The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette Manipulation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
I really love Cigarette manipulation, but can't stand cigarettes. Does anyone have any other cigarette-like objects that they manipulate?

Thanks In Advance,

Alex Yan
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5276 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I think that there have been a couple of threads addressing this topic. Even so I’ll give you some thoughts to get you started in brainstorming. I think that if you can manipulate cigarettes then the replacements (Replacement Killers?) should be obvious to you.

Here goes! Try pocket knives! I watched an old hand do an entire cigarette act using pocket knives! His cigarette manipulation act no longer played because most of his venues were non-smoking so rather than give up on years of practice he bought a dozen pocket knives and did his routine using the knives. It played well. He went from the color changing knives into the manipulation routine.

The smaller BIC style lighter is easily manipulated using cigarette moves. They are also easy to gimmick (plastic is an easy medium to glue to). Fantasio even makes blue, yellow, and red BIC shells (color change, silk to BIC, BIC to match, etc!).

Children’s crayons can be manipulated using the standard cigarette manipulation moves. Take a fairly standard cigarette routine and simply replace the cigarettes with crayons, candies (Tootsie Rolls), Golf tee’s, Sharpie marking pens, and on and on. The sleights and routines are all the same! It is only the object being manipulated that is different!

Heck, Slydini’s broken and restored cigarette routine can be adapted to using crayons!

I think you get the idea! Go for it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3398 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I recently bought a box of crayons just for this purpose. Thought it would play well for a kid's show.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
If you love manipulation with cigarettes then why search for another object?

I think if you love cig. manipulations, but hate cigarettes, you can still make some appearances and vanishes from thin air. You can discard the cigarette from your hand and it always comes back. Your facial expression does not have to reveal your feeling about cigarettes, only the surprise that it keeps returning.

Another way you can approach this is to speak about the nuisance of cigarettes. I think in presenting it like this, you will look very natural.

delpfin.

PS. I'm a smoker, but I know some magicians who hate cigs and are performing cig magic in this style.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1027 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
What about those puff puff cigs?

I don't know for sure but it seems that Lance Burton uses these, and they still look great, if not better.

I think on stage, cigarette manipulations look great, so try those, they're sold at most magic/joke shops.

Thanks
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Yeah, try just a crayon. Maybe cut the top off it so it's not pointy and doesn't look like a crayon. Or you can be creative and buy some bits of doweling wood and cut them to the right size and then "!PAINT!" them. You could even do a colour changing "cigarette" routine.
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Shimada, in his billard ball manipulation video, explained the purpose of his use of cigarettes in his act is that the smoke gives a more mystical look to his performance. He said personally, he did not like the smoke in his eyes.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Anyone kind enough to give a review of Magic Crayons by Rey Ben at http://www.hocus-pocus.com?
never try, never know
delpfin
View Profile
New user
Poland
53 Posts

Profile of delpfin
Darkwing, thanks... now I know more about the Shimada video, and I think I'll buy it!
Deucemc
View Profile
Regular user
originally Honolulu, Hawaii
116 Posts

Profile of Deucemc
You can also look for the candy cigarettes. Some made of chocolate, and some are made of gum. The ones made of gum have a powder- type substance, and when you blow on the cigarette, a puff of powder comes out. It kind of looks like smoke. They are stiffer than real cigarettes and can be manipulated just the same.
wikiro
View Profile
Elite user
NY
435 Posts

Profile of wikiro
Perform a keep-away routine, and then finally get it and it turns out to be chocolate.
If you punch a wall so hard your knee hurts your goal has been accomplished.

Never Panic!

Wikiro Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Cigarette Manipulation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL