The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Any Charlie McCarthy collectors out there (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
I have had more time now to peruse my Charlie McCarthy collection. would love to hear from others. I think we are the last generation to remember these great Americana characters
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I collect Bergen and McCarthy memorobelia like ads etc but not Charlie figures. Charlie was an industry unto himself back in the day.

There was Charlie "everything".
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Neale, actually I concentrate on non figures...its amazing what Edgar Bergen accomplished with his little pal. from fake money to compacts, pins, toys,greeting cards, tokens, banks, etc..what do you have. sadly, ask any young person today who Charlie and Bergen were and their reply will be WHO?
marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
I stay away from the paper and toy McCarthy collectibles but I love the 1930's Effanbee Charlie McCarthy figures . I have them in different sizes and outfits. A great collectible.
Dan
http://www.ventriloquistcentral.com
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Magicquarian,

I had read that Bergen and Disney were good friends, and Disney advised him "the money is in the merchandising"

I have Bergen/MacCarthy playmoney, bubble gum wrapper, birthday card, match book, spoon, vending machine cards, as well as tons of ads and programs.

There's still more I want to ad some day when I am rich Smile
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magiquarian
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of magiquarian
Marshall, I do have an effanbee doll, in a tux, but this one is mint and in the box. not easily found. I sold some years ago my posters of bergen and mccarthy to david Copperfield who also collects charlie stuff
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
At Christmas, I was given an old Charlie McCarthy figure that my uncle had gotten as a boy. (He was 82 when he passed away.) Unfortunately the mouth has broken and is inside the head, which is definite need of repair - some type of composite material. The tux has faded to pink and the top hat is red - so maybe the outfit had been too.

I have no idea who made the thing - but it still has the monocle and its definitely Charlie. My wife was thinking of trying to fix it up for me...

I also have an old Charlie McCarthy tin car similar to one offered for sale on Dan's site. That is mint and I plan on keeping it for my son.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Magiquarian I too have an original Effanbee Charlie mint and in the original box. I did a video blog showing him not long ago on my blog.

Tom check on the back of the neck and see if it is marked Edgar Bergen's Charlie McCarthy. These were the ones liscenced and sold by Effanbee.

Dan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Dan,
The only markings on the back of the neck are K & S. Guess it isn't a licensed one.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

marshalldoll
View Profile
Special user
554 Posts

Profile of marshalldoll
Tom the K & S is a Dummy Dan which was sold at the same time and they did dress their figures like Charlie Mccarthy to bank on his popularity but it really is not Charlie. That is the same figure I initially had as a child that led to my collecting of ventriloquist figures today. Story is on my bio on the web site.
The K & S figures came in 4 different sizes ranging from 15" tall to 30" tall. The Effanbee Charlies only came in 2 sizes.
Dan
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Thanks for the info Dan.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Any Charlie McCarthy collectors out there (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL