The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » SAM overseas (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Is there a local assembly in Okinawa, Japan?

I'll be moving there in June, and was wondering if you guys have anything going over there.
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
The only SAM assembly in Japan that I know about is SAM Japan which is based in Tokyo. Although there are SAM members where I live in and around Nagoya, there is no assembly, and my guess is it will be the same for you in Okinawa.

On the other hand, Nagoya (and probably Naha) has a large number of independant magic clubs going. I'm a member of two myself. It helps that I speak Japanese, but I have an American friend whose Japanese is very limited, and he was doing well in one of my clubs before I became a member. You'll probably have more success in Okinawa since there is a large U.S. military presence there, and many more English speakers.

So, in a nutshell, I stayed a member of SAM as an international member, and joined a local club. Hopefully you can do something similar if there is no SAM assembly where you will be living.

Best of luck,
Bill
Merlina
View Profile
Veteran user
Maria Ibanez
370 Posts

Profile of Merlina
Greetings, there is a representative in Japan and he is very, very active with the SAM. You may contact Steve Marshall at magidude1@aol.com. He is a regular columnist for the MUM and in fact has an article in there this month.

Keep a dream in the making for you create your tomorrows by what you dream today.

Maria Ibanez
President 07-08
society of American Magicians
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Thanks a lot guys for those responses.

I will definately still be a SAM member (the thought of not staying a member never crossed my mind) but I REALLY want to become a lot more active within the SAM and start interacting with and associating with more magicians, because I know that I am not taking advantage of my opportunities with SAM unless I do so.

It just seems that everywhere I live never has an active assembly....
SteveMarshall
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of SteveMarshall
Hello,
Okinawa is a great place. I'm sure you'll enjoy it there. I am in Tokyo but I can try to find some magicians down there to put you in touch with. There is now an active SAM assembly there at the moment. If you're in the military and there are other people stationed there, and there are interested in magic, you might be able to start an assembly on the base. Please drop me an e-mail at magidude1@aol.com and we can talk about this some more. I think you'll like it here.
Take care,
Steve Marshall
SAM RVP Japan
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 18:01, SteveMarshall wrote:
There is now an active SAM assembly there at the moment.

Just to make sure, you meant "not" rather than "now," correct?

Bill
SteveMarshall
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of SteveMarshall
Hi Bill,
Oops! Yes I meant "Not". Sorry about that.
It just goes to show how one letter can change everything!
What are you doing in Nagoya? I'm down that way performing sometimes.
Take care
Steve
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I don't want to sidetrack Poveglia's thread, so I'll send you an e-mail in the next couple of days. (The wife is telling me to hit the furo now, so I don't have time...)

Bill
Poveglia
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando, FL
238 Posts

Profile of Poveglia
Thank again guys, and Steve I'll definately shoot you an email soon. I don't report to Okinawa until June, so I'll contact you further when that time approaches.

And if there isn't many people on Oninawa that are interested in magic, trust me, they will be once I get there! =P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Society of American Magicians! » » SAM overseas (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL