The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic Jack?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Hey guys.

I don't have a phone, but someone offered me one of those 'magic jacks" from the infomercials. He gave me a "glowing testimony"

I had heard some negative stuff about it, but thought I'd ask if anyone here has ever had any experience with the contraption?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
No first hand experience, but I found enough negative reviews on the net that I'll pass on this one........
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
OH no. Negataive reviews on the Magic Jack. I was just about to order it and try it out...for $19.95 how bad can it be?

What were some of the comments (bad reviews)? It sounds fantastic. Having said that, when something sounds this good it makes you wonder....
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
It sucks...it's junk...and they say you get your money back. Yeah...right. NOT!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Matt Watts
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of Matt Watts
I know when I do a search on my TV for programs related to magic it always shows the "Magic Jack". It is starting to make me mad. Ohh.the wonderful powers of the DVR. I will go to a convention and still not miss a single rerun of Star Trek.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Magic Jack- now that I think about it, it sounds like a rip-off of Vonage, with an extra required peripheral.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had Vonage at one time, and was less than tickled by it's less than stellar performance.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2009-03-04 01:39, Doug Higley wrote:
It sucks...it's junk...and they say you get your money back. Yeah...right. NOT!

OMG..Doug did you really thik you would get your money back????
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Many people are very happy with Magic Jack but I am not one of them for the following reasons.

1. $30.00 was taken out of my bank account about 3 days into the 30 day "free" trial.

2. When I complained to the online "live" operator (text messaging) she told me that no way was any money taken out of my account. Not true due to the fact that the bank made good the withdrawl of the little money I had but also charged me for non sufficiant funds.

3. About a week later I had another $30.00 taken out of my account and two days later recieved another Magic Jack (I did not order another one).

Magic Jack finaly returned the $30.00 after they recieved the second Magic Jack back but the now $60.00 total for the two non sufficient funds was never made good so the bottom line was a paid $90.00 for one Magic Jack which never quite work so well (lot's of dropouts while trying to talk).
I threw the other Magic Jack away and I still can't remove the Magic Jack program from my computer.

Skype costs me $3.00 a month ($30.00 a year) for outgoing calls to any landline phone in the U.S. and if I wanted to I could pay double and have a phone number so landlines can call me (I don't need this service).
Skype is free if all you want is to call other Skype user's on their pc's only (or the new PSP 3000).
Skype is very clean sounding and if you like you can have live video for free if you have a webcam.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
I've heard good things about Magic Jack, but I wouldn't want to use it myself.

For one, you need to keep a program running that displays ads while you use it.

And two, from what I understand their terms of service allows them to monitor what calls you make so they can target their ads to you. ie: you order a pizza from Domino's, and they show you a Papa Johns ad. I don't think they are actually doing this yet, but it is their plan.

If you really want internet phone, you should go through you cable company. That's my opinion.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Magic Jack?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL