The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finally put my foot down (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
I have posted in the past how difficult it is to perform magic for my friends at work and I finally had to "draw the line". I was performing "Stolen Cards", a relatively easy card trick. I started with the ususal patter, which took about a minute, and as soon as I laid the first card down onto the table he reached for it. I got mad. I was advised by someone here about "magicians respect". I said "do you want me to do this or not?" "YOU'RE the one who wanted to see a trick, right?" he said "Yes". I told him to give me what's called a little magicians respect and DO NOT touch anything unless I tell you to. He said "Ok! Ok!". I went on to complete the trick and to my surprise he was shocked! (Once again an easy trick with proper presentation works wonders) then did another few and was happy with the outcome. Just a little request and they listened. It's still amazing how everyone just grabs whatever is placed down. I've even had someone try to grab it right out of my hand. Hopefully this the start of a "change" by my friends.
sruli
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of sruli
I'm glad it worked for you. I hope you don't have to do this with all your friends! I still think you need to be able to project "touching my stuff is unthinkable" to your spectators.
Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
Nattefrost
Bravo sir, you took control of the situation and all turned out for the better. Wouldn't surprise me if that friend of yours asks again sometime in the future and gives you due respect
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
karthik
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of karthik
Good for you Natte.. definitely a step in the right direction. This happened with me too...and the best part was my confidence grew in leaps and bounds after that. Good luck!
Ethan Orr
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapolis
163 Posts

Profile of Ethan Orr
Good for you! Don't be afraid to put your foot down. Soon you'll have 'em eating out of your hand.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Controlling the audience, it is one of the most important lessons in magic to learn. Good start.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A little authority and you're getting the prestige you need. Good!
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
That's awesome Nattefrost! It's your 'stage', take control of it.

Hopefully now that you've established the ground rules your friends will 'chill-out'
and simply enjoy the magic which makes your job easier and significantly more enjoyable! Smile
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Congratulations....Respect MY Authoritay!
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
That's something I've been quite afraid of too, performing for friends and the like.
But I'll try use that magician's respect line next time someone tries to grab something of mine. Still gotta work on my audience control.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
Fortunately with friends you can get away with quite a bit as far as controlling is concerned.
So reading them the 'riot act' can be more than appropriate given they see you as 'friend' and not necessarily 'performer'.

It's when you are performing for people you don't know that it starts to get interesting. Then you've got to get creative
in how you get your message across. Too subtle and you lose control. Too heavy-handed and you're just seen as rude.
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Nice! That's the way to do it Smile
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Its all in the way you control them. Polite and firm. Way to go.
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Thanks, guys. The confidence level boosted way up after that. I'm just suprised that just one comment kind of changed things. I should have done that a while ago. Deep Astonishment is next........CONSIDERING THEY GIVE ME MY "MAGICIANS RESPECT"!!!!
kendavis
View Profile
Regular user
182 Posts

Profile of kendavis
It's an excellent example of audience control for beginners and pros! Good work!
gr8fl1
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of gr8fl1
Reminds me of the friends episode where Joey lets people know in no uncertain terms that 'Joey doesn't share food!'. You did a great job of making it clear who is in charge. I will remember this when I get to the point of presentation. Thank you!
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
Thanks for the nice responses. It was that I was kind of "afraid"- in a way- to ask for something like that because I had the impression that it may "take away" the spectator impression from the effect, or like I was "hiding" something but that WAS NOT the case. I really should have done that a while ago. Actually I did a little business card trick today called "business minded" where you predict what the spectator writes and when I started he sarcastically said "I know, I know, I won't touch anything" and the effect came out excellent. I love when they try to tell you how you did it and they are way off. He finally yelled 'COMON, WILL YOU TELL ME?" I said that since you have been giving me my "Magicians Respect", I'll tell you how it's done........................then I said.....................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Oh good. So first you scold him for not giving you "Magician's Respect", whatever that is, and then afterwards you taunt him about not sharing the secret?

Lovely.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
You can always say "As a musician has his musical instrument, this deck of cards is my instrument. You would not expect a musician to play for you while holding his hands or grabbing his guitar."
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
nattefrost
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of nattefrost
That's exactly what I did. This is one of my best friends of many years. I think he can take it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Finally put my foot down (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL