The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bull Whips (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
I can't post this under any other topic. It's not really juggling. I suppose it could go under "not magical still" but I thought I would have better luck here.

I was telling a dear friend of mine about my newly acquired ability to swsw. I explained there weren't many that did it. He asked me how many whip artists there are as I taught him some whip tricks a few years ago. I replied that there wasn't as many as magicians and jugglers but perhaps more than swsw.

So, who else on here works with whips?

Will
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Aren't there quite a few? I think there are conventions for guys that do stuff like that, right? What I mean by "stuff like that" is, wild west arts.

B.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
Myself and Travis both use bullwhips, Travis actually targets while swallowing a sword and bowing. There are a ton of whip artists, but not a ton of professionals. Same way for knife and axe throwing.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Yeah, I know tons of jugglers that mess around with ropes and the like, but, as Erik say's not a lot of pros.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Not many hobbiest swsw. I love whips. Been performing with them for 9 years. One of my favorite parts of the show.

I have heard of the western arts groups but they are all in TX
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Sylver and I both do whip acts regularly.
I can think of 4-5 other performers I would consider whip pros.

But I actually know more sword swallowers.

And absolutely no trick ropers.
Gwyd
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Chris McDaniel is around somewhere, for trick roping. He's a great performer, and a good person.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There ae a bunch of western arts folks out there. Many of them work the rodeo circuit. And all the editions of Country Tonight and Dixie Stampede shows have ropers and whip acts.

I would think that there are more pro whip performers than pro sword swallowers.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
When whip folk joke, is it a wise crack?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
Hello Will,
Whip targets and cracking are part of my performance also. I recently held an informal workshop teaching 4-H youngsters about Target cutting with Whip then I was one of the Judges during their Whip Championships. See Video here:
http://www.tcpalm.com/videos/detail/whip-cracking-good-time/

Best wishes,
Cindini
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Wait for Danny Borneo to come in on this one.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Cindi
View Profile
Loyal user
Palm Bch, FL
285 Posts

Profile of Cindi
BTW, before anyone points out the lack of safety glasses... I recommended the use of them to the Event director. But it was'nt my call as a Judge.

Cindi
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
829 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Great video. I'm in Florida so if that comes back again I would love to be a spectator. Those kids were really working hard. I saw so many different types of whips which leads me to my next question.

What is your favorite type of whip and whip maker?

I have all Bull Whips. I would like a stock whip for fun but have been using bull whips for so many years I doubt I would trust a stock on stage.

I have four Terry Jacka 6' (ranging from 6 years old to 9 years old)
One 5' from Victor Tella (fast as all get out but not loud enough for our stage. Still a truly beautiful whip)
And my new pride and joys, a matching pair of John Brady 6' (these things take all the work out of it)
Oh, and one Florida whip from Dube. I can hardly work the thing so it hangs on my wall in my office.

The price of australian whips has recently sky rocketed so I may look into good old american whips. I have sent three of my whips off to David Morgan for some repairs to the fall keeper. He may become my new supplier. I'm addicted to whips. I also have my great grand mothers buggy whip. Over a hundred years old and from the time before automobiles.

Will
erikkloeker
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, Ohio
203 Posts

Profile of erikkloeker
We use mostly Paul Nolan (Made whips for The Run Down and Indiana Jones) 6 and 4 foot Kangaroo hide.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I believe Ken has used whips MANY times ...... but then hes always boasting about his wepon as well so you best ask him direct......
Rod Pringle
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of Rod Pringle
HAHAHA GOOD ONE HARLEY!! Now, my question is ...in the video the word COW WHIP was mentioned...Now if you use a cow whip on a cow ...do you get WHIPPED CREAM????

JUST A CURIOUS CITY BOY!!!

Magicman97
ROD
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
I have a 10' whip made by one of David Morgan's apprentices, Royce Vallejo. This same guy taught me how to use it over the course of about 5 months.
My best friend learned from the same guy and is very good at precision whipping.
He works with two other guys that he taught in a show that I founded.
I also understand that they bought more whips from another guy here in town who is fairly proficient.
So there's at least 6 in this town.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 14:43, Magicman97 wrote:
Now if you use a cow whip on a cow ...do you get WHIPPED CREAM????

No, but a cow with no legs is ground beef.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
And here I thought a Whipped Cream was something you found in a seedy movie theater in the East Village....
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2922 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
I would make a comment that those kids are young whippersnappers, but what I do is "just like comedy" and that comment is nothing like comedy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Bull Whips (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL