The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Encyclopedia of suspensions and leviations by Bruce Armstrong (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2956 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Does anyone have any oppinions on this book? I have read that people like it but how well does this book describe the illusions so I can actually make a levitation effect for a stage show? I was hoping to find a method in which I can easily set up for during a show and possibly be able to do it with a random audience member.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
While it describes a number of methods for various levitations and suspensions and has a fair number of illustrations as well, for most of them you would most likely still need to draw up a set of building plans before you began construction.

Also, many require steel/iron gimmicks, and so some serious welding skills would be necessary for nearly all of those.

All that said, the book contains a wealth of information, and I have no doubt that you would be able to find something to suit your needs.

You might also want to check out "Device and Illusion" by Jim Steinmeyer. There's a terrific board suspension he calls "Hot Air" that utilizes a child from the audience. Dimensions and materials are included in the description of the method and props, so you wouldn't have to draw up a separate set of plans.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree with Donal -- the book will expose you to a variety of different principles and techniques, and is fascinating reading. But I doubt that you could construct a working model from any of these descriptions. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Fabricem
View Profile
Elite user
479 Posts

Profile of Fabricem
Great book , like sharpe style!
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Just like the title says.. it's an "Encyclopedia" a ton of knowledge is in there.. Like above you may not be able to build.. but with sooooo many methods.. IT may spark something of your own they you can create from all the ideas.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Is this book just about personal levitation or are there also levitations involving smaller objects such as balls, bills, cards, etc?
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
It's solely about the levitation or suspension of a human being.
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
Over the years, I've built and used many things from this book.
For an illusionist, it's a must have book.
Ted L
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Encyclopedia of suspensions and leviations by Bruce Armstrong (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL