have been able to do the 3-phase with one set is twice before snapping and I am at the point where my hands are only inches away from each other to try to minimize breaks.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
4747 Posts

Profile of emyers99
A few of my sets have broken but I think it really depends on how much you practice with them. As someone above pointed out, the rubber at the seams is thinner and with practice, the rubber starts to break down. But once you get the handling down, you would only be doing the routine once with each set of bands so there should be no breakage issues.

But you will definitely have to sacrifice a few sets to get the handling down. The dvd suggests making practice bands out of regular rubber bands. That's fine, but the linked bands don't handle quite as easily as regular bands. So you will definitely need to practice with the real things several times until you get the feel for things. So far, I've tried to sets. Both have broken but only after practice. One set broke after about 4 trial runs but the other set lasted a few days.
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Chris, just wondering, how'd you get Paul's email address? Smile jk
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
I have not had any problems with my first set and I am placing an order for refills. I have been practicing with one set-at least twenty times and it is still in fine shape. Because there has been more than one post about defective sets, I am sure some must exist. It will be interesting to see how the dealers handle this.
Tim Jahn
View Profile
Special user
South Florida
911 Posts

Profile of Tim Jahn
Penguin has refills up now. $11.16 for twenty links and ten singles.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=11241

The page says that for a limited time you will get an extra bag of refills when you order.

Tim
Andrew, (ASW)
Sincerely,
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
After reviewing everything I think it is exactly what I would and have wished for.

The ability to be able to hand out and give away an impossiblity is worth its weight in gold.
Before buying I think you have to think about why your buying, if you are being paid or trying
to get paid, this is the trick. After years of hearing in thousands of effects how "they'll never
get rid of this business card or signed card or whatever, this is something that people truly will
never get rid of, because they don't have to try to retell the story they can just show the bands
and the conversation comes.

This is definitely not a show your friends (who have seen every other trick) trick it is to make a
huge and long lasting impression. They are not props they are giveaways and with handling them
so.

just my 2cents and I don't think they are for everybody, but for those of us who they are for
they are not only the only choice but everything I could want, short of perfection.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Souvenir Linking Rubber Bands (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL