The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Master of Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..15~16~17 [Next]
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Well, that had to be most enjoyable one so far.
Levent was pretty good, Eric Bus' snake thing is always good, Rick Thomas' illusion looked great, and of course Mac King... always great.

But I just got to say this, and really do hate to say this.
I want to like Krysten Lampart, I really do!
But I am sorry, she stinks.
She shouldn't be doing close up at all.
If you can't even do a good pen through bill.. then you shouldn't be out on the street.
But then she did that sword basket.
And there were some parts that were ok... the hand was nice.
But other than that... well...
First the sword basket doesn't fool anybody!
The swords are pointless. They barely even go into the basket.. so lame.
But then it was hard to tell if I was watching a magic show or an exercise video.
Krysten if you are reading this.. stop listening to who ever is telling you what to do.
I like you, I want you to be good, but you need help.
If you weren't blonde and cute, you would be in trouble.
Geez.. contact me and I will help you as much as I can.
I am not trying to mean, and I didn't want to say this... but I just couldn't take it any more.

Randi
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Randi,
You said it quite well. I saw Krysten perform in Reno doing the same type of stage movements. I thought this is ok for a kid act but not in the real world. I do hope that she gets some direction from some other sources. These are the people that will take magic forward.

I thought the special was better than several others but I still feel rushed. There is no developement of a routine. It is slam bam do the trick and get out. Even the people with polished acts suffer under this format. Levent probably came the closest to getting away with it because he works so fast anyway. Mac suffered because he never got to develop his character.

I'm glad this is airing and I commend Gay Blackstone for spearheading this project. But maybe a slightly slower pace and a little retooling can make this work better. It just seems that a lot of magic is being performed with a lot of time to present it properly.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What a waste of Dale Salwak's time...some cane manipulation and a Silk Fountain. Mac King gets way too much time to do a cards across. (I'm sorry but the "Aw shucks!" bumpkin routine does nothing for me...but that's just me.) Levent seemed to get the most out of his alotted time slots. Synchronized snake cans???? Where was the mastery of illusion in that? This must have been the comedy prop show. Nathan Gibson can continue to do the street magic segments but Krystyn and the other kids have to go. I was almost prompted to tune in to the MM, but I decided on "Monday Night Raw".

These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
Kingsport,TN
52 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
Nathan Gibson has been GREAT. Not only good selection of effects but performed well too. Krystyn is just not ready to be put on TV. Levent was ok. I enjoyed Rick Thomas' levitation. I really like Eric Buss but the snake can thing just doesn't do it for me.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6188 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I didn't get to see it, but I'm sure Nathan killed. I've watched this guy since he was a shy young guy coming into the Castle and now he's developed some serious chops. Way to go, Nathan!!!

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Which one was Nathan again?
If he was the older young man doing card tricks, he was pretty good.
If it was the kid with hat, the bad pass, poor patter, and the card in the mouth... I don't agree.

Randi
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Personally, I would like to see something OTHER than card magic being done close-up. There is so much good stuff that isn't cards and coins out there.

If they do a second season (Isis forbid) they need to get a consultant who knows something about production. There should have been costume changes so the performers don't look like they only have one set of clothes each week.

Is this too much to think about?
Official Thread Killer
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
721 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I thought the show was ok. Joe Monti and Levent were very good. Krysten was horrible..she really screwed up the pen through bill. It was my first time seeing Eric Buss..I liked the snakes. Nathan is good but maybe needs a little make up. Mac King is always great but I agree he needs to establish his character. The guy with the illusions didn't do anything for me.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I think I was very lucky to have two segments on the show. The first spot sets the tone for the stage character and therefore the second spot is easier for the viewer to take in.

I was surprised not to hear my original music during the Sympathetic SIlks. Like most of my music, I composed it myself on the computer, synthesizer and drum machine and I gave the producer's a document attesting to the fact that I was the composer and they could use the tune royalty free.

But as I watched the silk routine again it occurred to me the reason why they replaced my music. It seems that they edited out the patter from the first 10 seconds of the trick and by doing that it makes it really complicated to edit the music as well. So it would be easier to place a generic track on top of my patter.

All in all, it was a lot of fun doing that TV show. The production folks were really wonderful to the performers and it is great to have a video clip of my act that is recorded with six HD broadcast cameras!

I had taped a total of six routines and I wonder if I might have a few more spots on the show in the future?

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Just a quick post guys...
I watched some parts of the specials with a huge smile on my face! THIS show is positive for magic! We certainly need it don't you think?!
Levent, good luck man!!!
Eric
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I don't want to insult anyone but I turned it on late, was that kid with the card from mouth a boy or girl?

I like Krysten, she comes from a family of about 138 magicians and all of them were at IBM in Reno. What I liked about her was she and her girlfriends would dress up to tne nines and, true to form, the lil' teen boy magicians sat around looking at their black backed deck of cards ignoring the girls. Some other geezers and I would laugh and laugh about that. The only time she got their attention was when she whooped 'em in the stage contest for kids.
DCURTHRABE
View Profile
New user
Burbank, IL
78 Posts

Profile of DCURTHRABE
Quote:
If you weren't blonde and cute, you would be in trouble.
Randi

It seems these days that actual talent is secondary to looks, very sad for the future of magic in my opinion (whatever that's worth) Thankfully there are people out there like Randi, Bizzaro, Chris Lyle and many others who are creative, original and very talented performers that will help to keep our art alive and well.
Just my 2 cents.

Darren
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
Quote:
On 2009-03-10 22:43, Levent wrote:

I had taped a total of six routines and I wonder if I might have a few more spots on the show in the future?

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com

Doc Eason is wondering if he will ever get on. I haven't watched any of these, except this last one because Levent was on (no kidding - that's the only reason I watched). Doc mentioned in his emails that he hadn't appeared and was wondering if he's on the editing room floor.

It's a shame. They gave that young kid (who I don't think should have been on) all that air time and the guy who just won close-up magician of the year at The Magic Castle hasn't gotten anything. Crazy priorities.

Levent - you're the best!
Rich B.
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
632 Posts

Profile of Rich B.
I just read somewhere that Doc Eason will be on next week.

Rich B.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 01:34, MagicSanta wrote:
I don't want to insult anyone but I turned it on late, was that kid with the card from mouth a boy or girl?

I like Krysten, she comes from a family of about 138 magicians and all of them were at IBM in Reno. What I liked about her was she and her girlfriends would dress up to tne nines and, true to form, the lil' teen boy magicians sat around looking at their black backed deck of cards ignoring the girls. Some other geezers and I would laugh and laugh about that. The only time she got their attention was when she whooped 'em in the stage contest for kids.

I like Krysten too. That's why I want her to do good. The problem, she isn't.
As a child, she could come out there and do her little routine, and the old geezers would clap real sloppy and say, "oh, isn't that cute, she's cute."
Well, that doesn't cut it now.
Now she is on TV and grown up. It's time to be a star.
The exercise video doesn't cut it any more.
I only say this, because I see the potential and I want her to do good.

Oh.. the kid with a card in the mouth... it's a boy.
Which is funny, because I don't see why you would ask.
Are you one of those old geezers? Smile

Randi
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1345 Posts

Profile of Stucky
So far Levent has been one of the better people on that show. The first four were not that great. Luckily they got better... so far.
Official Thread Killer
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
Randi, krysten is a good looking young lady who appears to have loads of personality but it does not carry her through very awkward handling during her routines. her patter was forced. see I ripped it but look I really did not. yuck I hope she keeps working and gets better. It is people like her that may someday become the new FACE of magic.

Pete
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2009-03-11 22:51, phaddad2 wrote:
Randi, krysten is a good looking young lady who appears to have loads of personality but it does not carry her through very awkward handling during her routines. her patter was forced. see I ripped it but look I really did not. yuck I hope she keeps working and gets better. It is people like her that may someday become the new FACE of magic.

Pete

Yeah.. I know.. That's basically what I have been saying in this whole thread.

Randi
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
To be honest I didn't realize it was on and the channel was set when I turned on the TV. The first thing I saw was a kid that looked like s/he was vomiting and thought it was intervention or something. When the card came out I thought 'who is that kid? I can't tell if it is a boy or a girl'. The reason I ask was I was trying to figure out who it was and being a boy or girl is what I call a 'clue'. I knew Dons friend Zach was on and I couldn't tell if it was a Zach or a Zill. It turned out to be young Zach, who shouldn't wear a cap that covers his face on TV.

I was one of the guys looking at the boys wondering what was wrong with them.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Mynetworktv is sinking like Titanic. See my post in FFT.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Master of Illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL