The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Master of Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Go listen to what she actually said again. About the music and editing on the show.
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
Bernie Balloons
View Profile
Elite user
N.Y.C.
480 Posts

Profile of Bernie Balloons
I am surprised they have not had a clown on the show yet doing the needle threw the balloon My bags are packed and I am ready to go
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
One really weird thing John is that some performers are saying that they do have their own royalty free music and they STILL replace it with their own stuff. Levent reported on this. I believe he wrote the music himself, but still got it replaced.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Well... Gay talked about that.
The music was replaced because they were supposed to do like a 5 minute act, and they did a 20 minute act. So it had to be edited, and so the music had to be replaced so it would fit.
That's pretty fair.

Randi
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Last nights show seemed incredibly rushed. Not only the editing, but the performances as well.

Nathan Burton started to walk towards the mic and then the narrator started talking.

I would rather see 3 performers do 20 minutes in an episode than 20 performers each doing 3 minutes.
-Matt
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
I would rather see 3 performers do 20 minutes in an episode than 20 performers each doing 3 minutes.

I have to agree with you there Matt.

Randi
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 15:22, randirain wrote:
Quote:

Randi

Exactly! Way too much crammed together with no context. It looks like somebody lined pictures from the various acts on a bulletin board and threw darts to determine the line up.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
Did'nt Gay say that the network forced her hand as to what acts she could put on. WanThey wanted to appeal to a specific demographic.(young)
Pete
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 17:18, JRob wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Randi

Exactly! Way too much crammed together with no context. It looks like somebody lined pictures from the various acts on a bulletin board and threw darts to determine the line up.

Wow, so you HAVE been in a network TV production meeting! LOL

Look guys, go listen to what Gay says at http://www.magicnewswire.com - She sold a network on a concept and they they told her how it would be done. They are the customer. In most every other case most magicians would argue with me that the customer's wants and needs are the most important thing to cater to. This is the exact reason that I do not offer custom shows anymore. But can we for once agree not to all act like hermit crabs in a bucket?
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
jackstevens
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jackstevens
An explanation as to why the show is the way it is - is simply that, an explanation, the explanation doesn't make the show any better, it's just a rationalization for why it sucks.

It is impressive that the Masters show was sold, Gay should be commended for that. What's more impressive is when a sold show can work within the parameters it's sold in, and still be high quality. Obviously this is rare. Most TV sucks, magic or not, not just this show.

It seems like TV failures are the norm. That's why everyone gets so excited when a show gets all the elements right. Often the tv shows that get it mostly right are the one's with the big ratings, on the big channels, that go on for years. The others disappear quickly and are soon forgotten.
JRob
View Profile
Veteran user
Central South Carolina
395 Posts

Profile of JRob
Given the parameters the network gave her (and considering this network's track record) it's amazing that it's watchable at all...which was what I was trying to say, albeit badly, to begin with.
"Jim Roberts, AKA: Professor Jay Rob "<br>
The Professor's Facebook Page
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1612 Posts

Profile of randirain
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 20:12, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 17:18, JRob wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Randi

Wow, so you HAVE been in a network TV production meeting! LOL

Look guys, go listen to what Gay says at http://www.magicnewswire.com - She sold a network on a concept and they they told her how it would be done. They are the customer. In most every other case most magicians would argue with me that the customer's wants and needs are the most important thing to cater to. This is the exact reason that I do not offer custom shows anymore. But can we for once agree not to all act like hermit crabs in a bucket?

To be fair... we are not comenting on what should have been done despite the network, just what we would like to see.

Randi
phaddad2
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of phaddad2
Randi.......Good Call on that. I hope that it at the very least holds it own rating wise so they will book another show that may me set up a little better. On another note I really enjoyed Gays interview on the magic news wire.
Pete
jackstevens
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of jackstevens
I also enjoyed Gay's interview and although I may have been harsh speaking about the show, because I dislike it, this is not how I feel about Gay, who seems sincere, experienced, and well-spoken.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
802 Posts

Profile of meyegr
I watched for the first time this week and turned it off after a few minutes.
Came in during this act with a guy (can't remember his name) skip jumping on stage opening a trunk with a girl inside. Very bad stage presence. Boring!!'
Then some young girl did CMH "on the street" that was terrible.
I turned and watched something else before I puked.

Is the show all like this??
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
No, it gets worse if you keep watching.

Quote:
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
721 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Why are they allowing the young lady to do the street moments, she is butchering some good tricks. The guy with the trunk was bad, why dance with the locks after taking them off?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-03-18 11:00, meyegr wrote:
I watched for the first time this week and turned it off after a few minutes.
Came in during this act with a guy (can't remember his name) skip jumping on stage opening a trunk with a girl inside. Very bad stage presence. Boring!!'
Then some young girl did CMH "on the street" that was terrible.
I turned and watched something else before I puked.

pretty much...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought Mondays was one of the best. Do you think they could get rid of the illusionist on that show and still call it Masters of Illusion? You certainly can tell the difference between guys like Mead, Eason, and AJ and those other guys.

Yes, the lovely young Krysten did a terrible job on CMH.
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1132 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Monday's show was the best because there was a shot of me, Brian Oschab and John George sitting in the front row of the audience. At least we were reacting . . . Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Master of Illusions (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL