The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mini McBride? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 21:37, Peter Pitchford wrote:
Actually, I have found that many of McBride's students do a lot of immitation because he teaches students to stand a certain way, pose a certain way, bow a certain way, produce cards a certain way, etc.

I'm not crazy about it. Maybe the kid's a McBride student? Maybe not.

Interesting. You see, I am a student of McBride's and I don't perform anything like him. However, I do take Jeff's advice extremely seriously in the development of my own performing character. Now, I don't think there's anything wrong in a performer adopting a similar style to McBride. But does any "student" have the right to copy another performer's act in that level of detail? I don't think so.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Give me a break! Jeff puts out a DVD or two on how to do everything we just saw and we expect noone to copy it?! The guy has good technical skills and one day might develop into something brilliant and original. It's not like he was doing this act on the Conan O'brien show. Get a grip people, the only people !@#$%ing are the ones that will never put the work in to obtain this level of skill. If you pimp out a video teaching everything you know and make money from it you deserve to be copied! Shame shame!
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
I disagree. Jeff has spent many years creating this act. The act WAS NOT taught on the dvd, just the moves!

If one doesn't obtain the skill level of this kid, then at least he's going to be original which is better in my opinion than to see a million McBride acts.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2009-03-03 16:45, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Hmmm not sure I agree with any of you, and I'm not sure Jeff would either (although I am not speaking for him). We all go through an imitation phase. If you say you didn't then you lie... Smile at least this kid knows it and admits it.

John,

I find myself somewhat agreeing with you on this one. Even Eugene Burger agrees that we should look at other routines and learn them. I still don't think I would have copied the routine move for move and even using the same music. In his defense, he did say it was a tribute to Jeff.

Good luck at Winter Carnival.

David
DonHarlan
View Profile
Loyal user
Richmond, VA
296 Posts

Profile of DonHarlan
This "kid" doesn't really look to much like a kid, and for an adult (18+) to completely copy and act from music to moves takes a lot more than just dedication. You couldn't just watch one of Jeff McBride dvd's once and learn the routine, this guy obviously put in a lot of time and then credited the work. As long as he credits the work and preforms under a tribute artist, then this is just like another tribute band or Elvis impersonator.

"imitation is the greatest form of flattery"

-Don
“Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.”-Tom Robbins
<BR>
<BR>“One man's "magic" is another man's engineering".-Robert A. Heinlein
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
I think it is one thing to be inspired by a performer and perform some of the same tricks, but adopting the same costuming and mannerisms/persona is not what I would call the sincerest form of flattery. Channing Pollock was the first of the modern dove performers, and although many followed in his footsteps, most were able to set their own stamp of personality on their acts. (I believe the first of the modern dove workers was Cantu, who appeared in Mexican costume complete with serape.) I remember reading (in a Will Dexter book I think) that a prominent British comedy magician started out as a Jay Marshall clone but eventually found his own unique persona.

It is interesting that Robert-Houdin is credited with abandoning the older costuming of a wizard's robe and starting the trend of performing in what was then contemporary attire. Somehow that contemporary style eventually became accepted as THE costume of a magician and white tie and tails persisted into the 20th century. It was refreshing to see performers like Aubrey appear in shirt sleeves and still presenting an outstanding manipulation act with cards and balls.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
I think it is unfair to Jeff McBride but at least "Mini McBride" credited Jeff McBride for the act.

Kenny
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 08:17, Darkwing wrote:
Quote:
Hmmm not sure I agree with any of you, and I'm not sure Jeff would either (although I am not speaking for him). We all go through an imitation phase. If you say you didn't then you lie... Smile at least this kid knows it and admits it.

John,

I find myself somewhat agreeing with you on this one. Even Eugene Burger agrees that we should look at other routines and learn them. I still don't think I would have copied the routine move for move and even using the same music. In his defense, he did say it was a tribute to Jeff.

David

What? We agree? Holy Cow, the planet just stopped turning! LOL

Are you going to Winter Carnival David? I hope so. What I am doing there is pretty revolutionary...
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 14:15, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 08:17, Darkwing wrote:
Quote:

John,

David

What? We agree? Holy Cow, the planet just stopped turning! LOL

Are you going to Winter Carnival David? I hope so. What I am doing there is pretty revolutionary...

John,

We agree on more than you might think.

Not going to Winter Carnival this year. Bummer, I have a show Sat. night.

I hope things go very well for you at Gatlinburg.

David
kipling100
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of kipling100
I think Jeff McBride is the only person that can get away with wearing that costume on stage. That video is just weird.
markis
View Profile
Veteran user
379 Posts

Profile of markis
Maybe since it’s a McBride tribute act its OK to copy to that extreme? I’ve seen a Zeppelin tribute band were all the guys look, dress and sound more like Zeppelin than Zeppelin did. Funny thing is the majority of the audience doesn’t know who Jeff McBride is much less his signature card act. Those boots that kid is wearing kill me. I want a pair.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
The difficulty with passing it off as a tribute act (like Markis mentioned) is that the audience in all likelihood
has no clue who McBride is. People know who Led Zeppelin is so the audience sees the tribute band in that context.
Unless you clearly advertise yourself as a 'Jeff McBride Tribute Act' the audience will naturally assume you are the originator
of the act itself and that to me is no tribute.
ibm_usa
View Profile
Special user
In Your Mind, Ky, USA
722 Posts

Profile of ibm_usa
Quote:
On 2009-03-06 08:50, agent61 wrote:
The difficulty with passing it off as a tribute act (like Markis mentioned) is that the audience in all likelihood
has no clue who McBride is. People know who Led Zeppelin is so the audience sees the tribute band in that context.
Unless you clearly advertise yourself as a 'Jeff McBride Tribute Act' the audience will naturally assume you are the originator
of the act itself and that to me is no tribute.

I dare someone to agrue against this!
"You may think that i only talk of things from the past, you know, history, well magic is history"

-Guy Jarrett

"Curiosity isn't a sin Harry, but it should be exorcised with great caution."

-Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire)
http://www.jordanallen-mentalist.webs.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Mini McBride? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL