The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Home made card press (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I wasn't ready to pay $30 for a card press (though I may end up with a porper clip eventually.) So...I went to Home Depot, bought two small metal plates (intended for some electrical purpose) and two 1" c-clamps. Unless I'm missing something, that should do the job, right?

Do you folks press your cards in or out of the box?

Thanks,
Daniel
mrmagician
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of mrmagician
I actually use an iron on the 100% cotton setting to press my cards.

Kidding aside, if you travel, I do not think you will get the above press on an airplane. Spend $30,00, and you can carry your cards in the press all of the time. They look Professional and Classy. A lay person has no idea what they are. They look decorative. And if you do not lose it, it will last a lifetime. The tensioned pressure is the correct amount. You will need even tension. I doubt you can get even tension using two C clamps. Plus you can have your name engraved on the Card Press. Or a prediction. Now, if you do a Sanford and Son type act, the C Clamp Press might fit the bill.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
The commercial card presses I've seen would not be shown to an audience regardless, and the pressure comes from two bolts and wing nuts. It actually looks pretty similar to what I've put together. The Presto press is red but certainly not a work of art:
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......0&page=1

I think you are referencing what I would call a card clip:
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......0&page=1

If so, that brings up an interesting questions, which I've seen posed before but not definitively answered. Does a good clip actually press the cards back into shape or simply protect the cards between use. It sounds like the better clips do actually have enough pressure to help flatten the cards, but I can't imaging it serves this purpose as well as a press.

I should clarify that I use cards primarily for manipulation, so it's in my interest to keep well-used cards workable as long as possible.

Thanks for any input.

Also, for those who press their cards, do you press them in the box or loose?

-Daniel
ying
View Profile
New user
Lichtenvoorde, Netherlands
38 Posts

Profile of ying
I just put some tape around a spare box, cut off the flaps and sandwiched a deck of cards between some old cards I had lying around. It's the cheapest card press I could think of but keeps my manipulation cards in solid condition.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
Daniel, you can get as much pressure as you want out of a clip by how many cards you put into the box. typically you might grab a couple extra cards laying around and throw em in just to get a really good press fit.

your idea with the c-clamps and the blocks is a great way to get the same thing accomplished cheap, an even less expensive and much easier method is to get some of those heavy-duty jumper cable clips (spring loaded metal jaws) and use them with two pieces of plexiglass or similar hard flat substance.

but as mentioned above, a porper is a classy way to carry them also.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
Drill the plates and add screws and wing nuts. It is not that difficult and not that time consuming. All can be purchased at Home Depot as well.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Here's a snap of the card press I made.

Click here to view attached image.
trashmanf
View Profile
Loyal user
300 Posts

Profile of trashmanf
That... how to say this nicely... looks like form follows function? It looks like it will work though!
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Yeah, not going to win any beauty contests, but it does the job at $6.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-02-26 15:46, trashmanf wrote:

an even less expensive and much easier method is to get some of those heavy-duty jumper cable clips (spring loaded metal jaws) and use them with two pieces of plexiglass or similar hard flat substance.

That is what I use to flatten my cards after splitting...it worx for a regular deck also.

You can't beat a Porper Clip for carrying and keeping your cards in performance shape.

Cardamagically,

Dom. Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I've seen some very classy screw type card presses made of hard wood that might look cool on your desk. I have drawn plans to make one and even have some cool exotic woods for the project but have yet to take it out to the shop!

I'm a huge fan of the Porper clips (I have 5)! Pepka has a custom Porper clip with his logo engraved and it's very classy IMO!
mikethemagician
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of mikethemagician
May I ask how does a card press help?
bodybyfood
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of bodybyfood
They do sell clamps with a broader clamping surface that may do the job (you would need some flat plates to even out the pressure though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Home made card press (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL