We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Lefty in a righty world... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SilentTuba
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
65 Posts

Profile of SilentTuba
I recently decided to get a bit more serious about my card magic, and have ordered the first two volumes of Card College. I am very excited about the prospect of diving headfirst into these books, and even though I know a few sleights and can perform a few good tricks already, I intend to start for page 1 and get everything I can from this book.

The issue I've had in the past when learning magic, especially from a book, is that I am left handed. With most sleights and flourishes, I find it more comfortable to perform them the opposite way it is taught in the book. I deal cards from my right hand to my left. I overhand shuffle holding the pack in my left hand, and peeling them off into my right hand.

My question is this....since I am going to be starting from scratch with Card College anyway, would it be worthwhile to *truly* start over and begin learning everything right handed??? I ask, because as I go farther into the Card College series, I am afraid reversing the instructions to suit me as a lefty will get harder and harder. What are the thoughts on the Café??
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
You don't have to begin learning everything right handed, just get the instructions and adapt them to the opposed hand.

You can get Darwin Ortiz and Bill Malone stuff, they are very good and they both are left handed.
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Tomer
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
113 Posts

Profile of Tomer
I'm a lefty as well, and there's no need to change everything you do to the other hand.
You said you're afraid it would become harder and harder, but it would just be easier with time, and you would automatically read "left hand" as "right hand" in no time.
You might have trouble doing certain things like peeks that are described in the book, and for that I suggest you do practice to do it as a righty.
Same goes for magic videos, you just do everything the opposite, why should it bother you when it comes to books?
The Mysterious Kid
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious Kid
I belive holding the deck in the left hand as a righty, only comes from dealing at the card table, and since the more difficult part is to toss the cards, this was done with the right hand. I belive that's the only reason why we do it.

When I started I learned a few moves with my right hand first as a matter of fact I can still do the one handed shuffle better with my right hand.
So If I where you I would definitely use my left hand as a lefty.Escpecially since your're not used to use your right hand jet?!

Other things to keep in mind are:
Spreading the cards from hand to hand should be done from left to right due to the indices.
Fanning the cards as a lefty will produce a blank fan and glimpses are less common for leftys.
Glenn Morphew
View Profile
Elite user
Chicago
486 Posts

Profile of Glenn Morphew
Another thought regarding video learning is, if you watch your tv screen via a mirror the visuals will be transposed correctly for you.
Visit www.povmagician.com for
The Rub-a-dub Deluxe Suite
The Morphew One Hand Top Palm
Bob's 3 Shell Boot Camp and more...
SilentTuba
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
65 Posts

Profile of SilentTuba
Quote:
Spreading the cards from hand to hand should be done from left to right due to the indices.

Something that became obvious to me when I first started using an invisible deck! I have learned to spread left to right, but it is no where near as clean or comfortable as right to left, but it's passable.

Quote:
Fanning the cards as a lefty will produce a blank fan and glimpses are less common for leftys.

Strangely enough, for a one handed fan (as well as a Charlier Cut, for that matter), I can *only* do it well with my right hand. I've never been able to produce a good thumb fan or a pressure fan, with either hand.
"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." -Frank Zappa
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Darwin Ortiz has a peek for lefties that is great.
Magic is a vanishing art.
Alexander Wells
View Profile
Veteran user
311 Posts

Profile of Alexander Wells
Quote:
On 2009-03-07 15:39, edh wrote:

Where should I look for this? Is it in a book or a dvd?

On the subject of watching dvds as a lefty, I find it rather handy, as when watching a right handed performer front on, it is as if watching myself in a mirror. Not so easy on the performers view though.
Steven Youell
View Profile
V.I.P.
3866 Posts

Profile of Steven Youell
Quote:

He actually has several. But almost all of them are not in print..

SEY
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
I would recommend that you do magic as a right handed person if you are a LEFTY. Trust me. I am a lefty and I do magic right handed. All the HARD stuff is done with the hand that is HOLDING the deck.

Pass is a lot easier when you have your strong hand as the deck hand. Raise rise, Culling becomes easier becuase if you did it as a lefty the pips will be facing the wrong way.

John Carney does magic left handed and he is a Righty. He explains all these reasons too.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 09:15, Neal Alexander wrote:
Quote:

Where should I look for this? Is it in a book or a DVD?

On the subject of watching DVDs as a lefty, I find it rather handy, as when watching a right handed performer front on, it is as if watching myself in a mirror. Not so easy on the performers view though.

It is in Vol. 2 (video) Scams and Fantasies. It is called the Sinister Glimplse and is a left handed peek.

It is also in his book Scams & Fantasies.
Magic is a vanishing art.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Hey Tony! Congrats on the new release. Nice work.

I'm a lefty and when I started learning from Bobo's I learned things as they were described (right handed), because it was easier to learn that way. But when I started doing card magic, I already knew how to deal, and shuffle and it didn't feel right to do things right handed.
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
If you have problems with fanning, try this :
http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/aca......rds.html
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
973 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2009-05-27 22:29, HMAC wrote:
If you have problems with fanning, try this :
http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/aca......rds.html

The cards shown are Waddingtons and are also bridge size. These are as common in the UK as 'bikes' are in the USA, but the quality over the years has dropped considerably!

All the best,

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - At The Table Lecture - Life's a Beach Vol 1 - Life's A Beach Vol 2 - Alas Chris and Jones.
HMAC
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of HMAC
If I am not mistaken, the bicycle low vision also are "four cornered". And the regular size writing is on the upper right.
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
If you've got any instruction material on video, video editing software can help. For example, there's some free software you can download called Free Video Flip and Rotate*. If you have tutorial DVDs or videos(which you'll need to convert to digital files), you can use this software to flip the video horizontally and turn righty instruction into lefty instruction.

The indices and any text will be flipped, but you can't make an omelette etc...

Cheers,
Nosher

* If you install this software, make sure you answer no to the "Would you like to also install our toolbar...?" questions - always a pain with this sort of thing.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1522 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
I ask, because as I go farther into the Card College series, I am afraid reversing the instructions to suit me as a lefty will get harder and harder.

It's really not that big a deal to read "right" as "left" and vice versa. Just do it. Re-learning card magic with your non-dominant hand seems a little extreme.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I know a serious card mechanic that says being left handed is an advantage. Various peeks, and deals are more deceptive from the south side.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jell92
View Profile
New user
Denmark
93 Posts

Profile of Jell92
Well Pete... I can tell you that he is completely wrong! I am left handed myself (well actually only when it comes to cards, but I hold a pen in my right hand:)), and first of all when left handed spread the cards the pips are the wrong way (which makes culling harder) second, almost any standard peek does not work and as already mentioned we have to reverse the instructions from books.

So no, being a left handed is not an advantage!
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
When I was a kid I started out Left handed and my parents and the Nuns in Catholic School changed me. I hold a pen in my right hand, throw with right hand but do meagic left handed, shoot pool and shoot a bow lef thanded.

From what I heard changing a kid from lefty to righty messes you up and when you grow up you become a magician.

I believe John Carney is a lefty too.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Lefty in a righty world... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL