The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » After 8 months my CP is nowhere. Good thing there are non-CP routines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2009-02-27 11:04, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
My CP seems to actually get worse from week to week. I may have to simply give up on my super soft Barber Halves that I love and try something with actual edges. It feels like a huge defeat. I had it working OK for a while as long as I could warm up. Now they just fall out.

One cannot walk around with coins palmed if they cannot be held in palm at all. Perhaps the bottle caps are what I need. Larger coins seem like an impossibility.

See... now I'm the one giving in to frustration.

I have a set of Morgans with the same problem. Wonder where one could get the edges re-milled, and what it would cost...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Like you said,"What sleights do I need for this? A thumb palm, a finger palm, a front finger clip, ...."
While you continue working on the CP you might also look at the
Morritt Grip/Palm(?) and the grip used in the Dobrina routine, both in Bobo.
Vinnie's Crimp is also a possible alternative.

I Pmed you.
Lord Anacho
View Profile
Regular user
Kessel-Lo, Belgium
157 Posts

Profile of Lord Anacho
The good stuff keeps on coming in.

Reaction to a few quotes
* Griff said: "Hey Lord Anacho, I think you can be a great coin magician without being able to do a CP."
<<Yes Griff, I know that. As I mentioned in my initial mail I already have a nice routine without CP. But while I can entertain people with a coin routine, I will keep on working at the CP, as I think it has great value.>>

* Mb217 said: "I was thinking about this today on the way to work and thought about how our perspective of our CP is not necessarily what specs see. If you're doing an effect right, the hand should not even be noticed. Unless your hand is terribly contorted, a spec should have his focus where you put it. There's a lot that goes into making it all believable beyond the physicality of it. Remember, your hand is supposed to look normal, whatever that is for you. Don't get overwhelmed by all these guys that can CP a coin and their hand appears pretty flat. While all of that is nice, it's not really necessary. No one walks around with their hand flat like that as it's more of a "showoff" move more than anything else. If you are using your hand and the CP within a routine, there should be movement going on which takes the heat off the hand as does the movement/usage of it toward the effect."
<<Yes Mb217; I know about focusing attention and setting up the routine in such a way that the heat is not where it shouldn't be. But what for instance is a good idea to get the heat of the palm? Kaps sublety, coin flick while CP'ing, (an absolute impossibility for me at the moment), those things all follow the professor's rule of 'Be Natural'. So there is something to be said for getting the mechanics right. Attention control is what you always need. But if your CP isn't secure enough, you cannot forget about it, and if you pay attention to it, however minimal, the audience will pick up on it. The sleight must be up to certain quality level so that you can forget about it.>>

* Douglas M. said "However, until that juncture, try not to artificially prove you hand is empty by splaying your fingers out while gripping the coin. Let your hand fall naturally in a relaxed semi-cupped position (as in real life when your hands are relaxed). Keep your thumb pad on your index finger pad to keep the thumb from jutting out unnaturally."
<<I would never splay my finger out, Douglas. I would always endeavour to keep my hands in a relaxed semi-cupped position. But as I said, when trying to CP a half dollar, the thumb almost vanishes under the hand and the knuckles are too arched. A great difference when I compare it to my non-palming other hand. If that is noticable to the audience is another matter. I think so, but that might be due to insecurity n my part.>>

* And to finish off: Justin says: "Once you CP, you should be able to CP anything... Whether it's a Morgan dollar or a penny, peanut, gum ball, paper napkin, match, pen, pretzel...anything.
<SNIP>
I teach people (all the time) in my physical therapy programs, how to CP. These are people with limited mobility, arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome (to name a few) and they seem to catch on with no problem?
<<Great for them. So their hands look soft? They have freedom of their fingers? They can type whilst CP'ing? They can do a coin flick when CP'ing a coin? CP'ing multiple coins? Or can they just hold a coin in their palm? So can I, but it ain't pretty nor is it natural looking.>>
So, it REALLY amazes me when I see all these posts from magicians??? complaining that they can't do it!
I really can't understand the problem?
<<If you could do it without a problem, more power to you. Some people do have difficulties and I feel a tad talked down to>>
I really believe the problem is all inside your head...really.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - JUST DO IT! Stop OVER thinking it.
<<Brain surgery is also easy. The knife has an edge, you hold it, you cut Smile>>
The CP in three EASY steps:
<<OK here goes...>>
1) put coin (or object of your choice) in position.
<<If one reads the discussion on coinvanish.com it is obvious that there is a great deal to be said about position. In my youth I CP'd between heel of thumb and base of pinkie in a vertical grip. Very wrong.>>
2) don't let it fall.
<<This means minimal muscle action. You state that one should be able to CP anything. With a half dollar, my hand looks unnatural. With any smaller coin, my hand looks like a paraplegic>>
3) don't let anyone know it's there. (what you lack in CP skill, you need to cover with strong misdirection! uh-oh, misdirection?!?!? Now I just opened another can o' worms...lol)"
<<Lack in CP-skills? I thought that according to you, anyone could CP anything? So what are you actually saying? That anyone can hold an object hidden in his palm and get away with it? That is certainly not the same as saying that anyone can do a good CP>>

Ciao for now

Erik
"The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything" (Alfred Borden in The Prestige)
mitchb2
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of mitchb2
I realized that I was going for the Holy Grail CP like David Roth, with his hands flat on the table and wiggling his fingers. But once I realized that I can hold and conceal a coin in CP while holding another coin, pen, etc., at the fingertips, that's plenty good enough for now. Are you able to do that?

If I try to CP a coin and pretend my hand is empty, that's different. The thumb is pressed in close in an unnatural way. But it IS getting better, very very slowly.
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I've been practicing the classic palm since march of last year.It is still not perfect, however it is definitely better. When your hands get sweaty, it seems to make it a lot harder. Once you get better at it , you can always try violin rosin, makes it sticky and easier to hold on to. These are 2 pictures of my classic palm around month 8.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/s......06-2.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a134/s......07-1.jpg
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
This quite possibly could be the best post I've read.

I have some of the same issues as Lord with the CP but even though my hand might, to me look a little "lobster clawish" I can use it to fool 'em any time.

I think Vinny said it best with : "If you're doing an effect right, the hand should not even be noticed."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Even the BEST cp isn't perfect...

Misdirection is key.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Quote:
On 2009-02-22 07:29, MacIrish wrote:
Have you looked at:

Classic Palming with Coins by Reed McClintock

He has relased this with specific things that you can do to learn it correctly.

Great ideas and helped me re-learn the Classic Palm.

I agree with MacIrish, this is one of the best DVD's I have seen about CP.
Buy it and learn CP in one week Smile

Morten
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I see that exactly one month ago I wrote that I couldn't CP at all. Now I can and the change happened overnight a few days ago. I still can only do two coins in each hand if I want to be able to release them one by one with a predictable result. But for mere palming with a natural looking hand, it now works with two coins at least.

My motivation for posting this isn't (just) to say naa-na-na naaaah-na at those who still struggle, but to make the point that even if it seems hopeless, happiness may be merely a short time distant. Tomorrow is only a day away, to quote the great philosopher Little Orphan Annie.

Never surrender!
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For me it is not about can you classic palm a coin . but how does your hand look while holding a coion in classic position.
Most magicians including me either look like they are squeezing oranges or their thumb has vanished this is a dead give away...
I never classic palm there are far to many other palms that one can do to achive minor miracles .
Long live the Crimp

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Don't know if this will work for you, but here's something that helped me - I bought a portable chin bar and started doing chin-ups every day. After about two weeks, it firmed up my hands and built a little muscle in the palm, which made it much easier to CP. Some say that overly muscular hands don't CP well, but flabby or underdeveloped hands certainly don't either (not to suggest that you have that particular problem, of course...). There has to be something solid to push against.

I made the most progress with the CP while practicing Jon Allen's in-the-spectator's-hands coins across from the "No Spectators" DVD. Although he doesn't spend a lot of time on the mechanics of the palm, the routine itself calls for CP'ing of both regular coins and a s***l. I learned a lot just by watching his hand positions over and over, and the very natural way he got into and out of palm with a quick flick of the wrist. It's great practice, and you have a killer effect to perform.

Also, as far as the DR demo goes, there's really no reason you'll ever have to hold your hand completely flat during an effect. If anything, it looks unnatural, as the hand in natural rest has a curl to it. I think DR was "throwing down the marker" and trying to make a point about the possibilities of the CP if done correctly. Unfortunately, the demo came early on in a DVD for beginners, and I suspect it discouraged some.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Bungee
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Bungee
I was one of the many who thought "thanks to Mr. Roth" that the only way to do it right was to be able to lay the hand flat on a table.

To hell with you and your freak hands Mr. Roth.
D Walker
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of D Walker
Quote:
On 2009-03-30 07:22, Bungee wrote:
To hell with you and your freak hands Mr. Roth.

Now that's funny right there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » After 8 months my CP is nowhere. Good thing there are non-CP routines (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL