The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bro Gilbert's New Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
doormouse
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of doormouse
Actually all the dealers have it now, Penguin, Madhatter, Hocus Pocus, etc...
zorbinski
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
5 Posts

Profile of zorbinski
Mine just arrived yesterday. I have to say, this is absolutely amazing. In the wake of True Astonishments, this is another really personal effect that hits home with people. And it's super easy to handle! We have all handled a deck that uses this, which makes it so much more comforable. And the bonus "flipped perspective" is awesome! Definitely worth the measly $30. OH! And just for you geeks, there is an easter egg in the menu. Hey- This is Easter weekend. Did you do that on purpose, Bro?
But seriously, I am really digging this whole look and style that TA and D3 have going on. The earthy wood Art of Astonishment artwork stuff is making me feel good! Keep 'em coming like this. I want a whole series of AoA after-effects.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Anyone have an issue with the quality of the deck? My cards are bowing really strangely (and extreme) and make it difficult to work with. Another way of putting it is lets say you put some action in the deck, or a crimp... my deck has that all the time. No matter how much I try to reverse it. So I find times that I have to "pop" the deck so that I can spread the deck together/

I know this is clear as mud. Lets just say it isn't handling like any other gaffed deck similar to this type.

Great effect, I just think something is up with my particular deck.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

RevJohn
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Hello All!

Just following up RevJohn's question regarding the condition/quality of his Deep 3
deck......

Anybody else having this issue?

Thanks!

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Hey guys contacted RevJohn, his deck will be replaced, not sure what happened there maybe ups guy dropped it in a swimming pool earlier in his deliveries. Regardless when there is large run of something there is always according to murphys law the potential for a few bad seeds. If there are any concerns with your deep 3 decks the first plan of action is to contact the dealer you purchased it from. Beyond that you can send me a message and I will make sure that the appropriate peoples are notified and that you are taken care of with a healthy pack.
B
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Bro,
Thanks for the update/info!

Always nice to know that you stand behind your product.....

:)

Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
magicman1
View Profile
Inner circle
1183 Posts

Profile of magicman1
Now that's customer service

Moved me over the line on that to purchase this effect

Don
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Quote:
On 2009-04-12 20:45, RevJohn wrote:
Anyone have an issue with the quality of the deck? My cards are bowing really strangely (and extreme) and make it difficult to work with. Another way of putting it is lets say you put some action in the deck, or a crimp... my deck has that all the time. No matter how much I try to reverse it. So I find times that I have to "pop" the deck so that I can spread the deck together

I have been playing around with my Deep 3 deck now for a few days and I noticed the same thing occured to me AFTER I traced over the letters?? I used a "Marks A Lot" chisel tip marker. Now my deck has the "pop" to it that RevJohn was mentioning. Gonna leave the deck out over night, maybe the moisture with all the weather changes going on around here is making things messed up...

Love this deck... Gonna retire the 'old school' Deep Astonishment now...

Cheers,

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
Mystification
View Profile
Special user
567 Posts

Profile of Mystification
Would this be easy to make yourself? I will purchase the effect, as it is the ethical thing to do. Im fairly sure how this is assembled. Im thinking that anyone offended by the jokers could replace them with a regular joker.
JustinVisible
View Profile
Elite user
South Jersey/Philadelphia Areas
453 Posts

Profile of JustinVisible
Update...
I left the deck out over night, ribbon spread style and this morning it was just like new. The "pop" of the deck is gone and everything can be spread with ease.

Mystification, you could assemble this on your own but IMO it would be difficult. I thought about doing just that so I could customize for corporate clients. There is one added element to this deck which would make it difficult. You will have to purchase to find out the little nuance I am talking about.

As for the jokers, I really do not think that they are going to be an issue. With today's popularity of pinups, tattoos and such, this will fly by most people and has already. You are not bringing the "eroticism" of the jokers to their attention. You are talking about a gift from someone in your past that is supposed to bring you luck or something along those lines. The small amount of people who have seen this already think that the jokers are something else and like how they are different. Not one person has said anything about them being "racey" or offensive.

Cheers

Justin
"If they laugh, it's funny..."
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Both Janet and Bro contacted me, and Hocus Pocus, who is the dealer I purchased this through, is replacing the deck.

Justin... I will try your suggestion with the deck that is coming, if I end up having the same issues. My problems started after I marked the deck as well. I used the same marker Bro suggests in the DVD.

The service that I have received from everyone concerned has been fantastic!

RevJohn
boinko
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
410 Posts

Profile of boinko
I used a regular Sharpie and had no problems after marking. The deck is fine.

I said this before, but if anyone is concerned about the jokers -- don't be. They look like "old art." I'm not sure why folks are so freaked about the jokers. They're quite cool, actually. Nothing weird or racy.

And remember, too -- the goal is to turn the jokers over. The trick is not the jokers -- it's what's written on the back of the jokers. So the ultimate focus is never on the jokers themselves. They get glimpsed -- but the magic is in the flip.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
667 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
The video looks great,
this stuff is also available on:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1940
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
I really really like this effect. The thinking behind this is brilliant, and delivers a powerful effect. There is two handelings, a simplex version and another version that is not much more dificult. The dvd is great and is the same type of quality as the TA project. I will be using this
daghank
View Profile
Loyal user
290 Posts

Profile of daghank
I got my deep 3 today and I'm really happy with my purchase,besides the routine and presentation idea you see bro perform on the video,bro talks about an idea that paul Harris came up with,for me this was the best idea on the dvd.
I consider deep 3 like an impression device,an invisible deck,you can come up with sooo many routines using this,I already started thinking a few.
*Bro*
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of *Bro*
Thanks for the feedback everyone, and thanks justinvisible for posting your deck pop solve, I have never experienced that and have spent the last few days, scribbling on decks with all kinds of sharpies and jumbo pens like a true magic nerd to test but nothing. My guess is that if you prep the deck in a more extreme temperature zone, ie too hot, too cold, too much humidity this could happen, regardless the pop will pass as justinvisible has discovered. I would love to hear if anyone is liking the "flipped perspective" aspect of deep 3 as I usually alternate the two effects from group to group, as well for anyone who has bought the dvd, if you were liking the soundtrack on my tongue in cheek snowmobile teaser video there is something for you hidden on the main menu.
B
zorbinski
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, GA
5 Posts

Profile of zorbinski
I'm wondering.... Has no one realized the lucky ladies are the "Free Ride" witch from AoA (i think vol 3)? I mean, it seems stating the obvious. But no one has even mentioned it. They are her, minus the hat and broom. I love her.
BTW, I too am getting awesome responses to Deep 3. I would tell anyone and everyone, that if you are even thinking about possibly buying this deck- DO IT! You will not be disappointed. You may think it won't hit that hard, but I assure you, it really hits home. I prefer the "alternate handling" (which is what you see Bro using in the trailer), and I showed this to one of my "guinea pigs" (one who sees a lot of my stuff early on) and he was floored. It really creeped him out. Others usually just giggle for a minute. But all in all . . . . . . astonished.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Got mine yesterday had the same "Pop" deck problem which I have had with other decks that involve this method and configuration. I too left mine spread out and it seemed to solve 85% of the problem. If it is like any other deck 10 or 15 runthroughs it will be "broken in".THIS IS NOT A BIG ISSUE I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT IT.

As for the effect and presentation this thing is killer. Has everything you want in an effect. Spectator emotions, comedy, huge impact and very simple to do.I never thought the ID would ever have true competition and also that fits into the list I mentioned above, but this deck does and it may become my new "go to" effect. Great practical thinking. The thing I like about it is the numerous presentation angles and the latitude you have of adding more jokers to create different effects.
Highly reccomended Good work and hats off to you Bro!
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
No pop here. I think it's a climate thing.

Great trick.

Robert
Martin Waring
View Profile
Loyal user
York, England
244 Posts

Profile of Martin Waring
I used a Papermate W10 permanent Marker and left them to dry out for half an hour before reassembling with no issues at all.

Fantastic effect with great responses so far. I will be using this a lot!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bro Gilbert's New Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL