The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolfe's Pop Gun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Does anyone have this? It looks like an interesting kid show prop with a William Tell theme.
http://www.smmagic.com/stagemagic/popgun.htm
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
This is not a Chance Wolf Product.. with that said, I HIGHLY recommend Dan and Smoky Mountain Magic. He makes great props.

-stephen
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
I wish I thought of that!!
What a FUN looking prop!
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
This routine looks remarkably similar to one posted on YouTube by our own RJE (I think his tag is). His routine also was about William Tell, and involved shooting a silk across the stage invisibly. He's taken the routine down now, so.....
Is this his release I wonder?
Doug.
Clownboy
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of Clownboy
COOL! Me wants one!!

Brad
As the Frogs say "Times Fun when you're having Flies" Smile
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
Quote:
On 2009-02-28 06:27, Clownboy wrote:
COOL! Me wants one!!

Brad

What a surprise!!! LOL!
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Fearless Fred?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Doug -

If I recall correctly, RJE's (Rob Evans) routine / video online was of him performing Mike Bent's "Fearless Fred".

It seems to me that the premise of "Fearless Fred" and "Pop Gun" is the premise of Silk Flight. Silk Flight is an old routine. I'm sure that Mike and Dan were aware of this old routine when they created their versions.

Other examples of a Silk Flight-style of routine is Arlington's Silk Flight (available from Malloy Modern Magic) and also Tim Sonefelt's Cannon Ball Circus (avialable from Wonder Imagery).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

I don't think RJE's routine was from Mike Bent, I'm certain he said he and his wife had come up with the routine themselves. It involved loading a silk into a tube, and a kid had to "fire" the silk at another kid holding a wrapped apple on his head. The signed silk finally appeared inside the apple. the whole thing had a William Tell theme.
perhaps RJE will spot the thread and comment?
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
The premise of the silk into the apple, or into a dinner roll, is one the classic ways of doing Silk Flight.

Even the mention of William Tell is an old patter premise.

However, you might be right. It might not have been "Fearless Fred" that Rob was performing. It might have been just a Silk Flight. I might be getting mixed up.

I also remember watching a video of Rob performing his adaptation of Mike Bent's "Mummy Dearest."

- Donald
AmazingEARL
View Profile
Veteran user
Tennessee, USA
350 Posts

Profile of AmazingEARL
I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't even aware of "Silk Flight." My apologies. Our initial idea was to create a more kid-friendly verison of Tony Slydini's "Silk in Apple" trick.

Adding the gun prop enabled the use of two helpers instead of one...more audience participation. It also made the trick play bigger than the original bare-handed silk vanish normally used. The silliness of the prop added more color, excitement and humor to the routine.

I suppose the main reason for the prop is to add the "convincer." The helper loads the hanky into the gun, not you...and you never go near it again.

I certainly hoped I've not stepped on anybody's toes...

Dan Wolfe
Smoky Mountain Magic
http://www.SmokyMtMagic.com
"We build AMAZING things"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Dan,

According to this website, Tony Slydini has been doing "Silk in Apple" since at least the 1950s. It might very well be his premise. I'm not entirely sure.

Then again, he does say this is Slydini's version of "The Silk in the Apple", which doesn't necessarily imply that he invented the idea.

Keep in mind there are magic historians that would have a better grasp on this than me.

I don't consider it a "borrowed" idea. My point was that it was more of a "classic" trick, for which you are presenting a modern twist.

- Donald

P.S. I haven't checked to see whats in Rice's Encycopedia of Silk Magic, on the subject of a silk flight / silk in apple / silk in dinner roll. That would be another reference. But a magic historian would know best about the origins.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
LOVE the looks of that prop! Similar in appearance to the BANG GUN that Barry Mitchell showed in his DVD. Don't know if he ever manufactured any, or just gave directions on making them. The POP idea (with POP cans) is awesome.

Steve
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4633 Posts

It does look great! I guess the William Tell idea isn't new, and clearly Earl didn't know of RJE's routine. A case of "great minds think alike".
;)
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I like the idea of that balloon holder being held in front of the volunteer. It "apparently" pops when the gun is triggered. It adds to the effect of the gun popping. Now where did I see this holder before? Was it in a kidshow dvd or a website? Was it Barry Mitchell? I don't remember.

BTW, do kids nowadays know who William Tell is? What could be a better more popular character with a gun? Rambo? James Bond? Transformers? Power Rangers? Star Wars?

Does anyone have this Pop Gun? It would be nice to hear a review before I get one. I know that Sterlini has good workable props. That chain saw is also in my wishlist.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Well, I've just ordered it! It looks like a great, entertaining prop.

I GREAT William Tell routine (with balloons) is on this fantastic DVD:

http://www4.mailordercentral.com/tmyersm......ber=4019

Mark
Razamatazz Magic
View Profile
Regular user
United Kingdom
128 Posts

Profile of Razamatazz Magic
What a great idea - We love the look of it !

Well done !

Andy & Sue
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I own the pop gun from smoky mountain magic. the props are well bulit to last a lifetime with proper care. the routine is well thought of and pretty clever. I generally do family and childern shows and the pop gun plays well. I have purchased several items from smoky mountain magic and never had any problms with any of their products. smoky mountain magic has great customer service. my 2 cents
Beowulf
View Profile
Loyal user
Thomas A. Lilly
284 Posts

Profile of Beowulf
Collector's Workshop produced Big Shot using a mini cannon that fired a watch across stage and into a box. Mid-flight, the watch shattered a kosher matzo cracker as proof of its trajectory.
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Just ordered the dvd Mark.
Sounds intresting. cant wait to find out what its like.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Wolfe's Pop Gun (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL