The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Amateur DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What is a good amateur DVD? I already have a rabbit puppet. I never tried him yet.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
What do you mean by amateur DVD?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
A ventriloquist DVD that teaches beginners. Something that teaches the basics first. Just like there are books of easy and simple tricks for those wanting to start magic.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Mike,
Try Paul Winchell's DVD - How to Become a Ventriloquist. It is available at:
http://www.ventriloquism101.com/products/videos.htm
about half way down the page.

That DVD contains everything from lip control to manipulation and it's taught by the master of both.
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thank you for your time, Tom.
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Mike,
join us at VentHaven and pick up lots of tips.
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
creativemac
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
834 Posts

Profile of creativemac
Mike,

over at eBay

How To Become a Ventriloquist by Paul Winchell (VHS Tape)
starting bid - $4.95

http://tiny.cc/Y3lR5
Donald Woodford

"Invite a Dummy, to your next function."
http://www.woodynfriends.com
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Mike,

I love the Winchell Instructional Video...it teaches you great stuff and you get a special treat of watching the great Winch in action Smile

I also recommend...

Bill DeMar
Bill Boley
Mark Wade
Liz Vonseggen
Bob Rumba

After watching instructional videos...watching some pro vents in action will also help...you will notice the different styles of the top vents in the world as well as the difference in the type of target audience based on the materials they have.

So far I have seen the performance DVD's of the ff vents and thay are all awesome.

David Pendleton
Jeff Dunham
Tom Crowl
David Strassman
Darren Carr
Bill DeMar
Bill Boley

A lot of YouTube clips are also very useful...I watch the ff vents over and over again.

Edgar Bergen
Paul Winchell
Jimmy Nelson
Senor Wences
and the living legend...Willie Tyler

plus other top vents like

Dan Horn
Jay Johnson
John Pizzi
Otto and George

and the list goes on and on...

Wanlu Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks, Donald. But I will not be able to make it this year. And thanks for the VHS tape info.

Wow, Wanlu, I was afraid of the list going on with so many DVDs.
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Dynamike

Watch the performance stuff. Watch everything you can find on YouTube, performance DVDs etc. The only thing the instructional DVDs have, that these clips don't is a description of how to talk without moving your lips. You don't need to be told how to do that...you can already do it by using the tongue and the back of your throat.

For my money ventriloquism is largly about acting ability or what vents call 'separation'. In other words; Does the character exsist as a separate entity to you? Are we a 'we' as opposed to a 'me'? The problem is you can't really be taught that skill. In that respect an acting class is more valuable than a 'How to do ventriloquism DVD'

Watch all the greats, get yourself a puppet that fits your act and then start to do it. Work it in (with some good jokes) slowly every show. do it..live it!

Good luck!

Dean Atkinson
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 20:21, Dean A wrote:
Dynamike

Watch the performance stuff. Watch everything you can find on YouTube, performance DVDs etc. The only thing the instructional DVDs have, that these clips don't is a description of how to talk without moving your lips. You don't need to be told how to do that...you can already do it by using the tongue and the back of your throat.

For my money ventriloquism is largly about acting ability or what vents call 'separation'. In other words; Does the character exsist as a separate entity to you? Are we a 'we' as opposed to a 'me'? The problem is you can't really be taught that skill. In that respect an acting class is more valuable than a 'How to do ventriloquism DVD'

Watch all the greats, get yourself a puppet that fits your act and then start to do it. Work it in (with some good jokes) slowly every show. do it..live it!

Good luck!

Dean Atkinson

I'd echo everything that Dean says - excellent advice. Acting ability and manipulation are far more important than lip control and you can learn a lot from watching performance clips. Remember that not all communication is verbal and see how performers use mannerisms and body language to convey what the puppet is THINKING.

Then go out and do it! A lot!

And Wanlu - you missed my DVD off the list!! Smile
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Kimmo...

You have a DVD ? I have seen your stuff on Youtube and was knocked out!

You are one funny guy.

A DVD ???? Tell me more....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
DOH ! It is listed in your signature below your post.

Couldn't see the forrest for the trees...

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
763 Posts

Profile of rockwall
"Kimmo's first DVD, featuring a full performance at a Junior School (children aged 7 - 11.)
Extra features include two bonus routines, fimed at Center Parcs Sherwood Forest and an audio commentary track."

Kimmo, I can't tell from reading the ad copy if your DVD is just a performance DVD or if it includes explanations and/or training. Can you tell us more about what is on the DVD?

Thanks,
Mike
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
Mike - It's performance only although there is an audio commentary on the vent routines where I chat a little about the technical side of it (although I tend to ramble a bit as well)

There is a thread on the Little Darlings where people have posted coments about it:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......start=30

Sorry to hijack this thread for a sales pitch!! It really wasn't intentional!
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Kimmo is a perfect example of all the points I was making in my post. Perfect characters and character separation fused with solid comedy. Excellent lip control too! GET HIS DVD!

Sales pitch working.

DA
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Kimmo, at some point you might consider just a DVD of your vent routines. Shoudn't be too hard to compile from current footage, adding in an interview and chapters thoughts to fill it out. You always look fantastic!

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
By watching Kimmo on Youtube, it really inspired mt to become a Vent. I do have his DVD set. I love it.
manal
View Profile
Inner circle
York ,PA.
1412 Posts

Profile of manal
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 08:40, tacrowl wrote:
Mike,
Try Paul Winchell's DVD - How to Become a Ventriloquist. It is available at:
http://www.ventriloquism101.com/products/videos.htm
about half way down the page.

That DVD contains everything from lip control to manipulation and it's taught by the master of both.
Tom

This is also available from Netflix on DVD. I just watched it the other day and was impressed with the quality and info.
Life is too important to take seriously.

james@jamesmanalli.com

www.jamesmanalli.com
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I found the right puppet by accident. He was sitting on a chair in a promoters office, and the promoter didn't want him. I took him away that morning, and that afternoon I put him in my show for the first time. The vent was very rudimentary at that stage.

I went to a drama teacher for a few weeks, who taught me a bit about voice production, and helped me separate my voice from the puppets. Most people can do this instinctively - they can mimic to some extent. But I am tone deaf, and it was a struggle for me.

Once you have a voice for the puppet, the main struggle is to make the puppet a distinct character. Watching clips of good performers helps a lot here. Youtube is great. Lip control seems to fall naturally into place with practice, but the main job is to make the puppet come alive. Once you do this, you are well on the way to having an act. It seems to be one of those areas where you just have to go out and do it until it comes right.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Amateur DVDs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL