The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Light Paddle - John Kennedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
drumdemon420
View Profile
Veteran user
396 Posts

Profile of drumdemon420
Oooh, I didn't know about the battery issue. I hope there is an easy way to make sure it doesn't accidentally get switched on while in your pocket or stored.

It's cool that you are getting awesome reactions with it. Could be yet another case of us magicians overlooking something that has great potential to entertain.

Mind if I ask if you came up with your own routines/uses for it?

JS
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Kennedy's older paddle effect Dream Paddle always got good responses.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Here's something I've come up with:

1) Borrow a ring and vanish it.
2) Reach into your pocket to find it but instead bring out the Light Paddle.
3) Show it empty on both sides, then make the light appear.
4) Produce the ring from the light.

This gets a very strong reaction.
tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 17:48, GarySumpter wrote:
Poor = pointless.

WHY would you do anything with this 'trick'? I just don't get it at all.

Gary

I hate to have to tell you this, Gary, but it seems that either you have no imagination or you have some kind of a grudge. Do you also see "no point" to D'Lite?

People like you that don't even own a product and are so negative and unwilling to contribute really turn me off.

I don't mean to offend, but I just don't understand your attitude.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 23:09, gaffed wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-25 16:00, GarySumpter wrote:
That was poor, very poor Smile

I'll have to admit I'm a bit lost on that comment also? Just what was very poor?

~gaffed~ Smile

On this one I am with Gary. On viewing the demo vid, I feel that the prop lacks the very basic & elementary design concept of ratio/ proportion. IMHO, the LED used is a much larger in size as compare to the paddle. Instead of using a 5mm LED, a 3mm LED would have been much appropriate. Also one should have kept in mind the replacement of battery and not made the prop as a use & throw prop. After all $50 is big money. IMHO, this prop lacks design thought & imagination. The prop might be nice for others but is certainly NOT for me. You may like to reread my previous post on the subject.

Quote:
On 2009-03-10 15:23, tdaube wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-08 17:48, GarySumpter wrote:
Poor = pointless.

WHY would you do anything with this 'trick'? I just don't get it at all.

Gary

I hate to have to tell you this, Gary, but it seems that either you have no imagination or you have some kind of a grudge. Do you also see "no point" to D'Lite?

People like you that don't even own a product and are so negative and unwilling to contribute really turn me off.

I don't mean to offend, but I just don't understand your attitude.

I would suggest that you pick up any (so called) negative post by GarySumpter & then go thru the entire thread on the subject. You will notice that what Gary said is absolutely unbiased FACT(s) duly supported by many other unbiased users.

And let me tell you that, to give ones own opinion, it is NOT necessary to own a product. There are many experienced magicians who can tell by just viewing a product & its effect, whether the product is good/ suitable for ones own use or not.

Just my opinion about GarySumpter.

Smile
P.S. I do not know GarySumpter personally.
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
This is at the top of my list.

Well, if you are a hobbyist, and did it in your local magic club, they would laugh at you.

Setting: New Orleans, the end of 10 hours at a trade show. Now it is a night time party. Enter the Magician : Walk into this night time Corporate party( this is mainly the only kind I do).
Walk up to the table. The music is so loud they cannot hear you. It is dark with maybe a light flashing here and there. They are drunk or getting there. They are into everything(picking up someone or making a business deal or just getting drunk).

And I am hired as THE MAGICIAN to entertain them.( someone thought it would be cool to have a magician, or my agent is just that good, an add on to make her more $, a lot of time they get a magician because some guy in the office is a magician and they think it will be great to hire a pro, I've met many nice people like this that know many of you guys).

POINT:
If I walk up, get their attention and do this for 15-20 seconds, then I earned at least half my pay.

Now if I really have to throw away a $50 trick if the battery burns out, no way this is worth it. Is that true???

I will buy this and support John 100%, but is it true if it burns out you throw it away?
That makes it a big no.

Otherwise, this would probably be the best for this type of performance.

I've tried every hot rod and knife and paddle in the book in this type of setting, and you just cannot see it in these dark settings. They fall flat. (Except for the jumbo Lucite 12" hot rod.) So this would be perfect. Please tell me this is not disposable. No, tell me the truth.
thanks!

ACE
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2970 Posts

Profile of niva
I used to use a hot rod type effect long ago, But have sinde stayed away from rods or paddles. Better use a normal object.

The No.2 pencil by Mark Jenest wins for the best looking paddle effect and it makes more sense. No SOming by Jean Luc Bertrand is a close second.
Yours,

Ivan
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
So far I've managed to gimmick
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
I still think that a well worked out routine with the color changing knives is a killer effect when it comes to a paddle move if handled properly. Used to do it but with my arthritis I can no longer depend on my hand (it comes and goes).....[NO, it doesn't disappear at times! lol] and I now have to stay away from card tricks that require some semblance of dexterity.

On second thought it would be pretty cool if my hand actually did disappear! Crap....getting old sucks! Try if at all possible to avoid it.

~gaffed~ Smile
"Half this game is ninety percent mental."
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Wait < I'm crazy, but you all knew that. If the person who hired me saw me doing this from a distance, they would say,"all that guy did was shine a flashlight at the people!"

One of my clown friends went to the magic store, and they sold him d'light.
I referred him for a birthday I could not do. He said the kids were so small, he walked among them and pulled the d'light from their ears and showed it to them. He said they enjoyed it.
The Mom called me and said, "All he did was shine a flashlight in the kids eyes!!!!!" ( I figured she was not even watching what he was doing, but looking on from the other room as she drank her whine. This happened to me once when I first started, I did many sucker gags that seemed to go wrong, but ended up right. Every time the MOM walked in the room, I was in the middle of the "gone wrong" part, and when she left, it fooled the kids. She told me none of my tricks worked.) Now I make sure that does not happen. And it never has.

ACE Smile
John Kennedy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Hello and best wishes to Café members. I have gotten some feedback regarding the non-replaceable battery in the Light Paddle. Yes, by design it is a sealed unit. Many users will never need to replace it since it lasts a long time.

But I have gotten enough feedback that I now offer a very reasonable battery replacemt service - $9.95 which includes shipping anywhere in the world!

This service is available on my web site here http://www.johnkennedymagic.com/scripts/......duct=102

Hope this helps.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Now John, that is Great! I might just go ahead and order it just to have fun with it. It's good to know you can address concerns and fix them.
If I like it enough and it makes into into my show, then I will order a spare, so I will always have one when the other is sent back.
If something is usable for my show, then price is no object(short of having to replace the whole thing every time, lol)
Thanks again John, now I can make up my mind to get it.

Joe
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
John, although I've not purchased one that is very considerate of you in making that option available. Now that is the way business should be handled! I for one applaud you on that.

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible." ~St. Thomas Aquinas~

Twitter – "A means of proving how pathetic and lonely you are in 140 characters or less." ~Anonymous~
John Kennedy
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of John Kennedy
Quote:
On 2009-03-13 22:42, Acecardician wrote:
Now John, that is Great! I might just go ahead and order it just to have fun with it. It's good to know you can address concerns and fix them.
If I like it enough and it makes into into my show, then I will order a spare, so I will always have one when the other is sent back.
If something is usable for my show, then price is no object(short of having to replace the whole thing every time, lol)
Thanks again John, now I can make up my mind to get it.

Joe

Joe, I must say that the Café was an important part of the feedback that influenced my decision. If you or another Café member does purchase the Light Paddle I would be delighted to see your comments or reviews here on the Café. There has been speculation and some negativity in this thread, but so far only by people who do now own it or have never seen it. The few positive comments have come from those who own it.

I am not opposed to negative criticism as long as it is educated. So if you do get a chance to hold the unit in your hand and try it, please do comment! You might be surprised how much you and your audience like it!
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
John showed this to me in person just last week at the World Magic Seminar and it is a beautiful little pocket illusion! The 'light' in person looks very magical, you cannot tell there is a bulb on the paddle in person as long as it is lit. You can do a routine showing the bulb off in view or without, your choice, either way it looks way cool live, that I know for sure!

Combine this with a d-light or other light effects and now you have a very cool, hip and modern pocket illusion you can do anywhere anytime, I know as John showed this to me under massive hotel florescent lights and it still looked very cool! I could only imagine what this would look like in a bar or night club type setting.

I understand Gary's point when he said 'pointless or whats the point' but in contrast of that very same comment, I must point out that you could actually say that in regards to just about any magic trick or illusion ever created to be honest. Why stick a bill in a lemon?, why cut a lady in half?,etc...well folks as some of the greats will tell ya...becuase we can as magicians and entertainers, and for me magic is not just an art form in entertainment, but also rather an art of entertainment! And I'll tell you what...for those few minutes John was showing me the light paddle, I was very enterained, and to me that's all that matters, and I think that's all that will matter to your spectators too!

This is a "have fun with" mini illusion, and no doubt your spectators will have a continuous smile the entire time, like I did! Now that's magic!

Good job John, and nice craftsmanship, the quality of the paddle is excellent! The secret switch/gaff is very cool! Well done!

Im a fan!

Peter.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Hmmm....perhaps just a poor demo of the trick/effect. Good lesson learned as I thought it very poor. Not at all sure if it was the one performing it (which I thought poor) or the spectator who looked very bored. Maybe some second thoughts on this? I know John puts out quality items and great ideas and has been doing so for a long time. Bottom line....it may have been the (in my mind) the lack luster presentation on the video. Just a thought.

~gaffed~ Smile
~Yogi Berra~

tdaube
View Profile
Loyal user
Nevada
229 Posts

Profile of tdaube
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 00:26, gaffed wrote:
Hmmm....perhaps just a poor demo of the trick/effect. Good lesson learned as I thought it very poor. Not at all sure if it was the one performing it (which I thought poor) or the spectator who looked very bored. Maybe some second thoughts on this? I know John puts out quality items and great ideas and has been doing so for a long time. Bottom line....it may have been the (in my mind) the lack luster presentation on the video. Just a thought.

~gaffed~ Smile

What video did you see, gaffed? I haven't seen one with a spectator. I can tell you that this thing KILLS. It's my favorite new toy to carry around and perform now. Does anyone else have this? It rocks.

I love the way the paddle is introduced in John's routine in the instructions. It completely takes the edge off the paddle as an unfamiliar object.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I just ordered mine from John!

I'll post a review after I get to use it in public!

I used another paddle effect last night, and lay people are real receptive to the paddel and are still amazed!

ACE
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I just got mine last night! I love this thing. It is fun to play with. I'm doing a balloon only show tonight, but I will bring it and try to do it a few times so I can see the reactions. I'm not one who ever liked De'light. But I love this.
I ordered direct from John Kennedy and ordered the brighter bulb as I sometimes work in well lit places. It is very bright. He gives a nice routine with it in the instructions. My favorite is plucking a sponge ball or coin from the light like on the demo.

I wish I would have thought of this!

I'll post more as I get audience reactions.

Joe
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I'm having a lot of fun with this. It's easy to come up with ideas as you use it.

I carefully pried up one of the panel strips on the one side of the paddle without the bulb. I don't suggest this unless you are real careful and know what you are doing. It is on with a sticky glue and I was able to put it back. so I did not hurt mine at all. I am not responsible if you hurt yours.
I saw the battery, so if I burn it out, it is simple to replace. I don't know yet about the bulb. I will worry about that if it ever burns out, and it might never.

So there is no need to throw these away or replace them. This is worth getting.

I do recommend taking advantage of John's offer to repair them for $9 or so if that ever happens,
These seem made well enough so that does not seem to be a worry for a long time.
I happen to be handy at electronics, so I can probably fix this myself.

I rate this one of my better buys in the past month.

Very very happy with it.

ACE Smile
gaffed
View Profile
Inner circle
1817 Posts

Profile of gaffed
Quote:
On 2009-03-15 00:40, tdaube wrote:

What video did you see, gaffed? I haven't seen one with a spectator. I can tell you that this thing KILLS. It's my favorite new toy to carry around and perform now. Does anyone else have this? It rocks.

It seems as though the video has been changed! The first one had a female spectator sitting at a table although I can't for the life of me remember the magicians name who was performing it. He based his performance on the old shell game and I just thought it was rather poor. I will admit the newer one is fast but it seems to have more "punch" as to what can be done with this.

~gaffed~
~Yogi Berra~

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Light Paddle - John Kennedy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL