The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » My theatre friends need Help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
Hello guys, I am an independent filmmaker and theatre artist from India. I am also a student of close-up magic and Mentalism.

I got a mail today morning from one of my very talented and acclaimed theatre friends who is mounting an experimental play (Garbo) on an almost zero budget. Knowing my background in illusions, he wanted help from me for creating a visual on stage.

Here's what the mail reads :

Hello,

The set of Garbo comprises of transparent plastic drapes from all three sides being fed on to the stage to create a feeling of a pit. while behind the plastic is a black backdrop which is about 2 ft away from the plastic drape. Hope this vague info helps you to get the idea of the setting. Now what I need is to create a stain on the centre of the plastic sheet infront of the backdrop.the scene happens so...Garbo is shot dead with her back to the audience , centrestage and then a red spot appears on the plastic behind which slowly increases in size as a stain.

For this we thought some kind of chemical will be helpful. We have no info on that. It is not possible to put a projector to project an animated stain.

I have tech rehearsal on 5th and need to try out things before that.

PLEASE HELP .. If you need any more clarification please call or mail.

Since I don't have much of a background in stage illusions, I am not being able to think of a solution for this problem. I was hoping some helpful people here on the Café who are in the know might be able to help.

Thanks in advance,
Chaitanya.
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
This is for a movie?
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Chanku
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of Chanku
Quote:
On 2009-03-01 23:47, The Great Zoobini wrote:
This is for a movie?

No. Stage.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
What about projecting the stain? No mess and its always the same in every performance.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
What about one of those big "water guns" that kids use? Thicken the water with something so that it will better stick to the plastic, and have it shot from a small opening in the black backdrop.
Dan McLean Jr
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here are some fake blood recipes to try: http://theaterhelper.com/content/view/117/37/

I'd just use a bulb syringe to splatter the blood onto the plastic. The syringe can be concealed in clothing quite well, although you have to be careful to make sure that it doesn't leak or get squeezed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » My theatre friends need Help! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL