The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The great routines... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
In my youth, Johnny Mathis was music perfection. I attended every concert I could, and Misty always transcended reality- it was magic. For that reason, few have tried to cover it.

I recently attended MagiFest, very excited that Shawn Farquar was to perform. His close-up routine was great, and I eagerly awaited his performance at the Headliner show.

This was even better, his ability to play off of the audience was a lesson to all. I was disappointed, however, that there seemed to be no way he would do Shape of My Heart. No screen, no way.

How wrong I was. With his lovely wife operating the camera, HE DID IT! Down came the screen, and there it was. It was perfection- beyond all you could ask for.

I have seen a lot in my life. This is in a class of its own. In my humble opinion, this has to be one of the best, if not the best, magic/music marriages of all times. It almost makes me wonder which came first - the routine or the music! I hope few try to "cover" it also.

What other routines approach perfection in your opinion?

Jim
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
fotballski
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
183 Posts

Profile of fotballski
I've heard Wilson Bear's performance at the Blackpool convention was as epic and close to perfection as possible.

Someone (Don't remember who it was) called it "The greatest performance of all times" !

But then again, I didn't see it and therefore I can't utter my own opinion on the matter, but rumours has it that it was THAT good.

Did anyone see him and/or the performance?

Regards,

Daniel
"Someone creates a trick, many people perfect it, but its final success in front of an audience depends on the person who presents it"

René Lavand
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
I would have to put David Copperfields Dream of Aces in that category. The music seems to have been written for the effect. The hook is also great. It sets up the specs, emotionally.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
643 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
I'd have to say Rene Levand and Juan Tamariz are both capable of weaving the spell.
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Coin Menagerie by Armando Lucero
Jonathan Smith
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Smith
Norm Nielson, Channing Pollock.
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
It was like this every time I watched Slydini perform. Just enthralling. Not only the way he captured spectators, but us supposed magi as well. The cool thing was that he truely delighted in fooling people - you could see it in his face and body language. When he knew he had you (which was pretty much always), he would get an impish smile on his face, lean in, and let the magic unfold. Pure delight.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-03-02 22:29, Gary Dayton wrote:
It was like this every time I watched Slydini perform. Just enthralling. Not only the way he captured spectators...

I couldn't agree more. I've seen a lot of "easy" routines become absolute magic when performed by Slydini. I've seen nothing but pure, simple beauty from him.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Tommy Wonder's act the last night of the A-1 convention (was it in 2000? Maybe 99?) is still the closest thing to perfection I've ever seen in ANY performing art.

And, while I'm not a big fan of stage magic or dove magic, when Shimada spins that cane and it stops suddenly with a dove sitting on it... I know how he does it and it still amazes me every time. I had the good fortune/misfortune of following that act at a convention a few years back! Youch! Thankfully, I went over okay because I was a talking act with lots of audience participation. But let me tell you, I was sweating bullets!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4877 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Richard Ross- rings and watches
MrMandrake
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of MrMandrake
I would have to agree with Mandarin - Shawn Farquar - has the most superb handling of a pack of cards and the music makes it a masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkYNAwdFH9M

Copperfields version of McDonalds Aces is also perfect and no it wasn't written just for Copperfield - it is from the 1989 movie "Cousins" with Ted Danson. Great Romantic comedy - and I usually hate those kinds of movies.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Harry Blackstone Jr with the floating lightbulb. Always magical.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 12:13, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
Richard Ross- rings and watches

I would have to agree with Larry, Richard Ross with his rings, watches and cards. He was very good with cards on stage. Ger Copper was wonderful as well.

Close up, it's hard to beat Slydini, Derek Dingle and/or Albert Gosman who I saw at the Tannen Jubilee's in the mid-1970's.
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17288 Posts

Profile of joseph
Lance Burton's dove act....Is that why he's in Vegas? .. Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » The great routines... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL