The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bro Gilbert's New Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Deanbarlow,

Repeated initials:
Bro talks about this in the DVD and explains how to get around this particular
situation. I've encountered this once and just went ahead and followed Bro's suggestions and it worked out just fine. Smile

Repeating for a different group:
Yes..after resetting the deck, you can perform this again.

Hope this helps!
Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Many thanks Rochaz & kissdadookie,

Rochaz, I have noted throughout this thread that you have had some issues with the deck deforming / 'popping', have you now resolved this issue and put it down to humidity? I live in the UK and therefore don't see humidity as an issue so hopefully I shouldnt have the same problem.
And finally on a scale of 10 (10 being best) how would you score this effect for a performer who has limited pocket space and doesn't wish to be carrying multiple gaffed decks around?
Many thanks guys,
Dean
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
It's strong enough to do alone. I really wouldn't do anymore card tricks afterwards to be perfectly honest. Heck, I probably wouldn't do any other tricks after it. It's really really strong closing material.
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 12:04, deanbarlow wrote:
Many thanks Rochaz & kissdadookie,

Rochaz, I have noted throughout this thread that you have had some issues with the deck deforming / 'popping', have you now resolved this issue and put it down to humidity? I live in the UK and therefore don't see humidity as an issue so hopefully I shouldnt have the same problem.
And finally on a scale of 10 (10 being best) how would you score this effect for a performer who has limited pocket space and doesn't wish to be carrying multiple gaffed decks around?
Many thanks guys,
Dean

Mine replaced my ID in my pocket...for most venues. I still carry my ID when I know there's going to be a lot of children. Deep 3 plays best for adults.

However, I'm going to partially side with kissadookie (sp?) and say this one can stand on it's own if you want it to.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Mario makes a good point here. The Deep 3 deck also doubles as a Brainwave style deck. You can basically forego the Deep 3 effect and use it for Brainwave with just a slight change to the handling (not as clean, but definitely clean enough).
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Dean,
My initial concern came up because I read a fellow member's comment about the problem he experienced with his deck "popping". After purchasing the effect I was extra careful (probably overreacting) with the deck and made it a point to store it in a ziplock bag. I've owned several ID's and have never had any problems with those...but then again I've never had to prep one of those decks like the Deep 3 deck! I honestly believe that you will have no problem whatsoever with this deck.

I also agree with Kiss and Mario...the effect can be powerful enough to stand on its own, IF (and this is just from my own personal performances) you make it a point to establish a real and sincere emotional connection with your spectator and by extension the person they are thinking about.

You will not be disappointed with this at all! Smile

Hope this helps!

Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
You definitely need to sell the effect to your audience with Deep 3 because the premise as well as the actual trick is a very personal one. If you just try to perform the trick as a standard "ta-da!" kind of trick then you are definitely cheating both yourself and especially your audience out of a great experience.
wash
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of wash
I have to be honest, having performed this a few times now, I kinda feel like it needs to be followed by something. it's good, but not a close up 'closer', and certainly not strong enough to creat a big whack on its own.

I love the alternative effect though - I prefer it to the tradicional method, and don't mind the colour restriction at all, I see it as a plus.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
May be different strokes for different folks. I've been using Deep Astonishment 2 for a good long while and Deep 3 is close to being as strong as DA2.
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Rochaz,

Many thanks for your very truthful and sincere responses, indeed thank you all.

I understand what you guys are saying reference the ID and how it could be used in a similar way to that with a modification of the handling :o)

One other question which slightly puts me off this effect and I hope you can answer: I have had numerous ID's over the years and found that some of the cheaper versions don't 'spread' as you want them to without exposing 'what lies beneath!' Is this deck well made in the sense of it's operation when spreading (R&S)?

Best regards,

Dean
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3951 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Oh, it's made meticulously well. One of the best made of such decks.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Yep...very well made!

Regardless, I always try to be careful with this type of deck. Handle it with extra special care when using it during a performance or even just storing it.
Kind of rententive, no? Smile

Rochaz
Whit Hayden

deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
I really love this effect. Very powerful
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
541 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 14:11, deanbarlow wrote:
Rochaz,

Many thanks for your very truthful and sincere responses, indeed thank you all.

I understand what you guys are saying reference the ID and how it could be used in a similar way to that with a modification of the handling :o)

One other question which slightly puts me off this effect and I hope you can answer: I have had numerous ID's over the years and found that some of the cheaper versions don't 'spread' as you want them to without exposing 'what lies beneath!' Is this deck well made in the sense of it's operation when spreading (R&S)?

Best regards,

Dean
I own it and it seems as good as well made Ids but after time it may require a respray.
I have owned several ID s and have found after time that they will need to be re roughed or sprayed.Very cheap as a can can do many many decks.
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Many thanks for the responses and advise guys, I think that I will go ahead and get this effect.
Dean
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
I have this and think it is great! The basic handling is the one I use, for a simple reason...when performing at a table (which I have found works great, as everyone engages in the thoughts and past of the person I am performing to), so when I spread at the end, everyone at the table can see as it is at chest height, whereas if I performed the other handling, half the table wouldn't be able to see the cards.
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2570 Posts

Profile of Robert M
I like the basic handling presentation at chest level, too. I've never done it this way with an ID, but it seems to work really well with Deep 3.

Robert
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Hi Guys,
My 3 Deep arrived today and I am totally happy with it. All of your comments were so true regarding the brilliance of this effect. Thanks for the comments and thanks to Bro Gilbert for such an outstanding effect.
Dean
deanbarlow
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of deanbarlow
Gentlemen,
Do you ever get questioned why the letters are just to one side of the back of the card? If so, what is your response / reply to this?
Dean
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Dean,
I can only speak for myself....but I've never had anybody ask me that question.
Even as the spec is holding the card they don't stop to think about that.
In my experience, most of the time they're to surprised/shocked/giggly to even consider where the letters show up on the card.

That is my take on it...perhaps others have experienced something else and would like to share how they handled it?

Respectfully,
Rochaz
Whit Hayden

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Bro Gilbert's New Effect (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL