The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need a photographer . . . any ideas? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
Hey Café folks!!

I'm redoing my show/website/branding etc. and need some good magic promo shots. I want something really marketable, hip, and professional and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of people in the Southern California area. I know there are some GREAT HEADSHOT photographers in LA, but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or recommendation to someone who specializes in shooting magicians/live entertainers.

thanks!!

Michael
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
At every magic convention I have attended, there was a photographer available who would set up appointments and make publicity photographs. I believe it was a lady, and her work was superb. As I understand it, she is the photographer for many of the "big names" in the magic business. Her name escapes me right now, but I'm sure someone will know her.

I'm not sure where she's from, but check a nearby convention line-up to see if she will be attending.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Ann White??
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Ann put away her camera years ago ...

Steve
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1388 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Let me look through my stuff..

Many of my friends are professional protographers.. butI'd try these two first..

Tell them Mike the Makeupguy sent you.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/402976 He's amazing.. artistic..and super nice.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/426081 She's also amazing.. has shot for Janice Dickenson.. so you know she's patient and wonderful.

I'd try the top one first.. he's sometimes busy..but as yuou can see. he's super creative.. and will do a wonderful job.
paw
View Profile
Loyal user
239 Posts

Profile of paw
Try Andy Amyx he is one of the best in the industry. He has photographed
Joshua Jay, Keith Barry, Jeff McBride, Dan Sperry as well as many other magicians,
Rock stars, and famous models. As many of you know he is also an outstanding magician
So he is perfect for our industry!

In my opinion, he’s the best in the business
Here is his email:
amyxdove@surewest.net
AnthonytheMagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of AnthonytheMagic
Michael,
I have to second that Andy Amyx is a great photographer. He shot many oh my photos. You can go to my website and check out the check pic... That's everyone fav. MIne too!!!
Andy Amyx all the way!!!

Just my 2 cents!
Anthony
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2009-03-09 12:00, Chezaday wrote:
Ann put away her camera years ago ...

Steve

That's who it was! I'm sorry she is no longer in the business. She did nice work. That gives you an idea of how long it's been since I've attended a magic convention...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Thanks guys for the kind words. If Michaelstellman wants to come up north to shoot great. Oherwise the other photogtapher should do a great headshot. There are a ton of photographers in LA.

Andy
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Stellman... where are you located, that would have been good to include in your post.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Mysterious
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Mysterious
This place did my (magician) friends photography, and it looked awesome.
http://parris-studios.blogspot.com/ Located in Southern California.
I also had another (magician) friend have his wedding done by the same photographer. Both of them were very satisfied.

Oh yeah, & Andy Amyx ROCKS!
Senor Rai
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Senor Rai
In my day photos were VERY important, as some older pros can tell you. I knew a big agent who looked at who did the picture, before looking at it! Mine were always MAURICE SEYMOUR, KRIEGSMAN, BRUNO OF HOLLYWOOD,
and BLOOM in Chicago. (Blackstone, Cardini etc.) Now they don't even know what a hair or chin lite is (well some anyway) And you should always check your key light. They don't retouch like they did, so it's a whole new ballgame. I have ALL my old 8" by 10"'s and it's great remembering those days.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
As a photography major in college, working 20 years newspaper and doing studio work, Rai hits a good point. There is a big difference between a photographer and a shooter. A shooter shoots a bunch of stuff and hopes something clicks. A photographer closely, plans, lights, and poses each and every shot. It is not a matter of shooting a lot of exposures.

When I started in high school, mentor gave me a speed Graphlex ( the old time press camera), two sheets of film and told me to cover the high school basketball game. You waited for the moment because you only had two chances. Now they shoot thousands of photos with a motor drive on digital and keep what they want. They are not even sure if they get the photo. I love to see a guy take a photo and the first thing he does is looks at the back to see if the photo is right. I never knew until I got out of the darkroom.

I had photos taken by a popular :"photographer". I set up the best shot I had. The rest were not that good,. I love to look at the work of Maurice Seymour. His use of light and posing to tell a story is unmatched. Look on line at even the burlesque performers photos he did. They were incredible. I wish I had the time to do my photography the way it should be done. Most promo stuff I see could have been taken in the Walmart photo studio.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Senor Rai
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Senor Rai
You are so right Richard,at my last shoot at Kreigsman, they had my old pal Maurice, come in (He Liked me) and set me, and did the lighting for me. His eyes were bad so Jimmy (Kreigsman) had to focus for him. The results were fabulous, I will always remember the charming older gentleman coming in to do that for me. Maurice did ALL the stars, the day of my first shot, Carol Channing just finished (I didn't even know her then) his walls of the studio were covered with everyone on Broadway, and the All acts, (who could afford him) from nightclubs and variety. Kreigsman followed in his footsteps, Jimmy and his lovely wife became close friends. He was doing all the rock stars etc. The new people do not seem to know the difference from a from looking flat or one that is molded with light. Jimmy's son was still doing it a few years back, but no studio lights, settings, just a reflector and a hand held camera. For all the newcomers, look up all the old famous magicians and compare their photos with the new, the diffenence is startling! Ah, Richard, what memories! Rai
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I don't do still photography but I've been filming magic shows in HD for Brent at the Magic Apple down here in LA (and for a few other magicians as well). I love filming shows so I do it very cheaply. Money is nice but I have a nice income already so I don't need the money. I'm a visual effects editor on Hollywood Films so I also offer up my editing and dvd authoring services as well.

It's just another side hobby.

Allen
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Ann White has done pix for me 3 times over they years.

Pic to left is one of hers.

She knows wheat she's doing when it comes to Entertainers.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1800 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
The last I heard Anne White is no longer doing photography. If you're ever in the Tennessee area, I'll give myself a shameless plug:
http://mmessing.zenfolio.com/f285166544

I've been a photographer nearly as long as a magician. (33 years as a photographer and 37 years as a magician.)

Michael
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you want racecar shots... I'm your man... but I don't have a studio anymore, and much retired... Started shooting in 1950 for a living.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Need a photographer . . . any ideas? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL