The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ITunes Help ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I've been a Mac guy from the beginning .. but, I still don't know much compared to all the youngsters these days. Anyway .. I'm having a problem with the iTunes program on my old iMac. Every time I open it up .. it freezes (not responding) and I have to force quit every time. I've run the Disk Utility program with no problems .. is there something I'm missing??

Other than dragging that thing down to the Apple Store .. are there any other options?? Besides .. they'll just laugh at me .. it's that old.

Any suggestion .. other than getting a new computer??

Steve
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
Have you tried un-installing iTunes and reinstalling it, make a backup copy of the folder where your music is kept?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
The newer versions of iTunes take a REALLY long time to open - upwards of a minute or more, sometimes. Until I read about the problems on the web, I closed it many times, and reinstalled it several times, thinking it had frozen.

I don't know if it works the same way with a Mac, but could this be your problem?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I'm scared .. hold my hand through this ordeal.

I guess I really don't have a choice .. do I?? Going through all my CD's was a chore. I hope I don't have to do that again. I've got an external hard drive that I backed up the files in a while back. I can't back up anything right now .. because iTunes just wont stay open long enough for me to do anything, it just freezes up.

I'm still working my podcasts on my MacBook .. so, I'm good there. I might just pop my head in the Apple Store today .. just to take a look at the new stuff and maybe some advise from one of the so called "Geniuses." We'll see how smart they really are ...

Steve
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Now, now, little buddy...

I didn't realize that it was freezing up AFTER it was opened. If reinstalling the software doesn't help, the only thing I can think of is that your version of iTunes may not be compatible with your older computer/operating systrm.

Has iTunes ever functioned properly on this computer? Did the problem begin after an update?

One more thing... I'm not sure if Macs work like PCs, but I suggest doing a COMPLETE uninstall of iTunes, followed by a reboot of the computer to make sure that all of the "bits and pieces" are gone from the drives and from memory. After this is done, reinstall iTunes. I think your music files will be unaffected, but you should back them up before performing the uninstall.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
May I make one other suggestion?

Backup your iTunes Library file someplace safe (like a flash drive). Now, delete it off your computer. Re-open iTunes and it should automatically generate a new (empty) one. Play around and see if the problem is still there.

I've had a similar problem and been able to fix it that way.

If that is the issue, just re-add your music by clicking File > Add Folder to Library. Select the folder with all your music in it and you're good. The only thing you'll lose is your playlists.

If that's not it, just copy your old library file back to your computer.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2009-02-24 11:41, ClintonMagus wrote:
I don't know if it works the same way with a Mac?

By the way, I have a Mac (but the new ones) and I never had a problem with ITunes...

So I guess it's dosen't work the same...
Dare to Dream...
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
See part of the problem is I can't back up anything right now .. it just won't let me. I've had iTunes on this old Mac for years, never with a problem .. that is until now.

As soon as I open it up .. it freezes. I can't move anything or store anything .. I'm kinda stuck.

I have some of the tunes backed up .. but, not all. I would hate to think I would have to go through my CD collection again .. yikes!

Steve
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm not talking about backing up from within iTunes, but just copying your "iTunes Music" directory (or whatever it's called on your computer) to a flash drive or another directory.

If you do an uninstall of iTunes, it shouldn't mess with your music files, but you can never be too safe...
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
How about installing a new version of Itunes. It is safe and keeps all of your songs in the library (they won't be deleted when you upgrade)

Matt
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Clinton's right. I'm on my Mac right now. I'm going to try and walk you though this.

1.) Get a large flash drive... Most people's collections will fit on a 16GB drive easily. Sam's Club sells them inexpensively. Alternatively try Tiger Direct online.

2.) Plug in the flash drive. It should appear on your desktop.

3.) Open the Finder.

4.) On the left hand side, under "Places" select your home directory. This is whatever your username is. Mine is "matthewjones". You'll know you've got the right item selected if you see folders like "Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Library, etc..."

5.) Click on the "Music" folder to select it.

6.) Press Command-C

7.) Open up your flash drive from the icon that appeared on your desktop earlier.

8.) Press Command-V

At this point go grab a cup of coffee because this might take a while. Once the copy is complete you'll have backed up your iTunes library without having to open iTunes.

If you need to restore from your backup later, just navigate back to the "Music" folder, delete it, and copy everything back over from the flash drive.

Note to mleskanic: Technically you're right, but you should NEVER make a major change to your computer without a backup. It sounds to me like there could be a larger issue at play here. Before attempting to fix the problem a backup should be made just in case...
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much for the step-by-step .. it was very helpful. I've got some sort of external drive that looks like a black book. It seems to be working as I speak.

I forget how to do some of the simplest things on this stupid thing. Of course all I need to do is ask a youngster .. they know their way around the computer so much better than anyone over 35.

My knowledge of illusions is at your disposal ..

Thanks again buddies ...

Steve
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
So, is it working again? Inquiring minds want to know!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I had to pause this thing late last night so I could get some sleep. I've got 47 minutes left of the 7 hours required to store my music on the "Chez-A-Vault." It's a fun name for some sort of external drive.

I'm going to back up my pics again .. and what ever else is important on here. Maybe one day I'll master the Mac ... who knows??

Steve
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
So, I think I've got my music files safe .. the problem now is I can't delete the old version of iTunes that continues to freeze up.

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes from Apple and it seems as if I'm opening the old version ... it continues to freeze up before I can do anything.

I'm almost ready to give up ..

Steve
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Steve!
I suggest that you go to the discussions at apple.com. If I was at apple.com, and someone was looking for help with a magic trick, I'd probably suggest they come here.
http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=149
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I'm sure you know this, but there's a difference between "delete" and "uninstall". If it's not letting you uninstall the program, you might just have to delete the program files. and try to start over.

I've been looking on the web for a solution, but nothing seems to be exactly what you are looking for.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Clinton - In AppleWorld you uninstall programs by dragging them to the trash... Quaint eh? To the end user "Uninstalling" and "Deleting" feel like the same thing.

Steve - I want to make sure I understand what's happening. You deleted iTunes, installed the new version, and the same issue is happening?

If so there's a few possibilities.

My first gut reaction would be to make sure that iTunes is fully uninstalled. Check out Apple's support page on this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1224 (Way more complicated than it should be).
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I thought you just dragged it to the trash to uninstall. What could possibly be complicated about THAT?!?!?! Smile

Actually, everything about iTunes is complicated! Smile
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Dan does have a point .. and I do understand this is a magic site. I really don't go anywhere else for chatting online. I knew my friends here on the Café would be willing to point me in the right direction.

I'll keep working on a solution .. but, it might just be time to buy that new Mac I've been putting off for some time now.

Steve
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » ITunes Help ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL