The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Police? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Has anyone out there ever got arrested for performing on the street? I've heard stories about people getting arrested for not having a permit. Can this happen?

Thanks in advance
Alex
RandomEffects
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
323 Posts

Profile of RandomEffects
YES!!!!!!!!!!!
The police can arrest you, which is why it is important for you to check before hand as to which areas are permit required, which are open, and which are closed off completely. While you can argue "Free Speech" it is pretty %$#%ing hard to collect a hat in the jail cell because you mouthed off to an officer. And I, as most of us, do not have a great Civi Liberties lawyer on hand at every moment.

If you can, try to make friends with the law enforcement official where you are performing it can only benefit you in the long run! I know the name of almost every cop that walks where I perform, and as a result when there is trouble they tend to beleive me over the person who is causing trouble.
Case in point some guy once claimed that is stole his watch, a rolex, and would not give it back. When the police came, I knew both of the officers and they knew that the guy was full of $#@%. As a result i avoided a theft charge and still was able to collect many more full hats that day instead of waiting in jail.

Mat
David_Libertine
View Profile
Regular user
Lake Charles, LA
142 Posts

Profile of David_Libertine
May I also add a thought to what Mat said...

If you're going to work the street and there are already people working the pitches, make sure you get to know them. They can save you more time, money, and trouble than you can imagine.

Invest a little time and a few bucks and they'll point you in the right directions.

You'll be amazed how far a beer and some friendly chat will take you with another busker.

Just my opinion... but I know what's worked for me.

By the way... while you're inquiring about permits and such, don't forget to ask about fire, etc... Many places have fire permit requirements and it's worth having one to avoid any "imperial entanglements" when you let loose with a palm flash, etc.
Boy: Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth.
Neo: What truth?
Boy: There is no spoon.
Neo: There is no spoon?
Boy: Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
i got a ticket.....kozmo goes to jail.....

its an old post

koz
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Alex,
Sure, the police can arrest you; that's what they're there for!
But more likely they'll give you a warning first.
(Arrest is 'way down the list -- unless you start mouthing off to them, and then it's your own fault!)
Never, ever argue with a cop; it's a lose-lose situation for you, since the cop has all the power on his or her side.
Getting a warning (or even arrested)is not rare -- but it's not common, either.
Remember, it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Thanks for all your help!
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
Yep! I watched a magician be hauled off into a squad car in San Francisco when I watched him. It was quite scene. Poor guy. Be careful about how you go about performing on the streets. A;ways make sure you have the permit. I would want to be going to a juvenile delinquent hall. Or worse spending time in a cell with some guy named Frank or Bubba. I'll stop there...

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Police? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL