The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lighter. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
This book was given a very positive review by one of our club members recently, as was "Card College Light; so I ordered a copy of "Lighter" for $35, planning on adding "Light" later on. What a disappointment. I instantly regretted buying the book. You can get most of the tricks from any other previously published work, such as Mark Wilson, Karl Fulves, & John Scarne, just to name a few. I got a lot more out of Michael Ammar's "Easy To Master Card Miracles" series. I'm hoping to unload this book at out next club auction. Of course, "Card Collge Light" is now off of my shopping list.

Sir Richard.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
Easy to Master Card Miracles and the material in CCLight are two entirely different things. What is your criterion for judging the effects? Are the effects, in your opinion, weak?
I take it you already have most of the effects from this book in other books. I'm not sure that this is a reason to automatically disparage the contents within.
I don't have the book, but knowing what I know about Giobbi, there are touches (Giobbi) imbedded in these effects that you won't find anywhere else. You might just want to give it another chance later down the road.
elbruno
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of elbruno
I have both CCLight and CCLighter, as well as self-working card tricks in books by Mark Wilson and John Scarne. First of all, I don't believe that "many" of these tricks already appeared in those particular works; in fact, Giobbi is meticulous about noting the sources of the tricks in both books. His footnotes are extensive.

Second, each of the tricks have been carefully described with subtleties and presentational ideas thrown in. These books are not simply collections of tricks; the theory behind each trick's presentation is, in my opinion, the most useful and best part of each book.

If each of these books were simply a rehash and compilation of other magicians' works, I could understand your disappointment...but they all sport that Giobbi "touch".

Of course, everyone has their opinions about what they like and don't like. The Ammar videos are good; these are different...evidently, they are not what you were looking for.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
That's ok if people pass this by, there is great material in these books. As a pro I found some gems.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Sir Richard I'll be happy to buy it off you.

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Back to the future from Card college Light is an absolute killer. It frigs more people up and is a real worker....

But then again, what thte frig do I know?
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
How about "Muscle Reading" from CC Light? People rightfully rave about Ben Earl's "Ramjollock," and here is an effect using the same principle that is easier to get into (if you can cull) and just as powerful. I certainly wouldn't write these off.
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
The only real issue I have is that Giobbi does seem a bit taken with Darryl's "Untouched," which can be found in ETMCM. Giobbi provides TWO presentations for this one effect, one in Light ("Back to the Future") and one in Lighter ("Spectator does a Trick"), which seems like a double dip, especially when neither presentation is that different from the original.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On 2009-03-12 11:53, SeaDawg wrote:
Back to the future from Card college Light is an absolute killer. It frigs more people up and is a real worker....

I second that. Great principle, great presentation. I'm doing it for many years now and have even fooled some magicians with it.
Sir Richard
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of Sir Richard
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 23:13, Ben Train wrote:
Sir Richard I'll be happy to buy it off you.

Ben
Thanks Ben, but I already sold it to our club Pres.! I'm not going to debate anyone else on this as I've learned a long time ago you can't argue with success! You all seemed to have had some degree of success with it. However I have developed my own style over the years & found that M.A.'s stuff more fitting. Just a matter of preference I guess.

S.R.
"In the land of Murphy there is but ONE law!"
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
I've bought the book but haven't even read it yet!
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Have been performing for 20+ years and have never such elequoent descriptions of these effects! Truly a wonderful book. Looking to add Lighter soon.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
DaveS
View Profile
Veteran user
New York
329 Posts

Profile of DaveS
Can anyone who has read Card College Lighter offer insightful comments on or a brief description of some of the effects/routines? Thanks.
Dave
We shall not cease from exploration/And the end of all our exploring/Will be to arrive where we started/And know the place for the first time. (TS Elliot)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Card College Lighter. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL