The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
My father in law recently gave me a shell he has had for several years. He doesn't know who made it but I am thinking Johnson because it looks awesome and it fits perfectly over all my coins (half dollar) but I have never used a shell and am not sure what to look for- which bring me to my question: the shell doesn't fit completely over the coin-there is a slight gap at the bottom edge. Is this normal? If so, is it something I should worry about??
-Chris
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1135 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Normal for a Johnson.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Typical for expanded shells, even from the top names
MagicMunkey
View Profile
New user
Nashville
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMunkey
Thanks for the info guys. That was my guess but like I said, I have no experience with a shell.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Some of the expanded shells have cover on the edge really well, you really can't see that the coin has a shell on it. I'm saving up for a set of Morgan's, but right now I'm using Tango and Johnson shells on Eisenhower's and Kennedy's.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Some of the better coin gaffers may have something with a bit more cover.
here2009
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of here2009
Yes, it's normal. Most shells I've used are like that.
MacIrish
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MacIrish
Seems to be normal for most, besides, who could see that the shell didn't cover the coin - how close are your spectators looking? and Why ?
rayraysleights
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of rayraysleights
I have a lassen shell set and it is like that. it has never been a problem.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8697 Posts

Profile of Mb217
That is the key statement here, "It has never been a problem." Smile Honestly, if you are using a shell even half decently it will not be detected whether it covers or doesn't cover completely. Specs do not notice in the least so really it is not a problem. A guy that can use a shell pretty good could use any shell and still perform with it effectively. Sometimes we make up problems for ourselves in all this stuff. Not to mention that a magicians perspective is usually a more informed view on magic, even his own magic and typically they are critical sometimes beyond the necessary reality of the effect, gaff, etc. I'm not a big gaff guy but I can use a shell effectively enough and whether or not the shell covers the coin completely or not is a non-issue in the presentation. I guess there might be some folks that have the eye of an eagle somewhere but barring that, it's nothing to worry about. Better to use your time practicing and then just get on with it. You'd be surprised at what people don't see and the only reason why you see it is because you "know" of it...otherwise you wouldn't notice it either and if you did you wouldn't know what the heck to do with such knowledge conceptually. Good luck with it, it's a real nice tool. Smile Oh and personally I like the Johnson's shell, it's pretty good for the price and quality make.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
558 Posts

Profile of Motor City
HollowMan,

I would suggest that you pick up a copy of "Modern Coin Magic." You will find many uses for the shell in that book. Good luck.
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Totally agree with Mb. Plus I think that anyway the spec should not be aware there could be a shell, because if he suspect it at the bginning the trick will be weak and what ever the label of the shell.
just my 2 cents opinion.
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
Shells are excellent tools, you've been given Great advice in this thread, use it.
I second the recommendation to buy (if you don't already have it) Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo. It is the coin workers bible. (so to speek) For a beginner or expert you can't beat the valuable knowledge that can be gained from that book.

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
As explained elsewhere, if you do stand up shows, it is not a problem.
However if you do a routine where spectators are sitting and have a lateral view (like chink a chink or the portable hole...) It may be.

Todd Lassen, Jamie Schoolcraft and Xavier Belmont: all make some sets with a [ covering the complete edge of the coin.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL